October WarmaHordes Tournament

Discussion for anything related to Hordes, Warmachine or any Privateer Press games.

October WarmaHordes Tournament

Postby Danguinius on Sun May 19, 2013 12:42 pm

Have you ever played in an official WarMachine/Hordes tournament? There are many styles of tournament for WarmaHordes (PP officially sanctions tourneys and provides guidelines on their site): Masters, Hardcore, Iron Guantlet and (the most common) Steamroller. Steamroller tourney rules can be found on PP`s site and downloaded free of charge. You can practice by making two 35-point lists following the guidelines in the Steamroller rule packet and playing some games using the scenarios and timing guidelines from the rule packet as well.

We are planning on having our second such steamroller tournament here in the Hiroshima area on October 13th, 2013. It will be held in Fukuyama (kind of on the border of Hiroshima Prefecture and Okayama Prefecture) at the community center, just a 5-minute walk north of Fukuyama Station. We`re still ironing out some details, but it`ll likely start at around 10:00 a.m. and cost 1000 yen a head (for renting the room and prize support). The tourney will be run by our local press ganger (Gannon) and he`ll be handling all of the tournament lists. specific rules and prize support.

We`re expecting wargamers from Shimane, Hiroshima and Yamaguchi to attend, so it should be a decent gathering of WarmaHordes players to test your skills against. I know it`s a bit far for some members of this forum, but that weekend is a three-day weekend, so you could turn the weekend into a small sightseeing trip of Hiroshima (with one day of wargaming!). Gannon and I will be updating this thread from time to time as we get more details and concrete info about the tournement. We hope to see you there!

Update: We had a meeting last weekend and actually decided a lot of the details. Here they are:

Event: The Japan Open - War Machine & Hordes Championship Tournament
Date: Sunday, October 13th, 2013
Time: 9:00 doors open, 9:30 registration begins; 10:00 tournament starts
Place: Fukuyama Civic Center (located just behind Fukuyama Castle, a 5-minute walk from Fukuyama station).
Players: 8-16 players can participate (This could expand further...)
Cost: 1000 yen per player. [color=#BF8000]1000 yen is for the tournament on Sunday, October 13th. There will also be free play on Monday, October 14th for 500 yen...yes, that is a national holiday. There is also now talk of a "nomikai" on the evening of Sunday, October 13th, but I haven`t heard anything about the place, time, or cost of this yet.

Materials: The tournament organizer will provide mats, terrain, and zone markers. Players are responsible for their own materials as written in the 2013 Steamroller rules.
Rules: This will be a 3-round tournament played under the 2013 Steamroller rules. Players must bring two 42-point lists from the same WarMachine or Hordes faction following the rules for special character restrictions. These lists must written/printed out and made available for the tournament organizer and each opponent. This tournament has a special provision that all models used in both lists must be fully painted (as per painting requirements listed in the Hardcore rule set).
Eric Perez - tournament organizer (vigilantecowboy@hotmail.com)
Daniel McCartney (rodserling@hotmail.com)
[/color]

Also, for those unfamiliar with the rules of Privateer Press tournaments, here are some links:

Steamroller rule pack (this is the tournament we will play)
http://privateerpress.com/files/Steamro ... ules_3.pdf

Hardcore rule pack (we will NOT play this tournament, but the painting requirements are listed here - page 2)
http://privateerpress.com/files/Hardcor ... ules_3.pdf

More information about the venue:
広島県福山市丸之内1−9−5
Hirosima, Fukuyama, Marunouchi 1-9-5
http://www.mapion.co.jp/phonebook/M1300 ... 000000044/

And, many of the players in this tournament have started a separate page condensing all of the tournament information in Japanese:
http://www3.rocketbbs.com/731/str2013.html

Danguinius
Last edited by Danguinius on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius
Danguinius
Champion

Re: October WarmaHordes Tournament

Postby Gannon on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Slight update with a few more details here, we've set the date (tba) and worked out a points value (42). This should be great fun guys. Looking like 8-16 players will be the tourney allowance, but if more people sign up then we'll adjust accordingly. Terrain, zones, control points, etc will be provided, but players are responsible for bringing all their own markers, armies, dice, rulebooks, etc. pertaining to their own lists.

We'll continue to bring news and I'll have Danguinius consolidate all the updates into the first thread for ease of reading/finding details.

One other thing, fully painted is required.

Paint or Die!

-Gannon out...
Play like you got a Pair!!
Gannon
Rookie

Postby Danguinius on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:54 am

Hi there,

Just a bump to keep things up-to-date and say I added a lot of new info to the original post.

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius
Danguinius
Champion

Postby me_in_japan on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:51 am

Ta for the update. I won't be able to make it myself (new baby, visiting parents, busy time at work) but I hope some folks from the area can make it down to reprezent da Naghammer posse :)
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Danguinius on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:41 am

MIJ,

Believe it or not, but I`ve heard that we will have players coming from Tokyo and possibly even further north (my buddies are collecting player info on the Japanese side of things). We did a very basic role call last weekend and we`ve already got the necessary 8 players and are looking at getting 16 now. Due to the wide geographical range of the participants, I`ve opted to title the event "The Japan Open". Since Gannon and I will actually meet Privateer Press staff (especially people associated with the Press Ganger and tournament programs) at Gen Con, we are going to try to get some official endorsement and maybe some push on the PP site. My buddies have also asked me, "Is it okay if we get more than 16 players?" which makes me think this might get bigger than I originally thought possible. So, yeah, I hope someone can come down and represent Nagoya...not to guilt-trip anyone, but I "repped" Hiroshima up at Nagoyahammer 4 times in the last 6 years (IIRC). :D

Danguinius
Danguinius
Champion

Postby The Underdweller on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:26 am

I might be able to come, -depends on if I can get the Saturday off and if I have enough money after Summer Holiday. How early do you need people to register? I have never been to Hiroshima outside of the train station, so it'd be a way for me to see a bit more of Japan, too!
The Underdweller
Champion

Postby Primarch on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:42 am

If I can convince my better half to take a trip, I will try to make it down there.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby Dungeon Lord on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:43 am

I would like to, but I am flying the family to Oz for Xmas. I am thinking it would be a nice trip, but it seems unlikely for me. Really wish I could though! I will wait and see, sounds like a lot of fun!
Dungeon Lord
Legend

Postby me_in_japan on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:38 am

I can vouch for Hiroshima as a city - it's probably my favorite in Japan. Good food, easy to navigate, and the people are unusually friendly and helpful (I've found.) If you have the time, Miyajima isn't too far, either. Worth a look, if you have time.
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Danguinius on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:39 am

Good to hear from you guys! It`d be cool if some Nagoya gamers could make it down - It`d be nice to play with prim, Dweller, or MIJ again...and Dungeon Lord - we have to get a game in oen of these days! You can register any time probably right up till a day or so before the tourney. Just PM me or email me.

It`s a good time of the year to travel (not yet cold, but after the brutally hot summer) if you wanted to turn it into a trip (with the family). As others have pointed out, you could hit Hiroshima (Dome, Peace Park, Castle & Okonomiyaki) and Miyajima (about 30 minutes from Hiroshima by train) as little day-trips the day before or the day after the tourney.

I hope to see some of you guys there.

Danguinius
Danguinius
Champion

Next

Return to Hordes/Warmachine - ホードとウォーマシーン