Saga: Crescent and Cross

Discussion of Flames of War, Black Powder and other historical games.
Lovejoy
Legend

Saga: Crescent and Cross

Post by Lovejoy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:50 am

I only became aware of this yesterday, but am interested in it. Crusades skirmish using the Saga system was released today*

A review:
http://www.sagatapestry.com/2014/06/rev ... -book.html

From the Gripping Beast site:
https://grippingbeast.com/webpage.php?PageID=1044

It seems to be stand alone, not an expansion, which is attractive for many people. I think. Plastic Arab forces also available from Gripping Beast, and more sexy dice (which you don't really need). I read that 3 factions available initially, one Saracen, two Crusader, then that there are 6 in the book, so, you know, whatever.

*okay.. perhaps tomorrow depending on where you live and what time it is here, but you get the idea
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Saga: Crescent and Cross

Post by Primarch » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:12 am

Crusades are tempting, but then, so is shieldwall era Northern Europe. I have heard mainly good things about Saga, with the only gripe being that the special dice for the game are (or were at the time), frequently out of stock. Having never played the game, I'm not sure how exactly it plays, but it does sound interesting. As much as I like Hail Caesar, big battalion games take up a lot of space and require a lot of effort to get ready. Maybe smaller, skirmishier (did I just make that up?) games may be the way to go.

I read somewhere that as well as special dice, saga also needs battleboards for your faction. Are these something that comes with the rulebook or do you need to buy GB's official starter sets to get them (thereby preventing you from shopping around)?

I should really get around to reading the Saga rules sometime. I think I have a copy of the core rules and Northern Fury (???) somewhere.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:02 am

I bought the original Saga rules, Northern Fury, and have a couple of warbands waiting to be painted, Jomsvikings and Normans. Battleboards come with the rulebooks and supplements. After reading the rules thoroughly (just skimmed them myself), experienced players say that the battleboards are all you really need to keep going. And they are A4, so I suppose unscrupulous people would allow them to be photocopied for their fellow gamers without qualms. Ahem.

The special dice are nice, but not essential. I do think though that with the battleboards, because they feature the symbols heavily, the dice would make play much quicker and less head-scratchy. But you could manage without. In the case of the Norman dice for example, the symbols break down as 1-3 (Shield), 4-5 (Helmet) and 6 (banner). Theres even a table at the back of the rule book which explains it the symbols for the 4 basic factions.

I own 3 sets of dice, because a) a fool and his money are soon parted, and b) they look great (viking, saxon, norman) :oops: I ordered them from Northstar who seem to get supplied by studio tomohawk/gripping beast well.

By the way, online there are home-brewed battleboards for Game of Thrones and LOTR factions which seem like fun projects.

Totally agree about historicals, so many periods I want to try, but the thought of having to prepare a sizeable army for each whim is what makes it harder. Any viable historical force seems to be upwards of 200 minis easily, so any skirmishy solution seems great. WotR/late medieval Saga rules would be fantastic. Perhaps Crescents and Crusades will accommodate that to some extent.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:27 am

Osprey are releasing a game called The Lion Rampant next month, which is supposed to cover skirmish level late medieval games. I plan to pick up a copy as their other games have all looked very good to be honest.
Dux Bellorum covers late romans up to about the time period when Saga kicks off and sounds like a smallish sized game as well.
Spoiled for choice, but no time, space or money to appreciate it. :(
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:39 am

I've always been tempted by Saga, but it is on the back burner until the end of the year for me.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:46 am

Northstar are listing the Crescent and Cross merchandise now, worth a look as there's interesting stuff there. Rules, dice and a faction would set you back 75-100 GBP though, not factoring in p&p. Maybe one for next years to-do list.

http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=177&page=1

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:58 am

Lovejoy wrote:Northstar are listing the Crescent and Cross merchandise now, worth a look as there's interesting stuff there. Rules, dice and a faction would set you back 75-100 GBP though, not factoring in p&p. Maybe one for next years to-do list.

http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=177&page=1
Well, you could pay 25% for delivery OR you could order it from a retailer with free international shipping.
Caliver Books. Their site is rubbish, but they usually offer some kind of discount and free shipping on orders over about 15 GBP.

Return to “Historical Games”