A collaborative historical side-project: El Alamein in 6mm

A Sub-forum for discussion, painting, modelling and gaming related to the Battle of El Alamein Collaborative Project
Simon W
Rookie

Re: A collaborative historical side-project: El Alamein in 6

Post by Simon W » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:50 am

Just got my loot from GHQ in the post. Very nice...

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:25 am

Sweet! What did you end up getting?

@All: One base = One Platoon might be interesting. For infantry that would make 3 bases equals a company and maybe a half size base for the HQ platoon. Tanks would be, perhaps, 2 tanks for the platoon and say 1 more for the HQ platoon.
I could field the entire Maori battalion!!!

Still, let's see what BC3 has to say. I can hardly wait!

@TOD: I feel my anti 6mm powers failing further every day. You are evil! :twisted:
Morituri nolumus mori!

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:49 am

Yeah, I think I'll want to see what BC3 suggests vis a vis basing. Personally I'm kind of partial to squads and individual tanks per base at 6mm because that gives something like true-scale and I'm a sucker for one-model one-man at a realistic ground scale.

(TBQH, I sort of think by-the-platoon bases would be happier at 3mm than 6. :twisted:)

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a Combat Command box from GHQ in the relatively-near future, though (with my summer bonus at the latest), and get myself started.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Simon W
Rookie

Post by Simon W » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:32 pm

Just got my loot in the post from GHQ. Very nice indeed...

Simon W
Rookie

Post by Simon W » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:49 pm

Dammit. Just realized I posted twice. Can't get the hang of this board. I got 5 Panzer IIIJ with the long barrelled 50mm, 5 Panzer IIIF/G with the short barrelled 50mm, 5 Panzer IVF1 with the short 75 and 5 88s in the already deployed position. I'm just straightening the barrels and petting them now.

I must admit, my own preference is for 1:1 at this scale, but it all depends on finding a workable set of rules for 1:1 I guess. When I was a teenager I played TTG's Challenger rules and they were awful - it took all evening just to get one shot off. Still got them though. Along with an ancient set of WRG 1925 - 1950 rules with the old card covers. I should start a museum some day...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:12 pm

It might feel like an odd way to go about it, but most games designed for 15mm end up giving a realistic ground scale when played at 6mm. Too Fat Lardies' I Ain't Been Shot, Mum (which they advertise as an alternative to Flames of War, and is also a company-level game - and has the kind of "friction" rules that make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside) is designed with a ground scale of 1 foot = 80 yards, which at 1:240 is pretty dang close to figure scale at 6mm.

I do want to check out BC3, though. I like BC2, although I've only got one game in and it was very much a learning experience. :D

@Simon: Did you order straight from GHQ? What was shipping like?
-----

Simon W
Rookie

Post by Simon W » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:56 am

I ordered straight from GHQ. Really good service. Shipping was 13 dollars US out of a total order charge of 60 dollars. I guess that's what you get for living at the end of the earth...

Is 'I ain't been shot yet, mum' able to handle battalion-sized games? That's what we should be aiming for in this scale, I reckon. Especially if we are able to rustle up multiple players for each side. What are the actual GHQ rules like? I've never actually played them.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:26 am

That's good to hear about GHQ, and is actually pretty reasonable shipping from the States, all told.

IABSM has the basic unit of command as a platoon, and a typical one-on-one game would be a company or two per side - it ought to scale up to handle a battalion-ish game at 6mm, if we had multiple players and a nice wide table.

I guess the nice thing about a historical project is that there's no reason we couldn't just try out Every Rules System until we find one we like! :D
-----

Simon W
Rookie

Post by Simon W » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Microsquad - the GHQ 1:1 game - is available as a free download from wargamesvault.com. There is also a free PDF called Blitzkrieg Commander Lite available.

Worth a look...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Simon W wrote:Microsquad - the GHQ 1:1 game - is available as a free download from wargamesvault.com. There is also a free PDF called Blitzkrieg Commander Lite available.

Worth a look...
Rules Magpie Dave likes this development! :D I'll give them a look - reviews of Microsquad seem pretty happy with it.
-----

Return to “Battle of El Alamein”