Bolt Action - A Beginner's Guide

Discussion of Flames of War, Black Powder and other historical games.
Mikball
Rookie

Re: Bolt Action - A Beginner's Guide

Post by Mikball » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:48 am

Evening gents,

After a few weeks of chopping and changing, I've finally made a decision and just about to purchase my first BA army - Was edging towards German Grenadiers, but looks like there's a of those getting around already so... Waffen SS it is.

But, just before I click 'Buy' - any feedback would be appreciated.

At present I have in my shopping basket

1x Waffen SS box set which includes:
*(6-man Command Squad: 1x Officer, 1x NCO with MP40 SMG, 1x 2-man radio team with rifles, 1x Medic, 1x rifleman)
* 9-man squad: 2x NCOs with MP40 SMGs, 1x 2-man MG42 LMG team, 5x riflemen
*1x 81mm mortar with 3 crew
*2x soldats with StG44 assault rifles

Plus
1x 10man Waffen SS Squad
1x MG42
1x Pak 40
1x BA Dice set

Cheers

Mikball
Rookie

Post by Mikball » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:50 am

Also, I was looking at the selection of BA books on bookdepository.com and they seem to have 2nd edition BA rulebook pre-order listed for Sept 2016 and German Army book for December 2016

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:58 am

Mikball wrote:Also, I was looking at the selection of BA books on bookdepository.com and they seem to have 2nd edition BA rulebook pre-order listed for Sept 2016 and German Army book for December 2016
Nice research man. Well done and bravo!
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:01 pm

Mikball wrote:Also, I was looking at the selection of BA books on bookdepository.com and they seem to have 2nd edition BA rulebook pre-order listed for Sept 2016 and German Army book for December 2016
According to the Warlord forum, those dates are very much a target rather than a fact.
Rick Priestley wrote:Amazon keeps trying to sell me books I haven't written yet.
However, if you don't feel like you need a copy of the rules to play a couple of games, you may want to hold off buying until the new edition is released be it in September or otherwise.

Waffen-SS eh? I can say from experience that their camo is a pain to paint. :D

With that lot, I think you have a good selection, but the PaK 40 might be something you should think about picking up later. It's a really good AT gun, but it's also quite expensive and the Germans get a fair selection of troop portable AT with Panzerfausts as well as really good AT guns in most of their vehicles.
I would suggest either this lot for more versatility in your list, or maybe the Charlemagne box, combined with what you already have on your list, that would cover you for 3 full infantry squads with a lot of optional gear. (I filed the tricolor shoulder badges off mine to use them as regular SS).
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:15 am

As someone looking at making some purchases for his first army, are there any well-known list construction pitfalls? Or will a more-or-less historical list be more-or-less effective?
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:22 am

The Other Dave wrote:As someone looking at making some purchases for his first army, are there any well-known list construction pitfalls? Or will a more-or-less historical list be more-or-less effective?
There aren't really any pitfalls, but it' worth remembering that Infantry>Tanks. Taking the bare minimum of other units so that you can squeeze in a Tiger II is probably going to cost you the game. As a rule of thumb, you want roughly 1 order dice (ie 1 unit) per 100 points. Historical lists are pretty much the standard round here, so you can't go far wrong with that.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:41 am

Some generalized points to keep in mind might be:

- More units in a list means more chances to activate before your opponent.
- Have things to pile pin markers on a target: MMGs, LMGs in squads, etc.
- Have some HE with D6 or 2D6 and so on is nice. These weapons can devastate units and mortars are good for blasting out fixed weapons.
- Assault weapons are useful, but they are generally more effective on veterans.
- Tanks have varying ability. Generally lots of machine guns with good penetration and HE is good.
- conversely it is generally good to have AT defenses: other tanks, AT guns, some artillery, rocket launchers or other devices. My suggestion is to have a few options in a list. Also sometimes neutralizing a tank or any unit in BA is just putting plenty of pin markers on it.
- Recon cars and units are a lot of fun. Their ability to recce move can be nifty.
- Flamers are good. Most players stay away from the vehicle flame throwers because they are apparently very good. At least I haven't seen anyone play one yet.

Otherwise, play with what you like. You might base something around a historical unit, a movie or your whimsy.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:06 am

Primarch wrote:There aren't really any pitfalls, but it' worth remembering that Infantry>Tanks. Taking the bare minimum of other units so that you can squeeze in a Tiger II is probably going to cost you the game. As a rule of thumb, you want roughly 1 order dice (ie 1 unit) per 100 points. Historical lists are pretty much the standard round here, so you can't go far wrong with that.
Ah, good. I like taking lots of infantry in my wargames when I can anyway.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Return to “Historical Games”