The Battle of Fulford - A Collaborative Project

A Sub-forum for discussion, painting, modelling and gaming related to the Battle of Fulford Collaborative Project
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: The Battle of Fulford - A Collaborative Project

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:47 am

On to the models then:
For the Vikings
Hirdmen, Berserkers and Hersir are Heavy Infantry, Bondi are Medium Infantry, Thralls are Light Infantry.
Plastic Viking Heavy Infantry
Plastic Medium/Light Infantry
Metal Viking Packs
Metal Norse-Gael Starter Box
Metal Norse-Gael Packs
Metal Jomsviking Starter Box
Metal Jomsviking Packs
Metal Vikings from Crusader Miniatures - Note that some of the packs will need you to provide your own spears.
Metal Vikings from Artizan miniatures

Saxons
Thegns are Heavy Infantry, Ceorls are Medium Infantry and Geburs are Light Infantry.
Plastic Saxon Heavy Infantry
Plastic Medium/Light Infantry - These are the same for both Vikings and Saxons
Metal Anglo-dane Packs
Metal Anglo-saxon Packs
Metal Saxons from Crusader miniatures - Note that some of the packs require you to provide your own spears. This is the only range to offer Saxon Cavalry.

Rules etc
Saga Rulebooks - Anglo-danes and Vikings are in the core book. Jomsvikings and Anglo-saxons are in the Northern Fury Book. Norse-Gaels are in the Raven's Shadow book.
Saga Dice - Special Dice are required for Saga.
Hail Caesar Rules
Hail Caesar Army List Book - It really is just a book full of army lists. Only for the true completists.

There are other models available from other makers, but all of the ones listed above are available with a discount on RRP and free shipping. As I said before, hold off on buying stuff for now as I hope I can get a better deal if we order together. That said, Warlord do pdfs of their rules and currently have a special offer on their Hail Caesar rulebook if you want to get some Romans...
Special Offer at Warlord (some Warlord Celts can be used for Dark Age infantry).
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:00 am

If I paint vikings can I use some shield maidens? http://www.brother-vinni.com/shop.htm#! ... ort=normal

And looking for an excuse to buy this: https://darkops.myshopify.com/products/ ... g-longboat
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:06 am

YellowStreak wrote:If I paint vikings can I use some shield maidens? http://www.brother-vinni.com/shop.htm#! ... ort=normal
Sure, but you'll need to order them yourself. BV doesn't deal with the bulk sellers.
YellowStreak wrote: And looking for an excuse to buy this: https://darkops.myshopify.com/products/ ... g-longboat
Want help reaching that free shipping target? :D I could use some of those myself.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:33 am

Currently the UK pound is valued quite well compared to the Yen and I expect it to drop in the next few days when Brexit begins. If you estimate that 1 GBP is about 150 Yen, then a box of plastic minis should come to 3300 yen for 40 minis. :D I would honestly expect it to work out a bit cheaper with discounts and better exchange rates.

So, with a rough idea of the prices and a lot of minis to choose from, what should you buy?

The bare minimum for Saga is either the Saxon or Viking Box plus a set of dice. You will need a copy of the rulebook as well. I'm not sure if there is a digital copy of the rules available, but if you look around, you may find one. (You WILL need a hard copy of part of the rulebook to play).
I recommend that each person gets a set of either Vikings or Saxons AND a box of Dark Age Warriors, the medium infantry linked above. I'll be honest and say upfront that the Dark Age Warriors box is not as good value as the Viking/Saxon boxes. The sprues have a lot less options and the poses are more limited. However, the Viking/Saxon boxes come with a lot of spare parts so that you can customise your Dark Age set with extra weapon options and more appropriate helmets. Both the forces have a ratio of 1:1 between Heavy Infantry (The Viking/Saxon boxes) and Medium/Light Infantry (the Dark Age Warriors box). The Vikings are weighted a little more in favour of Heavys and the Saxons in favour of Medium/Lights. I would recommend the Crusader Archers over the Gripping Beast archers, I have a pack of the GB minis and they aren't great.
The Jomsviking and Norse-Gael forces are optional and should only be a small component of the Viking forces. Those models are all metal and look a little more challenging to paint than the regular Vikings. Likewise the Saxons are very limited in terms of cavalry units. As Tostig could be a part of the Vikings, extra Saxons are preferable to extra Vikings (yes, I know they aren't as cool), but as I already have some Saxons anyway, I might expand that force if Vikings are more popular.
I have NO idea how any of the factions really play in Saga, there are write ups online if you want to search for them.

