What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: What did you do today.

Post by The Other Dave » Mon May 20, 2019 10:35 pm

me_in_japan wrote:yeah - we've been discussing the ornament over on the fb page, specifically what colour it should be. That conversation did kind of miss the more pertinent question (which Prim has, as usual, put his finger firmly upon), to wit: What the heck actually is it?
I haven't read through the Sylvaneth battletome in any depth, but what I do know of the lore suggests it's a "soul amphora," basically a receptacle for the magical energy they use to grow their groves and instill them with the Sylvaneth-ness that lets trees turn into dryads or whatever - magic fertilizer, if you will. (It also explains why this particular fighter has a healing upgrade available to him.)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 47 Infantry
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 50 Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 Titans, 6 Knights

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed May 22, 2019 12:11 am

Primarch wrote:Not something that directly affects us, but this seems heartbreaking from a hobbyist's perspective.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lin ... e-48326572

tl;dr - Some vandals smashed up a model railway exhibit, trashing decades worth of people's work. :cry:

aye, saw that on facebook. I'm generally a fairly passive person, but damn, that kind of crap makes my blood boil. Genuinely wouldn't object to a public flogging for that kind of willful ass-hattery. I really hope the judge takes into account the emotional connection/effort involved in producing a table of work like that when they sentence the perps, and doesnt just have some accountant calculate the cost of replacement.
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 am

Primarch wrote:Not something that directly affects us, but this seems heartbreaking from a hobbyist's perspective.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lin ... e-48326572

tl;dr - Some vandals smashed up a model railway exhibit, trashing decades worth of people's work. :cry:
That's just sad. If you want to break sh*t, go find a junked car and go at it with a hammer or something. Put it on Youtube, create a viral fad. Fricken' kids. I mean, if the vandals had wrecked a wargame exhibit, you could regard it with a certain irony, but train geeks? I can't imagine a more gentle and harmless breed of hobby nerd.

@Tod- Might I suggest a slightly different color for the garden ornament. Elffllammeangho of the Ffrontyard!

...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri May 24, 2019 5:22 am

Not much hobby progress happening eh?
Me too, aside from working on the assembly of some Vikings for Koji, I've done nothing this past week. I'm feeling in a bit of a painty mood though, so perhaps I'll get my brushes wet this evening.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri May 24, 2019 10:08 am

I’ve been watching s8 of GoT. Gets a thumbs up from me, but I’ll say no more out of respect for spoilers.

While watching, I’ve been working on a conversion. Pics once it’s done :) It’s not an eldar, I can say that fo sho :)
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat May 25, 2019 2:05 am

I wrapped up Ylthari's Guardians today:

I really, really like these models, and had a lot of fun painting them. They're fantastic, characterful sculpts, and each model has a completely unique silhouette and lots of individuality. The fairly lurid purple and green color scheme is, I freely admit, heavily inspired by my Night Elf days in World of Warcraft. :lol:

Is next, Titans!
-----

Bugman74
Rookie

Post by Bugman74 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:44 am

Those look great Dave :)

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun May 26, 2019 10:13 pm

@bugman - thanks!

I started in on this guy over the weekend:

(Just dry-fit to show his hugeness.) It's interesting to compare Forge World's (they're in charge of AT) approach to plastic model kits with GW's - it's really much more detailed than it has any right to be at this scale, and the feet were an actual pain in the butt - the leg assembly is 15 parts (hips, 2 upper legs, 2 lower legs, 2 feet, 8 toe pistons) before you even put the armor plates on, and (as I discovered) you really kind of have to put it all together at once as the range of posing allowed by the legs and feet is seriously restricted by the armor plates - even this "basically the standard pose with the legs in just a hair wider stance than normal" required me to do some filing on the toe armor to make it fit. They could take some design hints from Bandai, I reckon.

Buuut, OTOH it does look good and your whole army is like 5 models so I can deal I guess.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun May 26, 2019 11:09 pm

The Other Dave wrote:...the leg assembly is 15 parts (hips, 2 upper legs, 2 lower legs, 2 feet, 8 toe pistons) before you even put the armor plates on.
So a beginner level kit then? :lol: That sounds like a fair number of pieces for a GW mini, but I guess AT is aimed more at the veteran segment of the market rather than the youth segment. It's still a lot fewer parts than a scale model kit though.
The Other Dave wrote:Buuut, OTOH it does look good and your whole army is like 5 models so I can deal I guess.
Because no-one ever buys more than the bare minimum for their armies. :D You know you're going to end up with a full Titan Legion, right?
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon May 27, 2019 12:30 am

Primarch wrote:
The Other Dave wrote:...the leg assembly is 15 parts (hips, 2 upper legs, 2 lower legs, 2 feet, 8 toe pistons) before you even put the armor plates on.
So a beginner level kit then? :lol: That sounds like a fair number of pieces for a GW mini, but I guess AT is aimed more at the veteran segment of the market rather than the youth segment. It's still a lot fewer parts than a scale model kit though.
I see what you mean, but it's less "number of parts" and more "number of parts with full articulation that don't stay together unless glued and you can't really see if they'll fit together the way you've assembled them until you glue them, but also you want to leave some parts off until you start painting because there's visible detail behind all those armor plates :exploding head emoji:," heh. I actually had to pry some stuff apart and attack bits with files and drills to get it to go together in the end, just because I posed the legs a fraction more widely than the standard pose. Having put a few gundams together over the years, I really sort of think the FW kit designers could stand to take a lesson in Fully Articulated Giant Robots 101 from Bandai.
Primarch wrote:
The Other Dave wrote:Buuut, OTOH it does look good and your whole army is like 5 models so I can deal I guess.
Because no-one ever buys more than the bare minimum for their armies. :D You know you're going to end up with a full Titan Legion, right?
Weeellll, definitely not more than a full standard 5-titan maniple. And some supporting knights. :? And then maybe a second Warlord for the weapon options? :oops: Oh, but that'll increase my options for alternate maniples... :o
-----

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”