Dystopian Wars再来!

For the discussion of any other tabletop games. e.g. Malifaux, Dropzone Commander, Infinity etc.

Dystopian Wars再来!

Postby ennui on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:50 am

I just got back from watching 「山本五十六」, the Japanese film about the Japanese naval commander that led the Japanese Imperial fleet during WWII. It was a good movie and it was really interesting to see how a man that was totally opposed to the war work so hard to fight for his country (even though he wanted to end the war as soon as possible).

Anyway, the battle scenes were really cool, if sparse, and all the drama got me back in the mood for some naval battles of my own... So who's up for some Dystopian Wars? If anyone wants to learn how to play, let me know; I've got more than enough Empire of the Sun and Prussian ships.

By the way, I'm free the fourth, so if anyone's up for some gaming, let me know.
ennui
Veteran

Re: Dystopian Wars再来!

Postby ennui on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:42 am

By the way, Spartan Games posted some updates to the master rulebook, including streamlined tiny flyer rules and slight changes to some of the cards.

Did you know that the minimum movement of a model (2" for all naval and most medium and larger flyers) MUST be straight ahead? Well, that's one of the rules that's been clarified. All Empire of the Sun ships have gained an extra rule that lets them turn on a dime, though...

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/master-rulebook-updates
ennui
Veteran

Postby Konrad on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:09 am

I'd be up to give it a try one of these days. Damn the torpedoes. Just not the 4th, sorry.
I read a biography on Yamamoto, wish I could remember who wrote it, so I could recommend it. Fascinating character. I can recommend John Toland's "Rising Sun", a history of Japan during the War.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Wargod

Postby ennui on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:30 am

Konrad wrote:I'd be up to give it a try one of these days. Damn the torpedoes. Just not the 4th, sorry.
I read a biography on Yamamoto, wish I could remember who wrote it, so I could recommend it. Fascinating character. I can recommend John Toland's "Rising Sun", a history of Japan during the War.

Cool, thanks! I walked out of that theatre thinking, gee I wish I understood more! Time to read a book!

Let me know when you're up for a dramatic naval battle!
ennui
Veteran

Postby pdfitzg on Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:33 pm

I was looking for something smaller in scale than 40K and saw the fine figures from Dystopian Wars last year and immediately bought everything they had available (basically four fleet sets and carriers). Pretty neat game, but actually takes a larger table than your typical 40K game and played a bit more slowly than I thought it would. The rules were interesting but a bit confusing since it was 1st edition and needed some tweaking. Was moving and trying to get established at a new job, so I traded off the models and just focused on 40K, but traded them with a friend so I could play again in the future. I even bought him some Dystopian terrain for Christmas. Now that my buddy has the new rule book I'm looking forward to giving it a shot again. One strong positive about the system is that you can essentially carry every model in the series in one Battlefoam case.

Would love to hear your thoughts on revision 2 of the rules and see some pictures if any of you have them painted up.

Paul
Paul

Armies: IG, BA, SOB
pdfitzg
Rookie

Return to Other Games - 他のゲーム