The Battle of Fulford - A Collaborative Project

A Sub-forum for discussion, painting, modelling and gaming related to the Battle of Fulford Collaborative Project
Primarch
Evil Overlord

The Battle of Fulford - A Collaborative Project

Post by Primarch » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:00 am

Welcome to the Collaborative Historical Project. Based on some lengthy discussion and a public vote, the subject chosen for the project is the Battle of Fulford.

First off, a recap of the initial pitch for the project.:
Primarch wrote:The Battle of Fulford
Part of the Viking Invasion of England
Wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fulford

Armies:
Vikings under Harald Hardrada
Vs.
Saxons under the Earls of Northumbria and Mercia

In Mid-September 1066 a large Viking army landed on the North East Coast of England and proceeded to advance on the city of York. The Anglo-saxon army left the city and engaged them at Fulford. While the Vikings had the advantage of numbers, they were not able to deploy their full strength during the battle, feeding troops into the combat as they arrived, so the forces were fairly evenly matched. Historians put the numbers at around 5000 Saxons and 6000 Vikings. The battlefield was open with a river on one side, a marsh on the other and some high ground in the Viking deployment area. The asymmetrical nature of the battle (Saxons begin with a greater force while the Vikings got a steady stream of reinforcements during the fight) should make it interesting.

Using a figure ratio of 1:25, we would need about 200 Saxons and 240 Vikings. In terms of units that's 10 Vs. 12 using 20 model units. Gripping Beast have readily available plastics for both of these armies, with 40+ minis for roughly 20GBP. The boxes also come with extra command figures, so you could get 2 units and a brigade commander for about 3000 yen at current exchange rates if you shop around. I'd recommend getting one box of Saxons/Vikings and one box of the generic Dark Age Warriors for a total of 1 unit of heavy infantry, 2 units of medium infantry and 1 unit of light infantry plus your brigade commander. The Dark Age Warriors set comes with options for skirmishers armed with javelins or slings. If you want archers, they are currently only available in metal. GB do a large range of Dark Age figures in metal as do Foundry and Crusader I believe, so you can add some variety to your force if you want to. I have seen some Warlord Celts being given a simple head and weapon swap and mixed in with Viking units for additional poses. 4ground do a range of Saxon style buildings (I already have a couple) which should help to populate the table.
Ring-tail stock GB minis and 4ground if you don't want to order from the UK.

Painting wise, Dark Age figures are fairly simple with none of the elaborate straps and harnesses of Napoleonics or tiny lacework of Samurai. Chainmail and plain tunics are the order of the day. Shields can be done in a variety of styles, so you can make them as simple or as complex as you like, or just use transfers if you want to spend a little extra cash.

Possible follow-ups would include the Battle of Stamford Bridge and the Battle of Hastings. Neither the Vikings nor the Saxons were particularly unified, so Blue-on-Blue style battles are fine as well. With sabot style basing, you could also use the force for Saga if you were so inclined.

To sum up, Fulford is a nice, compact battle to recreate. It shouldn't break the bank nor take years to achieve. There is potential for expanding the armies in the future and the forces involved are versatile enough to allow for other scenarios. Don't be a bunch of Raven Starvers. Grab your axe and go pillaging!
It seems like this project can actually be pretty versatile if we try. If people are amenable to using single-base minis on movement trays (See below), we can get games of Saga and Hail Caesar out of this project. Most of the minis could be used for other skirmish games such as Frostgrave and Dragon Rampant as well. I have not actually played Saga, but it seems to be a fairly popular system with several expansions and a broad selection of minis.

For those of you unfamiliar with Hail Caesar, the exact number of models per unit is somewhat flexible, what matters most is the width of the unit on the table-top. The usual trend is to base multiple minis together to make movement easier. It is important that units all have the same width (or close to it), so ideally everyone should conform to the same manner of basing.
Meanwhile Saga uses individually based figures as it represents a smaller scale of battles. It's possible to do both by being somewhat creative with our basing.
For example
This is what 20 minis look like when based together:
And here are 16 minis put on movement trays:
A third option would be to base all the minis on 20mm squares and rank them up into units in a similar fashion to Warhammer Fantasy.

To my mind, the multi-base looks more densely packed, making for a better aesthetic appearance. The movement trays are much more convenient for storing minis and more flexible than the multi-base option. 20mm squares are ok, providing a dense formation and flexibility, but ranking up minis is a pain in the backside IMHO.
So, if people want the option for Saga (and I can't see why you wouldn't really), I think the round bases and movement trays would be the best choice overall. 4Ground do reasonably priced movement trays that come with bases and which fit the plastic Renedra bases that come with some (but not all) of the Saga minis. The Saga plastic ranges come with a mixed pack of bases sizes, but not enough of any one type to equip every model the same way.

