Dave Tries Not Being Antisocial: WWII in 15mm

Discussion of Flames of War, Black Powder and other historical games.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Dave Tries Not Being Antisocial: WWII in 15mm

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:19 pm

An explanation, an apology, and an invitation!

Y'all have probably noticed my pictures here and there of something I've sort of self-deprecatingly dubbed my "anti-social world war 2 project" - collecting and painting a couple platoon-sized forces in 15mm. The thing started because I had these Armored Rifles for Flames of War sitting in my cupboard, and I realized I'd probably never collect enough to actually play that game with them, so I looked into filling them out into a Chain-of-Command-suitable platoon, since I've been interested in that game as a while. Then I thought I ought to get some Germans for them to fight, and before I knew it, it had turned it into a little project. Which I've had great fun with! I gushed about it a bit in my painting projects thread, but collecting and painting this size force in 15mm has proved to be cheap, quick, easy, and quite nice-looking.

The reason I dubbed it "anti-social" was two-fold - first, lots of guys locally have put a lot of time and effort into collecting and painting some excellent-looking WWII armies in 28mm, and at the same time my own efforts at collecting a 28mm German force stalled after like 5 dudes. So it seemed selfish of me to say "hey, I know you guys have put a lot of effort into this, but I'm just going to ignore that and collect something in a scale nobody else is using, OK?" (Especially with Prim putting so much blood, sweat and tears into a really really excellent-looking Overlord board! Not to mention everyone else getting ready for said event.) Which is also why I didn't have the guts to actually ask if anyone else was interested in joining me over here in individually-based 15mm land, so I puttered along through the project on my own and shared pictures and called myself anti-social and left it at that. And I really do feel like I'm being selfish in some sense, I just honestly can't look more than like 10 of the same model in 28mm in the face, apparently.

But, you know, Prim sort of called me out on it in my thread, and he's right - nobody ever got anywhere being anti-social. So to heck with that. Anyone want to join me in individually-based 15mm land for some Chain of Command or Bolt Action or whatever? It really is fantastically cheap (like, really, you can get a platoon from Peter Pig for like 15 GBP, and I got more than I could possibly use for my Germans from PSC for 30) and quick to paint up and looks sharp. Can't hurt to ask, right? I'll happily make an effortpost singing the praises of CoC if anyone's interested in hearing about that, too.

Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Dave Tries Not Being Antisocial: WWII in 15mm

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:15 pm

The Other Dave wrote: But, you know, Prim sort of called me out on it in my thread, and he's right...
Well, it's worth bearing in mind that a lot of the time Prim is talking out of his a#*%. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Dave Tries Not Being Antisocial: WWII in 15mm

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:08 pm

Primarch wrote:
The Other Dave wrote: But, you know, Prim sort of called me out on it in my thread, and he's right...
Well, it's worth bearing in mind that a lot of the time Prim is talking out of his a#*%. :D
Now you tell me! :D
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Return to “Historical Games”