first war machine games.

Discussion for anything related to Hordes, Warmachine or any Privateer Press games.

first war machine games.

Postby Colonel Voss on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:08 am

Yesterday, Prim was nice enough to come up and fight a few games of warmachine with me to introduce me to the rules. It was a smashing victory for Khador.... then again both sides were playing Khador so no surprise there :mrgreen:

First game was 15 points with me playing Sorscha against Strakov. Both sides had two jacks, I had mekanicks and a hunter and Prim had winter guard. It was an interesting game with Prim constantly hurting my jacks and the meks working their rear off to keep them operational. His Bezerker failed to explode twice and my Juggernaught had fun slowly picking it apart. He then saw a chance to take down my jugger and brought his caster out and the behemoth (I think) came over to join in the bashing. But the mechaniks came in and saved the day restoring the juggers arms. And Sorscha came out and froze his caster in place long enough for the Jugger to smash him up. MVP for my side the mechaniks.

25 point game was a grudge match between epic Sorscha (me) and epic Butcher (prime). I had an infantry based army with winter guard with gun and Grigorivich, mechaniks and pikemen with one Kodiak. Prime went with three jacks and two mercs, one being the elf. Slow advances by me (hmmm wonder why) and rapid advances by him (is there any other?). One jack (jugger?) got ahead of itself and got thrown back against the behemoth by the kodiak and turned into scrap metal. The elf picked off some winter guard and went for sorscha but failed then died under a winter guard version of a 21 gun salute. The other merc picked off my gun. His demolisher cut through the poor mechaniks guaranteeing they wouldn't be fixing anything. Then while the kodiak and the behemoth were duking it out, the butcher came to play. Smashed up my kodiak pretty good then turned around and mauled his behemoth (rolled a 17 for damage!), leaving only one point left. My pikemen came in, finished the behemoth off and sorscha critical froze the butcher (double damage) while the kodiak gave him a nice big bear hug. Win for Sorscha again. MVP for my side, tie between the Kodiak and the Butcher :lol:

So at the next warmachine event, if you see a big guy with a brown paper bag over his head, you know why. ;)

And to be fair, he mauled my Minotaurs in turn 1 with his 'nids so he got even with me pretty well. :oops:

Over all fun and it has given me a lot to think about for building my warmachine army. I'm going to go slow but at least now I have a better idea of what I will be doing.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without
Colonel Voss

Re: first war machine games.

Postby Primarch on Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:01 am

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: All true I'm afraid. Oh well.

One small thing though, I was using Black Ivan, not Behemoth. Two very different 'jacks there.

Sorry about the 40k game Voss. :?
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby Colonel Voss on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:39 am

Too many jack names. can't keep them straight besides beast 9.

Right now my painting goal starting tomorrow will be to get Sorscha and her two jacks painted. Thanks to a small splurge by Prim, I had some money to order the first of my new units. Hopefully I will have the first three painted before the order comes through.

Before I had played Prim, I had spent some time getting to understand the concepts of casters and synergy, and I'd also threw together a few theme based lists to give me an idea of building an army.. I have to admit, it's a bit hard to wrap my mind around but it has such unique properties to it. The games have changed my views on a lot of things so building up will be a slow process. I have to admit, I'm actually relieved about that. I think sometimes with 40k/fantasy/FoW, there is a strong desire to get to a huge army ASAP. But I think warmachine really encourages a slower building process. And with such a small model count, it is the perfect way to get back into painting rather than facing one of my huge armies. Buy and paint, then buy when there is nothing more to paint.

I spent a little time today browsing through some of the other armies. While I am in no way planning on jumping onto another army, I can see myself building a second someday in the far future. But most of all, it really brought a great deal of appreciation to the level of thought that PP has put into these games.
-Alten Ashley

Colonel Voss

Postby me_in_japan on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:53 am

it's a bit hard to wrap my mind around but it has such unique properties to it. The games have changed my views on a lot of things so building up will be a slow process.

But I think warmachine really encourages a slower building process. And with such a small model count, it is the perfect way to get back into painting rather than facing one of my huge armies. Buy and paint, then buy when there is nothing more to paint.

I agree with Vossy 100% on this. Go slow. I initially managed this with WMH, but then slipped up and bought a bunch of stuff that still hasnt been done. Still, it's a sound theory, and will stand you in good stead.

I spent a little time today browsing through some of the other armies.

yeah, that's where I first started down my slippery slope... :oops:
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Colonel Voss on Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:49 pm

It's a temptation yeah. But I don't feel the massive rush to get into another list. In 40k you can take special characters and they alter the list around, but if you want a truly different feel, you gotta go with another army more or less. With WMH, I feel like there is enough diversity in feel through the different casters that adding a second army isn't as tempting as it would be otherwise. The main worry I have is to try to build for too many casters at once.

For now, I'm just going to focus on Sorscha and eSorscha. I'm probably not going to be able to pull the same stunts as I did on Prim, but I feel comfortable with their styles. Build slowly and from there and well we shall see what the next step is when we get there.
-Alten Ashley

Colonel Voss

Postby The Other Dave on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:15 pm

It's one of the nice things about Warmahordes - you can often get a still-viable list with a totally different feel just by switching casters out. I still don't have any units that aren't in the core rulebook for my Legion army, and I'm really only hindered by my own poor generalship. :D

Wait, that's a lie. I do have one support solo from a later book. Still.
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 78 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Return to Hordes/Warmachine - ホードとウォーマシーン