Any thoughts or opinions on this? I'm going to start going over army lists, model options and shopping around for the best prices, so I'd like to know what I am looking for and how many bases and minis will be needed.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

YellowStreak
Legend

Re: The Battle of Fulford - A Collaborative Project

Post by YellowStreak » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:54 am

I'd prefer the movement trays with round bases for flexibility.
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:48 am

YellowStreak wrote:I'd prefer the movement trays with round bases for flexibility.
This would be my vote as well.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Krobrawlg
Rookie

Post by Krobrawlg » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:35 pm

Round bases with movement trays sounds good to me too.

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Krobrawlg wrote:Round bases with movement trays sounds good to me too.
And me, too.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:48 pm

Ok, well without having another vote, let's assume that round bases and movement trays are the way forward.
As I said in the first post, a figure to real life ratio of about 1:25 gives some workable numbers for army building 200 Saxons and 240 Vikings.

Saga works on units made up of mutiples of 4 minis. In Saga units are either Hearthguard, 4 man elite units, Warriors, 8 man standard units or Levies, 12 man unskilled units.

Hail Caesar units are of a fixed size for the most part. As long as we are all using the same figure trays, this means that a standard sized unit will be 16 models and some small sized units will be 8 models, which fits quite nicely with the Saga unit sizes.

So, with 200 Saxons and 240 Vikings in 16 man units, that gives 12.5 units and 15 units respectively. (0.5 units in HC terms is a small unit of skirmishers/light infantry).

The army lists for Saxons and Vikings in Hail Caesar are fairly similar in terms of available troop types, Heavy, Medium and Light Infantry with the option of mixing the Heavy and Medium units together to form hybrid units that begin the game as Heavy Infantry but drop down to Medium after taking enough damage. (The tougher guys lead from the front, but once they are down the squishier fellows at the back need to get stuck in). All of these are doable with the plastic box sets available, though archers require metal figures for now. (Gripping Beast has some plastic archers coming out soon). There are also metal options available from Crusader, Artizan and Foundry, as well as GB's own ranges.

As I imagine people will want some variety in Saga Warbands beyond having either Vikings or Saxons, I have been looking at what is available and any historical justification for it at Fulford or elsewhere.
For the Saxons, the choices are somewhat limited. Either Anglo-saxons (Southern and Western England) or Anglo-danes (Northern and Eastern England). Given York's location the forces at Fulford would have been predominantly Anglo-danes. Both Danes and Saxons use the same model ranges, though the Danes have access to double handed Dane Axes while Saxons have a limited amount of cavalry.
For the Vikings, there are choices of Vikings (Duh), Norse-Gael (Vikings who settled in Scotland) and Jomsviking (A band of mercenary brigands who would fight for the highest bidder). As Tostig Godwinson (The exiled brother of the English king) fought alongside the Vikings, there is also the possibility of adding Anglo-saxons to the Viking forces, though they wouldn't be any different from the other Saxons in Saga. As Hardrada sailed to Britain he stopped off in Scotland first, so Norse-Gaels may have joined his forces there. The Jomsviking are quasi-historical, no definite proof of there existence has been found, but the models look cool and the Hail Caesar army list has an option to take a solitary unit of Viking Mercenaries, so they offer some extra variety.

More to follow...
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

komura
Veteran

Post by komura » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:57 pm

I'll join this collaboration even I voted Sengoku. Could you tell me what stuff should I prepare?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:25 pm

komura wrote:I'll join this collaboration even I voted Sengoku. Could you tell me what stuff should I prepare?
Great!

I'm working on it. :D

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:08 am

I would happily play either Saxophones or Minnesotans.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:21 am

I have just fired off an email to the company I usually order from in the UK. They aren't the cheapest supplier, but they are reliable and I have had issues (as have others I believe) with the company which is the cheapest. (In every sense of the word).
Anyway, I asked if they would be willing to offer a little extra discount if we were to place one big order through them, rather than everyone just getting stuff from all over. I don't mind arranging it, paying for it up front and then splitting it up and collecting money when I hand it over. So don't worry if you don't have a credit card or you don't want to order online from overseas, I'll take care of it. (Though I still need to get approval from my better half before a massive box full of minis turns up on my doorstep. :D :D... :? )

So if everyone can THINK about what they might want, but NOT buy anything just yet, that would be awesome.

Return to “The Battle of Fulford”