The Battle of Fulford - A Collaborative Project

A Sub-forum for discussion, painting, modelling and gaming related to the Battle of Fulford Collaborative Project
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: The Battle of Fulford - A Collaborative Project

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:00 pm

@Job - No worries. I'll try to have enough models for you to use, so there will be a space for you at the table if you want to come along and play. Real life doesn't always allow for the maximum amount of hobby time. If the situation changes, you'll be able to jump in later easily enough.

@All - Ok, so we have 3 people in so far, and I'm going to pick up at least an extra box of Dark Age Warriors, taking the minimum remaining targets down to:

Minimum project targets
0 Boxes of Vikings
0 Boxes of Dark Age Warriors for the Viking Faction
1 Box of Saxons
1 Box of Dark Age Warriors for the Saxon Faction

Optional - 1 Starter Box of Norse-Gael (We only need 1 unit, but if other players want the models, feel free)
Optional - 1 Starter Box of Jomsviking (We only need 1 unit, but if other players want the models, feel free)
Optional - 2 Packs of Saxon Cavalry (We only need 1 unit, but if other players want the models, feel free)

As I said before, the above figures are just so we can hit a good minimum size for the game. If we go over those figures, it's no problem.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:00 am

Primarch wrote:Well, I got a response back from the company I emailed (Caliver Books)
Thanks for the email
Discounts depends on the manufacturer and I'm afraid that with GB I can only do the just over 10% off on the website and post free
Cheers
Dave
In the interests of transparency, Caliver do the GB minis at a fraction over 10% discount and Crusader/Artizan at about 7%.
The cheaper company is Wayland which offers 20% off on Gripping Beast and Crusader (but doesn't stock the Artizan Vikings, which isn't a major loss overall). Wayland's current prices on their site are starting from an older RRP, so for anyone looking their way, the plastic box sets are now 22GBP not 20GBP. I'm not a fan of the company having had some issues with them in the past (several years ago now), and if I were just ordering for myself I'd stick with Caliver. As I feel that I should offer everyone the best price possible, I guess Wayland is the best choice in this situation.
Hmmm.
I just took a look over Wayland's shop and tried adding a few things to the shopping cart. Shipping adds a ridiculous amount to the final cost, around 30%. Caliver's 10% and free shipping looks like a much better deal under the circumstances.
Who knew ordering models would be such a challenge?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:04 am

I'll try and take a look tonight, but I'm more interested in vikings than saxons...because vikings....

Now who sells lots of little 28mm scale horns to add to their helmets? :lol:
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:08 am

YellowStreak wrote:I'll try and take a look tonight, but I'm more interested in vikings than saxons...because vikings....

Now who sells lots of little 28mm scale horns to add to their helmets? :lol:
I don't know about the horns, but if you want to collect Vikings rather than Saxons, go ahead.

Krobrawlg
Rookie

Post by Krobrawlg » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:57 am

I would like to buy the Saga core rulebook as well. Even if I can't make a viable force out of the boxes, I'm interested enough to try and build one later on.

komura
Veteran

Post by komura » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:04 am

I'll stand for Harold Second side.
For miniatures, I'll buy Saxon model set and light infantry model set from Ring tail.
And, could you let me know which rule book should bear at gaming?
Is that SAGA or Hail ceased?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:16 am

Krobrawlg wrote:I would like to buy the Saga core rulebook as well. Even if I can't make a viable force out of the boxes, I'm interested enough to try and build one later on.
You should have enough models in those two boxes to build nearly every combination of force you could want for Saga.

Saga games are usually 4 or 6 point games.
For 1 point you can get 4 Hearthguard (Elite troops) OR 8 Warriors (Standard troops) OR 12 Levies (Low class troops). The Saxon Box contains 44 models which gives you your Warlord to lead your army, 2 Units of Hearthguard and 4 Units of Warriors. The Dark Age Box contains 40 models, enough for 3 Units of Levies.
komura wrote:I'll stand for Harold Second side.
For miniatures, I'll buy Saxon model set and light infantry model set from Ring tail.
And, could you let me know which rule book should bear at gaming?
Is that SAGA or Hail Caeser?
For the Battle of Fulford we will be using Hail Caesar. Saga is an option for smaller games because the same models can be used for both games.
So if 2 people want to play, Saga is a good choice.
If a group of people want to play, Hail Caesar is better.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:49 pm

For those of you who want to pick up some terrain, there is a fair selection available.

Sarissa Precision - Good value for money and cheap shipping. Assembly is usually straightforward but you need to paint and decorate the buildings yourself.
4Ground - Expensive compared to other makers (They do knock the tax off the final price if memory serves), but they come prepainted so are easy to use once you have them assembled. The kits are more complex than other makers, but if you follow the instructions don't take too long to assemble.
Warbases - Cheap frames for buildings. I think shipping might add to the cost if you buy a lot. These buildings will need the most work to be playable. They also do a range of Roman buildings that are also suited for the period.

Krobrawlg
Rookie

Post by Krobrawlg » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:45 am

If the Warlord special offer is still going on, I would also like to by the book with a box of the Macedonian Phalangites.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:11 am

Does anyone else want Hail Caesar plus the free set of models. I think the offer ends today, so speak up if you want a copy.

Edit - The order for the Hail Caesar book has been placed.

Return to “The Battle of Fulford”