Warlord + Osprey = WW2 Game

Discussion of Flames of War, Black Powder and other historical games.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Warlord + Osprey = WW2 Game

Post by Primarch » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:39 am

Warlord Games and Osprey have agreed to collaborate on the production of a new 28mm scale WW2 wargame.
For those of you who don't know these two companies, Warlord Games consists of several ex-GW managers and designers and they produce historical miniatures and games running from ancient Rome through to WW2. They have produced several games themselves including the recent Black Powder napoleonics ruleset (written by Rick Priestley and Jervis Johnson) and the Hail Caesar ancients ruleset (by Rick Priestley).
Osprey have been producing books on military history for about as long as there has been a history of the military. Their books cover uniforms, tactics, vehicles, equipment and famous battles as well as looking at the culture and background relating to the warriors involved. I just finished reading a book on the Celtic enemies of Rome and I found it to be quite interesting and informative. Their stuff is definitely worth a read if you are interested in historical combat.
Warlord Games and Osprey Publishing are teaming up to create Bolt Action: World War II Wargames Rules. Written by veteran game designers Alessio Cavatore and Rick Priestley, Bolt Action is a fast, fun 28mm wargame that rewards tactical play, but doesn’t get bogged down with excessive tables and charts. The main rulebook is scheduled for a July 2012 release, followed by a series of books covering the armies of the major and minor powers of World War II.

John Stallard, Managing Director of Warlord Games, had this to say: “Osprey has been putting out fantastic books for wargamers for as long as I can remember, and having a chance to work with them on Bolt Action was too good an opportunity to miss. With their commitment to high production values, I know the book is going to be something special.

Richard Sullivan, from Osprey Publishing, added: ‘You would be hard pressed to find a wargaming company with more combined industry experience than Warlord Games. We are excited to work with these guys on a game that is supported by such a high quality, extensive, and continuously expanding miniatures line.

Warlord Games have previously published the popular Black Powder and Hail Caesar rules, and Osprey has released hundreds of World War II titles over the years, making Bolt Action a dream collaboration between the two companies.

Bolt Action: World War II Wargames Rules will be released in a full-colour hardback edition in July 2012.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Warlord + Osprey = WW2 Game

Post by Primarch » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but it saves opening a new one.

Anyway, Bolt Action, the WW2 Platoon level wargame is nearly upon us. Warlord have a couple of pictures of the book and it's layout up on their site, but to save you the trouble I have copied them over to here. Enjoy.

Front Cover

Inside the book
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:24 pm

not really my thing (lack of dragons and lasers is a big off-puter for me) but with that pedigree I'm sure it'll be a fine game. You kids enjoy yourselves, now :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:45 pm

This would be fun but I am all out of model cash I will play it if anyone wants to lend me an army.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:05 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote:This would be fun but I am all out of model cash I will play it if anyone wants to lend me an army.
Luckily I have two for just such an occasion.
Just need the rule book to be released now. :D

@M_i_J - C'mon mate, you know you want to. There are neither dragons nor lasers in Malifaux and you seem to enjoy that. :D

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:44 pm

I'm surprised that out of all the historical games piquing interest at the moment this one hasn't garnered mre support yet. The ruleset should be great given the writers, cheap to start (thanks Warlord) and most importantly It'll be like gaming a Commando comic, which is in no way a bad thing :D I brought some minis to Japan in anticipation of this, German Heer, Commandos and Home Guard. Just need the relevant vehicles.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:22 am

Lovejoy wrote:I'm surprised that out of all the historical games piquing interest at the moment this one hasn't garnered mre support yet. The ruleset should be great given the writers, cheap to start (thanks Warlord) and most importantly It'll be like gaming a Commando comic, which is in no way a bad thing :D I brought some minis to Japan in anticipation of this, German Heer, Commandos and Home Guard. Just need the relevant vehicles.
I think there are a few reasons for this. First of all, unlike Black Powder etc, it isn't available yet. Secondly, Warlord and Osprey have been fairly hush hush about it alll. And thirdly, many people round these parts who do like WW2 all play it in some really wierd scale. :lol:

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:26 am

Prim wrote:
@M_i_J - C'mon mate, you know you want to. There are neither dragons nor lasers in Malifaux and you seem to enjoy that.
Daemons. And robots. No daemons or robots in historical stuff, sadly... :cry:
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:41 pm

The Pre-order for Bolt Action is up:
http://www.warlordgames.com/store/bolt- ... ebook.html

25 GBP nets you a nice looking book and a free mini. Released late September, I'll be asking the missus to order me one for my birthday. :D

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Really, this can't come out fast enough for me. Reeks of quality, and it seems that a plethora of supplements are going to quickly follow for German, US and British Forces.

Some new WWII terrain, Fallschirmjager and home guard appropriate vehicles are on their way already for a future Operation Sealion "what if" scenario.

The Daleks I ordered from Black Tree Design may have to have a crack at Walmington-on-Sea too :oops:
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Return to “Historical Games”