Gauntlet 2.0

A monthly painting challenge open to everyone.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Gauntlet 2.0

Post by Primarch » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:44 am

My entry for round 2 is ready.

Ride eternal, shiny and chrome

This cryptek is riding atop a spider/roomba hybrid, covering the first part of the theme.
Necrons live a very, very long time. Are they eternal? I'm not sure, but they seem to be pretty close to it, covering the second.
Being composed of actual metal should cover the third part of being shiny.
Are they chrome? I'm not sure, but definitely more chrome-ish than any of the meaty bags of flesh I could have chosen.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:57 am

@Primarch, Can't argue with your logic about it fitting the theme. The model choice was a little unexpected but that's the whole point of leaving the theme open ended.

I've actually got my submission ready early this time with almost two weeks to spare. I went for a relatively predictable Shokkjump Dragsta and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It is missing out on the "eternal" bit of the theme though and it's arguably not as "shiny and chrome" as it could be.

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:11 am

Nice work guys. Really liking the effects on the cryptek's staff and the shokkjump dragster is a great choice - my second favourite Ork buggy. The base looks excellent as well!

I'm hoping to have mine finished by the end of the week.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:40 am

Great work both of you! I love both those models - they deserve some table time surely :lol:

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:05 pm

Ride eternal? Well the life of a Mortifier "pilot" is very far from eternal but is intended to *feel* that way to them. Death should not curtail their subjective experience of penance prematurely.

Shiny and chrome? I expect the order serfs deliver a clean and polished Mortifier to the ritual in which the defrocked Sister is installed, and probably spruce it up again once the remains of the unfortunate apostate are hosed out post battle.

(These are somewhat fiddly to paint and well beyond my ability or more importantly patience, but thankfully the Gauntlet at least prompted me to get them done)

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:14 am

I think Mortifiers fit the theme well enough. It's good to hear that the contest got you to paint something you usually wouldn't too since that's one of the goals of the contest.

Also reminder to everyone else, there's roughly one week left so try and submit something in by feb-21, I'll post the poll on Monday so submissions will be open till the end of the day.

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:11 pm

I really love those Mortifier models - maybe gets the award for most grimdark model in the game? Really love the pinkish purple colour on the anchorite as well. It's a really nice colour scheme.

I got my Megatrakk Scrapjet finished up this weekend. It's neither shiny nor chrome and it'll be lucky to last 20 minutes let alone eternity - still, it's pretty damn Mad Max. Sorry for the poor quality photos. I only have a terrible phone camera at the moment.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:49 pm

I love both the Ork vehicles, they look fantastic, but something tells me Matt's would go faster 🤔

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:44 am

Matt's would indeed go faster but when you've got a tiny warp engine strapped to the back of your ride you tend to prioritize luck over speed.

@Matt, I really like that base and all that grungy weathering you've done around the nose. Can't wait to see the rest of your Ork army once its ready for the tabletop.

jus

Post by jus » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:06 am

yah wow, those ork vehicles are really cool. I think Matt and Karantu did a fantastic job with them. Kind of makes me want to pick up a boom dakka snazz wagon. What a great name for an ork vechicle.

I haven&t actually seen the penitent engine variant up close yet thanks for puuting it up. I think jye and prim did a good job of cleverly fitting with the theme. I can see "the eternal" the chrome in both selections.

I don't think I'll be able to get my submission ready though unfortunately. I had a model 3d printed for this one but I can't really prime in this weather.

Return to “The Gauntlet”