Bolt Action - Transports - House Rule???

Discussion of Flames of War, Black Powder and other historical games.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Bolt Action - Transports - House Rule???

Post by Primarch » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:45 pm

So, as you are all well aware, transports, especially armoured transports are pretty expensive in BA, don't prevent your troops from being pinned, die if they get near the enemy AND can't fire their guns if they are empty. Is it any wonder then that we don't see many of them on the tabletop? They could make a huge difference to certain missions, mainly the ones where one player has to cross the table and capture objectives/escape from the far edge.

What I would like to propose as a house rule is:
When an infantry squad disembarks from it's transport, it may leave one man behind to act as a gunner for the vehicle. This gunner may not disembark at a later point in time and for all intents and purposes becomes a part of the vehicle's crew. The gunner may only operate the vehicle's primary weapon. Artillery and other units with the Team special rule (e.g. MG Teams, Snipers etc), may not leave a man to act as a gunner. Observers and Medics may not leave a man to act as a gunner as well. (Effectively only infantry squads and junior officer units will be able to use this rule).
A unit may not provide more than 1 gunner per game, even if the original transport is destroyed.
A transport with a gunner follows all the rules for an empty transport except it may still fire it's primary weapon. (i.e. it is still destroyed if it gets too close to the enemy or gets assaulted).

The rationale - It's historically accurate for units to provide a crew for their transport. German Panzergrenadier units had a designated driver and gunner within the unit. When they went into combat the driver and gunner would remain on-board the Hanomag and provide supporting fire. British Bren Carrier sections operated in much the same way. Transports, armoured and otherwise played a big role in WW2, they should be viable units in a game based on the conflict.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Spevna

Re: Bolt Action - Transports - House Rule???

Post by Spevna » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:22 pm

Next time we play, I've no problem using this rule mate.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:39 am

Sounds fine to me.
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:41 am

I like the idea.

I also read something about the transport being removed from play if at the end of the turn it is closer to the enemy than to an ally. Is this right? I have not encountered this in any games yet.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:40 am

kojibear wrote:I like the idea.

I also read something about the transport being removed from play if at the end of the turn it is closer to the enemy than to an ally. Is this right? I have not encountered this in any games yet.
Yes, that's what happens. And you probably haven't encountered it as transports are rarely seen in games.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:43 am

Primarch wrote:
kojibear wrote:I like the idea.

Yes, that's what happens. And you probably haven't encountered it as transports are rarely seen in games.
Well, I suppose that is reflective of actual war scenarios, but...ouch! Pretty risky leaving the transport. Someone with any wheeled/tracked vehicle can zip over and nab it. :( Could I suggest we also look into adjusting this rule also?

Return to “Historical Games”