Basing Conundrum

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work

Should all minis in a game/army/collection have the same basing style?

Yes - All minis should have the same style of bases.
20%
Yes - Where possible, so long as they are all painted and flocked the same way, it's fine.
40%
No - A bit of variety never hurt anyone.
40%
No - Just go with whatever is easiest.
No votes

Total votes: 5

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Basing Conundrum

Post by Primarch » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:06 pm

I have a question I'd like some help answering. I have a bunch of minis from different sources that I want to use for the same game. However, the minis all have different bases and basing requirements.
For example,
Mini A - Slottabase style tab on the feet.
Mini B - Feet aren't attached to anything.
Mini C - Built in decorative base, but not a full sized base.
Mini D - Full base is part of the model.

So should I try to base them all the same way, just leave them as they are or something inbetween?
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Basing Conundrum

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Purely my opinion, but basing is one of the most critical elements when defining an army's look and coherency. You can have all kinds of weird crap in an army in terms of figures, but as long as they're based consistently your army will look like a coherent group of dudesmen. Conversely, having different basing styles on an army makes em look like a random collection of stuff you dug out of your drawers, even if the minis themselves are relatively homogenous. So, option 1 for me, fo sho.

*edit* I should probably clarify that I don't mean they need to have identical bases. As long as the theme is consistent, yer good. e.g. all on the same coloured desert bases, or on the same kind of eldritch ruin, or scrubland, or whatever. Likewise, it doesnt matter too much what shape/size the bases are. Again, content/location is what matters.

*edit again* re-reading your post, I think you and I have a different interpretation of the word "style" vis a vis how it applies to basing :lol: If you mean "actual physical shape of base" then I choose option 2. If you mean "stuff wot I stick to a base to make it look pretty, like" then option 1.
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:16 pm

Actual physical shape of the base.
For example, should I cut all pre-existing bits of base decoration from the minis and then glue them all to the same type of base, e.g. GW style bevelled round bases.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:44 pm

Agreeing with mij - having all the same style of base is nice, but as long as the theme of the decoration is the same I think it would come together all right.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 47 Infantry
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 48 Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 Titans, 6 Knights

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:45 am

ah, righty. In that case, a bit of variation in base size/shape is fine. As long as the basing method (sand, flock, whatevs) is the same, you'll be fine. If there are any minis that have totally wierd humungous/tiny bases, maybe it'd be worth the effort to rebase them, but as long as they all fall somewhere vaguely in between regular 25mm and termi-ish size bases, you should be golden. Certainly, hacking them off their reaper-style bases is probably not worth the effort.
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Auxryn
Champion

Post by Auxryn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:05 pm

I try more to be consistent across a squad rather than my whole army since my painting techniques and basing strategy will change with each new project I endeavor. That being said, I agree that consistent basing really makes a unit (or army) look cohesive.

This is a current issue for me as well because the 'space marine heroes' series of terminators has full scenic bases (which look pretty cool) built into each model. My other terminators are currently just sitting on blank bases. My plan is to use some random rocks and bits of Imperial terrain (thank for those again, Prim) to try and give the blank bases some similar pizzazz. I've also got a jar of Tamiya soil effect technical paint. We'll see how well it all goes for me.

My bottom line is that the scenic bases are pretty, and it would be a waste to rebase those models. I just need to make all the other bases equally pretty.

YellowStreak
Legend
Location: The stars at night are big and bright (clap, clap, clap, clap), Deep in the heart of Texas

Post by YellowStreak » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:18 pm

I think I misunderstood your questions too - I thought you were referring to stuff stuck on the base/ colour etc. rather than shape/size.

Shape-wise I tend to try and have similar shapes - if rounded than all rounded etc. I do agree that similar basing styles can link disparate minis together.
On the painting table:
Bolt Action Narvik Army
Necromunda Gor-liaths
Walking Dead Survivors/Zombies
Zombicide base set (so many zombies!)
Test of Honour Samurai
Rangers of Shadow Deep Rangers+Monsters
Astral Hams BigMarines

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:22 pm

I mean, it wasn't *that* long ago, relatively speaking*, when GW had us mixing round and square bases in a given army, and it wasn't a big deal.

*Or it seems like it to me. I'm probably betraying my age here.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 47 Infantry
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 48 Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 Titans, 6 Knights

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”