Hordes and Warmachine - rules differences

Discussion for anything related to Hordes, Warmachine or any Privateer Press games.

Hordes and Warmachine - rules differences

Postby me_in_japan on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:30 am

Sooooo, thanks to the fickle tides of love that flow through a certain Admiral's veins, I have been bequeathed a bunch of trollbloods, mine to do with as I see fit, so long as I paint em. (Just to clarify, he bought them to spite his life partner GW. He's largely indifferent to me, personally :lol: )

What I was wondering was: since I already own the Warmachine book, is there much point in me forking out 27quid for the Hordes book? So far as I can tell the only differences lie in the way Warlocks/Warcasters work. i.e. pages 73 to 82 of the Hordes rulebook.

Can anyone out there with more experience of the game (ToD? ennui?) please confirm for me that these are the only different rules I will have to wrap my head around? (Although I should say that reading through the Hordes book was rather beneficial for me. I realised I've been using my warwitch siren and soul hunters completely wrong, and that they are actually a good deal better than I had thought. +2S on the charge? yes please!)

Thanks in advance :)
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Hordes and Warmachine - rules differences

Postby The Other Dave on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:58 am

Yeah, the core rules are exactly the same - the differences are "just" between the Focus and the Fury resource mechanics (that includes a couple of wrinkles in the way beasts work as well, so it's not just limited to how war<foo>s work). BUT, you really do need to know those differences back to front when you play, and AFAIK the only way to get the rules is in the book.
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 78 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby ennui on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:22 pm

The Other Dave wrote:Yeah, the core rules are exactly the same - the differences are "just" between the Focus and the Fury resource mechanics (that includes a couple of wrinkles in the way beasts work as well, so it's not just limited to how war<foo>s work). BUT, you really do need to know those differences back to front when you play, and AFAIK the only way to get the rules is in the book.

This. Also, animii work differently.
ennui
Veteran

Postby me_in_japan on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:58 am

Cheers folks. I PMd ToD and the situation is now clarified. Thanks for the input. :)
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Return to Hordes/Warmachine - ホードとウォーマシーン