Gauntlet 2.0

A monthly painting challenge open to everyone.
Mattb
Veteran

Re: Gauntlet 2.0

Post by Mattb » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:13 pm

This month's theme was pretty difficult for me, since despite having a whole army of guys with laser guns, I actually don't have many left to paint.
So instead I thought an Ork painboy was as close as I could get to Dr. Evil - I can very easily imagine a painboy laughing maniacally as he surgically grafts a frikken' laser beam onto a squigosaur's head.

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:01 am

The Dr. Evil angle is pretty genius. Too bad no one painted Yarrick with his laser eye though.

I went for something a little bit more straightforward this time. Unfortunately it's something I've had on my backlog for more than 3 years thus the missing head... I'm pretty sure its in my house somewhere, I just need to find it.
For now I'm just going to insist that superior Tau technology has invented a model with a head that doubles as a wound counter.
P.S. Don't worry I know that railguns aren't lasers but its close enough.

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:17 pm

Here's the voting link for round 8, voting should be open till the 5th of September.

And for next month's theme:

Absolute unit

The usual rules apply and the deadline for round 9 is September 26th so go ahead and throw in one submission of anything you paint in that timespan that you think fits the theme. Here's an urban dictionary link for anyone who's a bit lost.

テーマを日本語にすると、一番近いのは「デッカ!」だと思うので、とりあえず、自分がデッカイと思うものにすればなんでいいです。締め切りは9/26なので、今日から締め切りの間に塗った物を1エントリーをこちらに投稿してください。
※モデルのサイズ、メーカー、数などの制限はありません。

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:03 pm

voted.

the new category for september is intriguing. Very much not my usual cup o tea, but I'll maybe see what I've got around that might fit...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:29 am

Karantu wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:17 pm
Absolute unit
That's pretty interesting; I might have to get very creative again to make my entry fit. My 'problem' at the moment is that I actually don't have a whole lot left on the backlog to paint.

I do have a couple of chunky Nobz that would make sense, but I've already entered Nobz before and I want to try something different!
Last edited by Mattb on Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

jus

Post by jus » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:01 am

yeah.. I should really take a break from submitting space marines again. THis might be a perfect oppurtunity to actually get started with my cursed city set.

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:26 am

Its a slightly tricky theme and the most obvious interpretation would be something physical large but I think you could also go with something that's just imposing in general. Anything that gives off that sort of aura should be perfect.

Personally I'm wondering if its finally time to paint up Abby, Ghaz, or someone along those lines but I haven't even built either one of them so maybe not. I probably have something relevant lying around though.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:34 am

Mattb wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:29 am
That's pretty interesting; I might have to get very creative again to make my entry fit. My 'problem' at the moment is that I actually don't have a whole lot left on the backlog to paint.
That's because the Gauntlet has been a huge success in its assault on our backlogs :lol: Honestly I'd been in a similar state, getting down to some very low priority stuff, though I expect the Stormcast wave *finally* hitting this month to fix that (on top of Kill Team).

This month's theme feels quite flexible, I've got an obvious candidate I've already started on but will explore more options once that unit is done. The Stormcast Dragons would be perfect but I don't know if they'll hit on time 🤔

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:39 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:34 am
This month's theme feels quite flexible, I've got an obvious candidate I've already started on but will explore more options once that unit is done. The Stormcast Dragons would be perfect but I don't know if they'll hit on time 🤔
If people want to try something a little bit different we could extend this round to 2 months to give everyone more time to get around to something truly fitting.

jus

Post by jus » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:15 am

I'm good for the usual schedulem but wouldn't mind for longer if that's what folks need. I'll be working on my absolute unit of vampire hunters.

Wow you guys actually finish painting all your stuff? That's amazing. I've ALWAYS had a mountain of unpainted stuff ever since I started the hobby.

...and i haven't even printed anything (much) recently. Except bases. But that doesn't count.

Return to “The Gauntlet”