P3 paints

Discussion for anything related to Hordes, Warmachine or any Privateer Press games.

P3 paints

Postby Colonel Voss on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:04 pm

Anyone use them before? If so, how do they compare to citadel colors?
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without
Colonel Voss

Re: P3 paints

Postby me_in_japan on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:16 pm

me. well.

I have several. They're very comparable to citadel. They actually do a few colours that citadel dont do. My must-haves are Coal Black (a dark turquoise) and umbral umber (a dark brown). These make ace cool and warm shading colours respectively. Stick either of em in your base colour, and shade away.
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Colonel Voss on Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:37 am

how about bottles drying out and mixing paint? easier to do or what? and the inks, are they any good (never used inks before)?
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without
Colonel Voss

Postby me_in_japan on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:27 am

theres no discernible difference bewtween P3, vallejo, and GW paint. I havent tried reaper, but i suspect theyre the same too. So, mixing them is no prob, and is in fact recommended. I have about 50 or so GW paints, about half a dozen P3, and maybe a dozen VMColour. I dont even look at the label to see what im using anymore, just the colour in the pot. The only exception to this is vallejo model air, which is for airbrushes. I have about a dozen of these, which I treat as a separate category to the VMC paints I have. I do strongly recommend using this VMA paint in the regular brush-on way, though. It is far superior to the regular stuff due to being ground much more finely than regular paint (so's not to clog the airbrush) and this results in better blends, mixing qualities, and ease of flow. You'll find it to be runnier than usual paint, but stronger in terms of coverage. The metallics are super-awesome-ace-on-a-stick.

The only paint Ive found that doesnt like being mixed is Tamoya, cos it uses alcohol based thinners. You shoudl still get some Tamiya clear red, green, and smoke, but dont mix em with other paints or gooperation happens.

paint-pot-wise, and drying out, the P3 paints are better than the GW ones (GW are notorious for being the shittest paint pots in christendom. Most CMoN painters actually decant them into vallejo bottles as soon as they buy them.) On which note: Vallejo paint pots rule. They never dry out, and its sooooo easy to remember colour mixes with them. (dropper bottles). You can buy empty vallejo pots for about 30p on maelstrom. I bought a dozen last time, and am strongly considering buying a big wodge of them to move my GW paints into.

Inks, I rather like. When I started painting, years ago, GW still made inks, so I kinda always used them. I have P3 red cos my GW one ran out a while back, and its fine. Inks are good because they are transparent, which is not the same as thin paint. They are good for glazing and adding colour to minis, e.g. when you over highlight and things look chalky, give em a quick glaze with an ink. The GW washes fill a similar role, but inks are more versatile. They handle differently, too.
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Tenorikuma on Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:42 am

Where do you get Vallejo paints in Nagoya?

(Do any of you use Mr. Hobby or Tamiya exclusively? That's mostly what I have on hand at the moment.)
Tenorikuma
Champion

Postby Primarch on Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:51 am

Tenorikuma wrote:Where do you get Vallejo paints in Nagoya?

(Do any of you use Mr. Hobby or Tamiya exclusively? That's mostly what I have on hand at the moment.)

Vallejo paints can be bought at a shop in Kamimaezu.
Directions can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=867&p=12257&hilit=vallejo#p12257
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby Tenorikuma on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:04 pm

Primarch wrote:
Tenorikuma wrote:Where do you get Vallejo paints in Nagoya?

Vallejo paints can be bought at a shop in Kamimaezu.
Directions can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=867&p=12257&hilit=vallejo#p12257

Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't get results with Tamiya and brushes.
Tenorikuma
Champion

Postby me_in_japan on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Tamiya has its uses. For example, when you're airbrushing Tamiya stuff is miles better than GW or P3, but then, that's largely what it's designed for. I find its really not happy at all when I try and apply it by regular brush (with the exception of the aforementioned clear colours.)

If you find that the LGS doesnt have a particular vallejo paint youre after, Maelstrom Games stock the whole lot and ship here for free if you order more that 10 quids worth. I know, I know, ive mentioned them before. Just saying, cos thats where I get my paints from :)
2018 totals
minis
Magic cards
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Return to Hordes/Warmachine - ホードとウォーマシーン