Bridging the Gap - mixed language gaming.

A forum for people who need game information translating. If you have the skills and the time, please help your fellow gamers here. DO NOT POST COPYRIGHT MATERIAL. ゲーム情報の翻訳が必要な人のためのフォーラムです。もし能力と時間があれば、仲間のゲーマーのために手を貸してください。著作権のある物は投稿はしないように。
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Bridging the Gap - mixed language gaming.

Post by Primarch » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:12 am

Well, I bought Warmachine on the understanding that I would try and get in more games against Japanese players.
My first time out I played Dave, Matt and Justin. D'oh!
I need to pay more attention.
Over the past few weeks I have been making an effort to study more Japanese, but a lot of what they say still goes way over my head as sadly, my textbook is all focussed on school and business. There isn't a single 40k or WFB bit of vocabulary in it. :(
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:22 am

I hear ya Prim. I found a good way to learn more gaming vocab is to buy a game from Yellow Submarine, cause it comes with English (often) and the Japanese translation. Then sit down with my dictionary and write out key words. As long as you know how to decipher the kanji with the dictionary, it can be quite interesting, although very time consuming.

I have tried to remember words in game but I am too keen to get the game moving. I really should have a little note book to take with me.

Tau_Rebelz
Rookie

Post by Tau_Rebelz » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:09 pm

After reading the replies, I was planning on writing some heartfelt entry but most of everything that could be said is said and self-reflection just seems so depressing. :lol:

So instead I'll purpose a suggestion for all of us to try.

Instead of breaking off during lunch in the usual groups (foreigners on side and Japanese to the other), lets try getting everyone together or at lease mix in with them (its okay if you don't know Japanese, just give it a shot you'll figure out something ;) ) and try to get to know them more than just the casual gaming acquaintance.

Communication will always be a problem (trust me I know all to well), but getting to know them outside the gaming room in any manner should help you familiarize yourself with them and allow you to feel more comfortable when playing or joking around. If they are as geeky as we are, I'm sure they MUST do other commons things that we undertake as well (board gaming, video games, anime, bunny hunts :D )

I'd be the first to admit that I don't know them as much as I wish and that blame lays squarely on me, as I'm sure everyone else may feel the same way. But even if you are having trouble following along with a conversation or joking seems difficult, try not to give in. In fact, act stupid (most of us will probably need to act though :? ) and ask questions on the meaning of words or what they just said. It'll start a context for you to work with and hopefully lead to long and gay relationship :mrgreen:

On a side thought, what if we tried getting like once in a while monthly event with them on games other than 40k or WFB where they can show us how to play? I'm sure there will be the need of proxy models and shared rulebooks but I'm sure we can find something that works. The key is finding things that THEY ALSO want to give a go at.
"The question of the timing of the commencement of hostilities is one upon which you must meditate most deeply. Once your decision is arrived at, it must be pursued with the utmost energy."

The 37th Meditation on the Way of the Warrior

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Warmachine, dude. It's the way forward. Last time I went to Nagoya I played 1 Japanese guy (Morishita-san), and two of us Johnny foreigners (Jus and ToD). This was mostly just cos I was keen to get in as many games as possible and ToD happened to be available at the right time, and had brought Everblight, a faction I had never played against before. If he hadnt been there, Idve likely asked one of the other J-players for a game.

If you want to play against Japanese players, Warmahordes is where it's at. They all play it, and can be relied upon to have an army with them. All you have to do is ask em for a game, and the answer is likely to be "hai". After that, lunch should follow naturally.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:06 am

It has recently occurred to me that maybe it isn't just a language thing, it is where people are from in Japan.

I have gamed with Japanese in Nagoya and Tsu. Both of which are quite different from each other. No offense to the Nagoya Japanese, but I seem to get along with the Japanese gamers in Tsu more and enjoy the games more too. They are just easier to talk to.

I know this is a short post for such a complicated topic, but my 7 month old is calling so I have to make it quick. :mrgreen:

Return to “Translation Requests - 翻訳リクエスト”