A guide to magic in RPG's.

Discussion of any Role Playing Games, e.g. Dungeons and Dragons, Shadowrun, Dark Heresy, etc.

Re: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. A guide to magic. Blog.

Postby ashmie on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:53 am

You arrived at the wizards tower in Weissbruck for my apprenticeship graduation.
Inside the hut was a strange room with moving humanoid plants. Now startled they begin to click towards you slowly. What do you do? http://pic.twitter.com/ccj7aDwA
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45
ashmie
Wargod

Re: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. A guide to magic. Blog.

Postby ashmie on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:26 am

Before this blog goes off any further into the realms of obscurity I want to wrap it up with a quick overview of how magic has changed in the 3 editions. I haven't had time to go into the detail of second edition and to do so would entail copying lots of material which would probably have the site in copyright infringment. So far I have quoted everything used in 3rd edition. If you get a chance to read the Magic book from second edition or even the core rules check out the Tzeencth Curse tables. Very interesting and funny.

To sum up magic usage in each edition.

WHFRP 1: Learning magic was a lot longer learning process which was suited to a campaign style of play.
WHFRP 2: Magic was again a long learning process but was more accessable to apprentices. They could try pretty much any spell if they had enough magic points but there was more chance it could go wrong and end up unlocking a Tszeenitch curse if they were unexperienced. This was half the fun.

WHFRP 3rd edition; Fantasy Flight games designed magic in this game to fit with the MMORPG generation of gamers so basically this is the best edition for Wizard PCs as you start with abilites and decent spells like Flameblast. New edition is by far the most sophisticated system in terms of gamplay, dice mechanics and imagining the action. With good roleplayers who can fill in the narrative gaps it could be set to be a classic. Baring in mind the people who play new edition are probably not the same crowd that would play the original versions. There is probably about a 20 years generation gap much like Advanced D and D opposed with 5th edition, which is on it's way. :o Different tables, different gamers. If anything it's good to know the games have evolved and been streamlined for new generations.
With the pigeonholing of what is and isn't an rpg system nowadays my only wish is the original freedom of the imagination of an rpg doesn't get overshadowed by the complicated game dynamics. I believe the two can go exist and rather than harking on about the golden age of 1986 and how good it was I would rather argue that the golden age of rpg is now. Of course 10,000 people play now as opossed to 100,000 back in the day but with pdf and the print on demand media on the increase there is more access to rpg products than ever before. Old skool stuff is re-released alongside new systems almost everyday. We are spoilt for choice.
Perhaps this is a topic for another time.
For now more power to the magic users in modern day systems.

But let me ask you this: if you were confronted with the minions of Chaos, if you were to fear for your life in the face of the bestial abominations of our enemy, if you were to stare into the eyes of blasphemous darkness, what would you rather have recourse to call upon - the almighty power of great god Sigmar, or a mere wizard? Erich Keller, Warrior Priest. Tome of Mysteries. '09. FF games.

Answers on a postcard to the usual address.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

ashmie
Wargod

A guide to magic in RPG.

Postby ashmie on Fri May 25, 2012 11:45 am

Is it wrong that I listen to this at least twice a day recently?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv5SkiRV ... ture=share

Brought back to this blog by Ars Magica. The ultimate in magic systems for rpg's so it goes. Anyone had any experience with this game?

Ars Magica 5th Edition
The Roleplaying Game of Myth and Magic

Imagine an age where myth is real and where the superstitions of the common folk hold true: faeries dance in forest glades, angels protect the Church, demons corrupt the weak, and wizards wield magic beyond the ken of other mortals. You play these magi, gathered in covenants with your allies and servants, unlocking secret powers and creating wonders. You and your friends will also portray the loyal companions and grogs who stand with the magi, as a buffer between them and the mundane world that often misunderstands their power and motives. When adventures draw you out into the medieval world of Mythic Europe, your stories are the stuff of legend.

http://www.atlas-games.com/arm5/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMZlPUh_Un8

ashmie
Wargod

Previous

Return to Role Playing Games - RPG