I will work out bases and movement trays once I know who wants what.

Please choose what you are willing to buy, assemble and paint from the following list and post below. Any extra packs of metal minis from GB, Crusader or Artizan, plus rulebooks and Dice should be included in your post. Please note that these are the minimum requirements to reach the project target of 240 Vikings and 200 Saxons. You can always get more if you want and metal packs will count towards the totals as well. I already have a box each of Vikings, Saxons and Dark Age Warriors if anyone is wondering.

Minimum targets
2 Boxes of Vikings
3 Boxes of Dark Age Warriors for the Viking Faction
2 Boxes of Saxons
2 Boxes of Dark Age Warriors for the Saxon Faction

Optional - 1 Starter Box of Norse-Gael (We only need 1 unit, but if other players want the models, feel free)
Optional - 1 Starter Box of Jomsviking (We only need 1 unit, but if other players want the models, feel free)
Optional - 2 Packs of Saxon Cavalry (We only need 1 unit, but if other players want the models, feel free)

-What happens if people order more than the targets above?
After the Battle of Fulford, Harold Godwinson led the English army up North and confronted Hardrada at Stamford Bridge. This was a much bigger battle (9000 Vikings Vs. 15000 Saxons). If we clear the Fulford targets maybe we could do Stamford Bridge in the future.

-What happens if I don't want to collect Saxons OR Vikings
Well, you are free to pick up another set for Saga such as Irish or Welsh. Normans would be a good third choice (Battle of Hastings perhaps), if you didn't want to be super anti-social. Regardless, it would be something you'd need to research and arrange yourself.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:44 am

There is a brief description of the Saga Factions about 1/4 of the way down this page.
http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php? ... g-started/

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:43 am

Well, I got a response back from the company I emailed (Caliver Books)
Thanks for the email
Discounts depends on the manufacturer and I'm afraid that with GB I can only do the just over 10% off on the website and post free
Cheers
Dave
In the interests of transparency, Caliver do the GB minis at a fraction over 10% discount and Crusader/Artizan at about 7%.
The cheaper company is Wayland which offers 20% off on Gripping Beast and Crusader (but doesn't stock the Artizan Vikings, which isn't a major loss overall). Wayland's current prices on their site are starting from an older RRP, so for anyone looking their way, the plastic box sets are now 22GBP not 20GBP. I'm not a fan of the company having had some issues with them in the past (several years ago now), and if I were just ordering for myself I'd stick with Caliver. As I feel that I should offer everyone the best price possible, I guess Wayland is the best choice in this situation.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:43 pm

I have interest in this project, but I have reasons to be fence sitter at this time. Firstly has to do with my limited time to paint and hobby. I haven't finished a model as of 2017. The next concern is space, which is already limited. The next point is related to the former which is the need for having dark age models. If I were playing Saga, I could build up to a skirmish level game, but for 40 models or more, that will take up space and the models will gather dust like my dwarves. Lastly, as you surmised correctly I voted for a Sengoku project along with Komura. Basically, I'm keen on collecting some Japanese Bushi over Viking hyrdmen.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for this historical project. I even like the idea of recreating some of the battles of 1066. It occurs to me that I have imagined doing something like this in the past. However at this time several factors collude to keep me from jumping in with both feet. Sorry, but I'll have to wait to see if I can make any commitment.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Krobrawlg
Rookie

Post by Krobrawlg » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:58 pm

Put me down for a box of Saxons, the dark age warriors, and some Saga Saxon dice. Do you recommend everyone interested in Saga getting the book for themselves?

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:22 pm

For now, sign me up for a box of Vikings and a box of Dark Age warriors, and enough bases and movement trays to set me up - I'll worry about dice and books and being sure I have a viable Saga force later.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:43 pm

I'd also like to opt for a box of Vikings and a box of Dark Age warriors, and enough bases and movement trays.

Return to “The Battle of Fulford”