Gauntlet 2.0

A monthly painting challenge open to everyone.
Konrad
Wargod

Re: Gauntlet 2.0

Post by Konrad » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:35 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:30 am
Konrad wins on goddamn principle here, I'm afraid, folks. There is one (and only one) mini that could possibly top his entry, and don't see him anywhere...
I considered sculpting one, but just not enough time to do it right and get it painted.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:47 pm

Konrad's entry obviously wins but unfortunately I can't put it in the poll due to the rules. =C
Here's the voting link for round 7, voting should be up till the 1st or so.

And for next month's theme:

"Freaking Laser Beams" - Dr. Evil

The usual rules apply and the deadline for round 8 is August 29th so go ahead and throw in one submission of anything you paint in that timespan that you think fits the theme.

締め切りは8/29なので、今日から締め切りの間に塗った物を1エントリーをこちらに投稿してください。
※モデルのサイズ、メーカー、数などの制限はありません。

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:22 am

For once I couldn't really justify anything in the backlog for this theme, so I turned to Ring Tail 😅

My plan now is to get the model on the table for the August game day so that the whole thing looks, you know, just as keikaku.

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:32 am

Unfortunately, randomly picking themes from my list seems to be resulting in some tricky themes but hopefully it's not too much trouble. I'm choosing to interpret "laser" as an energy weapon but you could also go for something that might use a magic beam attack or anything along those lines too. You could just go for a model that emanates Dr. Evil energy or any other creative interpretation of the theme you can come up with. In the end the only thing that actually matters is that its something you painted during the contest.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:38 am

Karantu wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:32 am
Unfortunately, randomly picking themes from my list seems to be resulting in some tricky themes but hopefully it's not too much trouble. I'm choosing to interpret "laser" as an energy weapon but you could also go for something that might use a magic beam attack or anything along those lines too. You could just go for a model that emanates Dr. Evil energy or any other creative interpretation of the theme you can come up with. In the end the only thing that actually matters is that its something you painted during the contest.
It's all good, I just decided to be lazy rather than creative this time :lol: I think the plan I went with will be better/cheaper than the Long Fangs Drop Pod I was considering anyway!

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:06 am

"Lasers".

The Jarl spoke the word with such forceful confidence and obvious excitement that Iron Priest Sveid felt she was clearly expected to understand what in Hel's name Sangroir was talking about. This was not the case.

"And melta!" offered Sister Superior Mirais helpfully. There always seemed to be Adepta Sororitas milling around the Daughters of Russ these days, and the mutual influence was not doing either side much good.

"Slow down, my lord. State your requirements clearly."

Sangrior took a breath, exchanged a nod with the Sister Superior, and stated her case.

"I let that Scythe, Gerlach, borrow one of our Impulsors, and she came back full of holes. Again. Orks this time, Charadon is filling up with their Morkai-cursed buggies. Anyway, I was getting into some of Tara's amsec with the Order girls..."

Of course.

"...and we had a thought, isn't it our fault for undegunning our noble craft? Should not the chariot of a Jarl strike down her foes with all the wrath of Fenris? We thought of mighty Skofnung, how for all her fury she still smites the enemy with the keen Las Talon upon her hull. And we thought that an Impulsor should mount one, nay, two such weapons."

"And multi-meltas." added Mirais with all the intensity of her clearly favoured armorment. Was worshipping a weapon above their precious Emperor a tech heresy or just ordinary heresy? No matter.

"You drunken fools just reinvented the Gladiator." Sveid sighed theatrically. "But we are defending a Forge World, and they will not begrudge us a tank or two."

The Iron Priest was far from convinced of the Gladiator's design, and it would fare even worse against the Orks if its pilot was not quick on the trigger. But what was the cost of a tank and a crew against being left alone to her work?

And it did indeed have sufficient frickin' lasers.

jus

Post by jus » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:36 am

@jye nicholson: I enjoyed that. It's nice raeding other people's lore

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:39 am

I've yet to post the results to last round and we already have an entry for the next one, which is impressive.

For round 7, first place goes to Matt with 18pts, followed by Dave at 13pts.
Hopefully the theme for round 8 isn't too troublesome and we get a few more entries this time.
If you're curious you can see the detailed results here.

Good luck with your entries next round!
Karantu wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:47 pm
And for next month's theme:
"Freaking Laser Beams" - Dr. Evil

The usual rules apply and the deadline for round 8 is August 29th so go ahead and throw in one submission of anything you paint in that timespan that you think fits the theme.

締め切りは8/29なので、今日から締め切りの間に塗った物を1エントリーをこちらに投稿してください。
※モデルのサイズ、メーカー、数などの制限はありません。

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:25 am

A multimelta is probably as close as I'm going to get to a friggin' lazer with anything that'll be coming anywhere near to my painting table in the forseeable future, so here's my entry:

And like Jye, I got inspired and wrote some fiction for it. :lol:

Phulok, the Wages of Failure

From behind a heavy blast-shielded door, sounds of chains, metal on metal, and a wet, muffled sound that might be a roar and might be a moan.

“What, exactly, was Phulok’s failure that led to his entombment in the engine, my lord?” the Assistant asks, reading the inscription above the door. She rubs at her forehead, which has been bothering her. The tattoo that had marked her as a sanctioned psyker was obliterated by a brand of the three-lobed eye upon her capture, and she is now nervous to inspect it in one of the few more-or-less reflective surfaces available to her in the small part of the ship she has access to – she has begun having a feeling lately that if she did so it might look back.

The Plaguecaster answers amiably, half-distractedly, a mild smile visible beneath his rusty veil of chain. “Hmm? You know, I don’t exactly recall. It’s been so long… But I’m sure it must have been quite bad, yes?”

The Assistant nods, nervously glancing back at the filthy rusted door. “How… long has it been?”

“Oh, what is time, after all, but an illusion forced by insipid four-dimensional space-time onto the flesh in which our minds are locked?” A wet chuckle, and a pause, as Pastus realizes that the Assistant does not share in his amusement. “Hm, well. A very long time, let’s say. Longer, in fact, than any who has been interred in the engine before! Quite remarkable, really. I’m sure he’s hanging on out of sheer bloody-mindedness. You know, he’s the only one who has never begged for release, not even once?” Another thoughtful pause. “Not that he has a mouth as such any more, I suppose…”

“And… when he is finally consumed, or killed? How will a new occupant be chosen?”

Another bland smile. “Well. One can always find failure, if one looks hard enough.” A hand, gentle but very very heavy, is laid on the Assistant’s shoulder. “Or if one continues to ask distracting questions while one’s superiors are trying to work, yes?”

A silent nod. Pat.

“Very good.”
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

jus

Post by jus » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:54 am

...poor Phulok. He got turned into a worm!

This is my penance for missing the previous 2 gauntlet challenges. Emperor forgive my laxity.

"Targeting solution acquired brothers! Praise be!"

Return to “The Gauntlet”