Ancients

Discussion of Flames of War, Black Powder and other historical games.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Ancients

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:24 am

Hey guys,

So as a lot of you know, I started a little project of collecting models for Thermopylae in 6mm - Spartans vs Persians, fight in the shade, et cetera et cetera. I sort of had a think, though, and realized I'm going about it in a kind of antisocial way, without even seeing if anyone else around here was at all interested in ancients! (I know Prim at least has been collecting some stuff for Hail Caesar in 28mm.) So here is me asking, heh. I'll sort of throw out some of my thoughts on things, see if anybody else is interested and/or wants to weigh in.

Scale: Personally, as everyone pretty much knows, I'm all for 6mm. There are a couple things going for ancients in 6mm, I think. First, Baccus has a ridiculously comprehensive range at typical 6mm prices - they have some 500 point army packs for Hail Caesar that will run you around 50GBP. Second, you get that cool big battles look, which I think is pretty fitting for ancients, with units of a few hundred individual models rather than a few dozen.

Rules: The nice thing about ancients is that there is a plethora of rulesets, pretty much all of which don't really care how you base your armies up or what scale they're in, as long as you and your opponent do it the same way. I own Warmaster Ancients and Sword and Spear, and Hail Caesar is more-or-less "rules Rick Priestley and his friends cooked up to play Warmaster Ancients while drunk," so that would be easy to get into as well. :) The point being that the rules really wouldn't matter in terms of how armies were collected - for 6mm at least, if you put your dudes on 40mmx20mm bases you'll be pretty much golden for any ruleset it seems.

Period: This is where things get sticky and it helps to communicate and stuff. Most rulesets will allow you to play a game of, say, Hittites vs Celts, but it would be a bit, well, dumb. I've started, as I say, collecting to the Classical Greek period, but there are some nice things about, say, Imperial or Republical Roman periods in terms of having a plethora of opponents to chose from.

Of course, I do realize it's entirely possible that ancients, and especially at the scale I'm interested in, is a bit niche for the size of our gaming group, heh. In which case I'll just quietly collect both sides of a battle and cheerfully do it the demo way.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 16 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Ancients

Post by Primarch » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:57 am

Well, as you know, I already have 28mm Roman and Celt armies started. I can see why 6mm is appealing, it's cheap and easy to store. I don't imagine you would field units with hundreds of figures though. If you have 200 minis in a unit, you'll be taking up the same space (maybe not vertically :) )as a unit of two dozen 28mm minis and not saving a whole load of cash. Still 6mm minis will let you field more for less as it were.

At the moment, I will probably stick to my current forces*, but I will happily trade you a game for a game if you do decide to build up two armies yourself.

*Mainly because I have already invested (heavily) in two largish forces rather than any lack of desire to do greek/persian armies.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:41 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't have figured you'd want to trade down. :) Your armies are fantastic.
-----

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:17 am

I'd like to play. I have 20mm Persians, oh too bad, wrong scale again. Why don't you buy it collect it and paint both armies and then I'll play when it's ready :D Joking but also serious.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Daniel
Rookie

Post by Daniel » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:05 am

Hi,
Sorry to jump in your thread but I've just arrive to Nagoya and would like to know it there is people playing ancient here. I'am a DBMM player but because I'll just be around for 5 months I didn't bring anything.
I just want to know what is played and if there is some club in Nagoya.

Thanks for any information.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:30 am

Daniel wrote:Hi,
Sorry to jump in your thread but I've just arrive to Nagoya and would like to know it there is people playing ancient here. I'am a DBMM player but because I'll just be around for 5 months I didn't bring anything.
I just want to know what is played and if there is some club in Nagoya.

Thanks for any information.
Hi Daniel and welcome to NagoyaHammer.
I don't think anyone around here plays DBMM, we have mainly been using Hail Caesar so far. Ancients are not one of the main games at the local club. I have some Romans and some Celts and 'The Other Dave,' who started this topic has some Greeks in 6mm, but I'm not sure how far he has got with them so far.
You are more than welcome to come along to the local events if you are in town, we usually meet on the last Sunday of the month. Just look for threads titled Joshin in the Event Finder section of the forum.
Feel free to look around the site and post comments if you want to.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:43 am

Ach! 5 months! A short time, especially considering my painting speed. :)

I've head good things about DBMM, but ATM I'm collecting towards Warmaster Ancients - unfortunately haven't gotten much painting done yet because ancients are on the back burner until I get some other projects finished.

But by all means drop by a games day and hang out!
-----

Daniel
Rookie

Post by Daniel » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:16 pm

HI,
Thanks for the information. I supposed that here wasn't any DBx because never heard anything from here. Anyway, I would be glad to show how it works or to play anything in the ancients range. I once started to played Warmaster Fantasy so maybe I could also try with Warmaster Ancients.

I'll look then for the next games day (29th??).

See you

Return to “Historical Games”