Painting Vikings and Saxons

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Painting Vikings and Saxons

Post by Primarch » Fri May 19, 2017 2:59 pm

Krobrawlg wrote:Alright, thanks @Primarch, I'll give it another shot.
Ok, to post pics from Imgur to NagoyaHammer.
1. Go to Imgur.com and Sign In.
2. In the top right corner, click your user name and then the Image menu option.
3. Locate the picture your want to post and click on it, opening a new window.
4. In the bottom right corner click on Large Thumbnail
5. Find the option for Linked BBCode and click the Copy button.
6. Return to NagoyaHammer, click post a reply and then right click and select Paste.
7. Type out your post and you're good to go. :D
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat May 20, 2017 9:48 am

Ok, I have a few minutes, back to the tutorial.

Step Fourteen.
Painting the Bases.
Once the sand and glue has dried, you should turn the minis upside down and tap the base a bit to shake loose any excess sand. Then go round the edges and check that the sand is only on the top part of the base. As we're using movement trays for these guys, a layer of sand around the edges will make it difficult to fit them into the slot.
Once you're happy with that, get a dark brown and paint it all over the sand and around the edge of the base. You may want to add a tiny drop of water to help the paint flow between the sand more easily. Be careful as you go round the feet, but try to get the paint all the way up to the shoes. Let it dry before moving on to the next step.

Step Fifteen.
Skin.
This is where the mini starts to come to life. Go over all of the flesh areas with your flesh coloured paint, I usually use Heavy Skintone by Vallejo. If you feel it is a little to tanned, you can add a drop of light grey to make it paler, since most of these guys are from sunny Northern Europe.

Step Sixteen.
Skin Wash.
Once all the skin areas are dry, go over them with a flesh coloured wash. This brings out the detail and makes them look more like tiny people.

Step Seventeen.
Back to the Bases.
While you are waiting for all that skin wash to dry, you can go back to the bases for a quick layer. This is the closest thing to an actual painting technique in this tutorial. Pick out a lighter shade of brown/grey and put it on your pallet. Grab your roughest brush (don't use a good one for this step, if need be, buy a cheap kids brush from a 100 yen store) and dip it in the paint. Then, wipe the brush on the pallet until most of the paint is gone. Then, gently stroke the brush over the top layer of sand. The idea is to deposit the paint on the raised bits of sand without painting a large area. This takes a little practice, but don't worry about making mistakes, they can be covered up easily later. This technique is called Drybrushing and it is great for terrain and bases. It can be used for models as well, but requires some practice to get right.

Step Eighteen.
Eyes.
Feel free to skip this bit if you'd like. It's not necessary, but I like to do it. Once the flesh wash is dry, put a drop of white on your pallet and pick up your pointiest brush. Pick up a tiny drop of white on the end of your brush and then wipe a tiny, tiny bit off onto the pallet. The paint will usually form a bead on the end of your brush and you need to get rid of that. Then very carefully paint in the eyes on the mini. Take your time, clean your brush regularly and if you think the paint is drying out, put a fresh drop onto the pallet.

Step Nineteen.
Irises.
For this you either need a super pointy brush and a very steady hand OR you can cheat and use a very fine black marker pen. (You can get one called a Gundam Marker from the Joshin store, they come in several colours, but black is best). Very, very carefully put a black dot onto the eyeball of each mini.
Be careful where you put the dot and how big it is. Make sure that it reaches the top and bottom of the eye area. If it is surrounded by white, your minis will look like they are in a state of shock. Again, this isn't necessary if you don't want to do it.

Step Twenty.
Skin.
This step is just highlighting up the raised areas of skin on the mini. Use the same colour as you did for the first layer of skin and go over any raised areas, leaving some of the wash-shaded skin showing underneath. You want to put a layer over the nose, forehead, cheek bones, fingers and the back of the hands in most cases. This step also allows you to correct any eyes you made a mistake with.

Step Twenty One.
Hair.
Most of our Viking and Saxon warriors are hairy chaps, so let's do that part now. Pick out a few colours and paint the beards, moustaches and hair of each mini. Don't forget to see if there is any hair coming out the rear of the helmets.

Step Twenty Two.
Hair Wash.
No, not a new shampoo, a simple brown wash over the hair to give it some depth.

Step Twenty Three.
Flocking.
At this stage, the minis should be more or less done. Let them dry, completely. Once you are absolutely sure there is no wet paint on any part of the figure, it's time to break out the PVA glue again. You want to paint random blotches over the base of the mini, (covering up any areas you didn't like from Step Seventeen). Once you have covered roughly 50% or more of the base, dip it into some flock and push it around a little to get the flock onto the glue patches. Tap the model gently and set it aside in a box somewhere. Don't blow on it, the flock will go everywhere. (Word of warning, flock is REALLY painful if it goes in your eyes, trust me on this one). Give the glue a day to dry and then tap the base to shake any excess flock back into the packet. You may also want to get a brush and wipe any flock off the mini itself.

And that should do for now. I'll cover shields next time.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri May 26, 2017 3:11 am

Hey Prim, recommend any good source for images proper historical Vikings? Just to narrow the Googling down. I'm going to be painting a Viking Saga warband for a buddy back home. I warned him I'd probably paint them green and put them in a trukk, but he insisted. I'll have to stop watching Doctor Who and see this "Vikings" tv show.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri May 26, 2017 3:25 am

Konrad wrote:Hey Prim, recommend any good source for images proper historical Vikings? Just to narrow the Googling down. I'm going to be painting a Viking Saga warband for a buddy back home. I warned him I'd probably paint them green and put them in a trukk, but he insisted. I'll have to stop watching Doctor Who and see this "Vikings" tv show.
Google for Vikings Osprey, that should give you some images to work with. Osprey aren't always perfect on recreating historical uniforms and clothing, but they are pretty good.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri May 26, 2017 10:02 pm

Will do. Cheers.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Krobrawlg
Rookie

Post by Krobrawlg » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:23 am

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mgOQ1"><a href="//imgur.com/mgOQ1">Mellow Yellow</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I am slowly making some progress. I had a question about this yellow fellow:

My yellow paint is pretty coagulated; I tried to thin it with some matt white, but it still goops on as pictured above. Any tips on a thinning it, or should I just get a new yellow?

Krobrawlg
Rookie

Post by Krobrawlg » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:26 am

[img]<blockquote%20class="imgur-embed-pub"%20lang="en"%20data-id="a/mgOQ1"><a%20href="//imgur.com/mgOQ1">Mellow%20Yellow</a></blockquote><script%20async%20src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"%20charset="utf-8"></script>[/img]

Krobrawlg
Rookie

Post by Krobrawlg » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:28 am

Sorry, I think I finally got it:

Krobrawlg
Rookie

Post by Krobrawlg » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:29 am

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:40 am

Is the yellow one of the paints I gave you? If so, my apologies.
If you have some, try adding a little Matt Medium and shaking it a lot. Sadly, yellow is always a tricky colour to paint as yellow paints are usually fairly transparent and allow the colours underneath to show through. If you want to use yellow, try putting a beige/pale brown layer on first, give the mini a wash and then go over with the yellow at the highlighting stage. Put on a thin layer and allow it to dry, then go back and do it again, focusing on the raised parts of the model. Too much paint will make it look blotchy and putting a layer on too soon will give the paint a thick, rough texture.

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”