Bolt Action Tournament - August 15th (Sat)

Discussion of Flames of War, Black Powder and other historical games.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Bolt Action Tournament - August 15th (Sat)

Post by Primarch » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:17 am

komura wrote:@Justin @Job
Firstly, thank you for organizing this big event.
I've enjoyed three games even my Italian lost.
@Stu @Dave @ Mike
Thank you for gaming or chating me at this event.
All three game lost due to Italian army morale special
rule, I guess.
Could anyone let me know how to win the game by Italian?
How to win with Italians?
First of all, I don't think there was anything particularly bad about your list. I'd probably change your tank as the 1-man Turret rule is pretty bad for any army, but even worse with your lower morale. Everything else is similar to all of the other armies.
If you are using the national rules, use all of them. Build/buy some walls to use the defences you have access to, just in case you are the defender.
I guess the main thing you have to look at is where you can pick up easy kills, to try and keep the number of dead units on both sides fairly equal. For example, try to target weaker units, or ones which have no cover as a priority over large, dug in units. At the same time, you need to encourage the enemy to target your larger units rather than your own small teams. Place your weapons teams in good positions with cover and a clear field of fire, then play aggressively with your large rifle units. Push them forward in support of each other, hugging cover if possible and make the enemy deal with them. If one unit looks like it is likely to break, go Down to increase the to hit penalty and keep them alive longer.
I'm not sure that the Italians will ever be an easy army to win with, but that's how I would play them.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:52 am

komura wrote:Could anyone let me know how to win the game by Italian?
It seems to me that the rule is especially harmful to you when you have a lot of cheap, easy-to-kill units. I don't know the Italian army list well, but could you maybe go with a bit more of an elite force?
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:19 am

Thanks for running this YS and Job. It was great fun.
Cheers to my opponents too.
Morituri nolumus mori!

komura
Veteran

Post by komura » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:15 pm

@Mike @ Dave
Thank you for your advices. I will keep in mind your advices.
At next occasion I'll try elite roster like paras.

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:26 am

Cheers all from China (seems nagoyahammer.com isn't blocked here, unlike Twitter, Google and Facebook!)
Glad everyone enjoyed the day, thanks to Joe for his assistance in arranging and organising everything.

I hope we get the chance to arrange another BA day later the year or early next year, perhaps something with more of an overall theme or mini campaign or a giant 'mass battle' feel.

Congrats to the Axis powers for their victory and to Stu for going through undefeated!
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:25 pm

To those who attended,

I promised Kazu-san a write-up of the event as a thank you for the prize support. If you have any photos or amusing anecdotes from your games, please email them to me or post them below so I can include them. I'll be writing it up this week, so the sooner the better please!

Cheers.

YS.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:22 am

YellowStreak wrote:To those who attended,

I promised Kazu-san a write-up of the event as a thank you for the prize support. If you have any photos or amusing anecdotes from your games, please email them to me or post them below so I can include them. I'll be writing it up this week, so the sooner the better please!

Cheers.

YS.
There was that one game where my opponent forgot he could recce his cavalry. :D
Not much in the way of amusing goings on from my end. All three games were pretty much by the book I'm afraid. Not much in the way of lucky shots or one-in-a-million assaults. On the other side of things, my list worked well as a mobile strike force, launching textbook assaults by keeping enemy units suppressed before delivering the coup de grace with squads of grenadiers piling onto the objective.

Good rolling on my part and poor rolling from my opponents helped of course. Had the dice gone the other way, I would probably have enjoyed far less success.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:38 am

Primarch wrote: There was that one game where my opponent forgot he could recce his cavalry. :D
Geez what a dunce!

Didn't you have a bit of luck on the Stalingrad table?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:27 am

YellowStreak wrote:
Primarch wrote: There was that one game where my opponent forgot he could recce his cavalry. :D
Geez what a dunce!

Didn't you have a bit of luck on the Stalingrad table?
Yes, but nothing that stood out as being 'Wow.' Just above average rolling for the most part coupled with the Italian special rule crippling Komura san's chances of getting his army to perform to the best of it's ability.

Return to “Historical Games”