Bridging the Gap - mixed language gaming.

A forum for people who need game information translating. If you have the skills and the time, please help your fellow gamers here. DO NOT POST COPYRIGHT MATERIAL. ゲーム情報の翻訳が必要な人のためのフォーラムです。もし能力と時間があれば、仲間のゲーマーのために手を貸してください。著作権のある物は投稿はしないように。
ennui
Veteran

Bridging the Gap - mixed language gaming.

Post by ennui » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:18 pm

I wasn't sure where to say it, but I guess this seems as good a place as any:
If you want to have clear communication with the Japanese who are diligently reading these English posts, then do them a favor and use correct and clear English. I imagine it's tough for these guys that not only have to be able to parse dense rulebooks, but then come onto this forum and have to parse poorly written run-on sentences.

I don't want to be a grammar nazi or anything, but I imagine that the reason why a lot of the Japanese guys aren't on here is that... well, it's full of gaijin that are using difficult and nonsensical English.

And do they do LAN parties for 40k..? Still confused about this thread...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: 40K in Japanese Lan 101

Post by Primarch » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:24 pm

I think a big part of the whole not playing each other is down to people not organising games with each other. When I have asked to play, people usually say Hai. Usually I have 40k, Malifaux or WFB with me and they have Monsterpocalypse and Warmachine, so there is very little overlap.
Now I have WM on the way so hopefully I can get in a few games of that with the Japanese guys.

That said... My Japanese is probably the worst in our little circle, but I am studying. Knowing the basics for the game in Japanese would be very very useful to me as none of my textbooks mention ballistic skill or morale tests (seriously, who wrote those books?), so I think this thread could be useful.

Anything that helps bridge the Nihonjin-Gaikokujin divide is always welcome on this site. I for one am sick of hearing "Isn't it just for foreigners?" in response to every game/tournament/website I mention.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:56 pm

I agree with ennui - lots of posts on this forum are difficult to understand for non-native speakers. I know my posts are usually very long and I often use rather unusual vocabulary. I'm not going to stop doing this completely because that's how I usually talk, but I will try and only use complex English when I'm talking directly to other native speakers. I think Badruck's idea to help English and Japanese gamers understand each other is a really good one - It will certainly help me learn more Japanese :D

Simple grammar, correct punctuation and correct spelling are all very important for easy understanding of any language.

Primarch makes a good point, too - Japanese players and foreign players usually play different games. But, I am also going to start Warmachine, so I hope to play against Japanese guys more in the future.

Finally, I think that we really, really need to change the site from English to Japanese. Almost all the foreigners here are comfortable with a Japanese environment. If all the buttons on the site were in Japanese, I dont think it would be a big problem for us. But, many Japanese gamers will look at the site and think, "oh, it's all English. Too difficult." Let's make it as easy as we can for the locals to join in. If we all take one small section of the site and use Google to translate it, then ask our wives/co-workers/friends to check that the google translation is not nonsense, then soon the whole site will be translated. A so-so translation is better than no translation. I've already done the top banner, but there are many more pages to do.

What do you think?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:03 pm

here's an idea:

The next game event that you go to, find a Japanese gamer and organise to play a game against him. Maybe the same day, maybe next month. BUT use only Japanese for that game. If there are words you dont know, ask him, and write them down for next time. Of course, the game will be slower than usual, but I hope this will send a message that the foreign gamers in Mie/Aichi/Gifu want the Japanese gamers to be part of the group.

We could maybe even organise a special event? All games in Japanese, all games mixed opponents. First prize - japanese-English dictionary :P It could be fun :)

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:21 pm

I think you guys are on the right track.

I think translating the site more fully into Japanese is a good idea. Because really, we're asking them to stop (or at least come here in addition to) using Mixi--all in Japanese--to a site that's all in English. I don't know about you guys, but even though my Japanese has gotten better these past 4 years and I can use Mixi just fine, I often don't. It's a pain in the ass. Navigation is a bitch (LEARN HOW TO MAKE WEBSITES, JAPAN) and people use slang and stuff all the time. Nowadays the only Mixi I use is to communicate with my JRPG group. Why would they waste their time coming over here to use this site that's a pain in the ass, compared to whatever community they've already got going on Mixi/whatever?

Case in point, we've already had a person trying to figure out how to edit their profile and whatnot, right? I think that doing what we can to make using the site in Japanese easier would be a good idea.

But yeah, I've NEVER had an experience, in all the rpg cons, gaming days, or trpg sessions I've participated in, where the Japanese weren't excited to be playing with a foreigner. Even if verbal communication isn't perfect, they'd certainly appreciate the effort!

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:51 am

me_in_japan wrote:The next game event that you go to, find a Japanese gamer and organise to play a game against him. Maybe the same day, maybe next month. BUT use only Japanese for that game. If there are words you dont know, ask him, and write them down for next time. Of course, the game will be slower than usual, but I hope this will send a message that the foreign gamers in Mie/Aichi/Gifu want the Japanese gamers to be part of the group.
My name is Dave, and I approve of this idea. :thumbs up!:
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:14 am

The Other Dave wrote:
me_in_japan wrote:The next game event that you go to, find a Japanese gamer and organise to play a game against him. Maybe the same day, maybe next month. BUT use only Japanese for that game. If there are words you dont know, ask him, and write them down for next time. Of course, the game will be slower than usual, but I hope this will send a message that the foreign gamers in Mie/Aichi/Gifu want the Japanese gamers to be part of the group.
My name is Dave, and I approve of this idea. :thumbs up!:
Trust Dave to agree with Dave.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:19 am

Primarch wrote:Trust Dave to agree with Dave.
I feel the need to share this link in the interest of Dave solidarity.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Bridging the Gap - mixed language gaming.

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:08 pm

We Daves have to stick together.

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Re: Bridging the Gap - mixed language gaming.

Post by Dungeon Lord » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Some of the funnest games I have played have been with Satoru. That guys is great for a non competitive interesting scenario game.

Other than that I have stopped playing with most Japanese mostly because even though my Japanese is pretty  decent. "Shooting the s#!t" and friendly taunting of your opponent isn't taken well (hence I never do it with a Japanese player) is not as fun. So it not just the gaming part it is the in between commentary of the hobby that I miss. Not that they don't shoot the s$@t at all. It is just a topic that most japanese and foreigners can't catch most of.

In saying that, I guess I should really have another go at lining up some games with more Japanese players. Last time I went up to Joshin kids land though, it was mostly non-Japanese and the Japanese that were there were playing War Machine or another game that I don't have minis for.

I hope I don't sound too much like a sour puss (if that is how you write it). Just thought I would express why I don't game with Japanese gamers much. I do try to get my Japanese neighbors and wife's family to play (who are not gamers) to play a few games. Which they do. It is just not as much fun...

Return to “Translation Requests - 翻訳リクエスト”