A collaborative historical project - A discussion

Discussion of Flames of War, Black Powder and other historical games.
job
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: A collaborative historical project - A discussion

Post by job » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:45 pm

Good points, Prim.

Personally I'm interested in seeing some large scale event any number of players can participate. Hopefully like the D-Day BA event you organized, it would be something the participants would remember for some time.

I'm quite willing to be flexible with the scale so long as the commitment is there from others and the game is suitable grand to accomodate the miniaturized scale. Something in the order or doing most of the Waterloo units or Davout's assault on the Bagration fletched at Borodino. Ancients would be great on the grand scale of 6mm I feel.

Might I suggest one other idea: Ullanor. This is historic FICTION, rather than historicals, but for many people this is kind of pseudo-history. I believe the idea was kicked around by jus and Auxryn last time. I'm sure some Orc players would like to dust off their greenskins to reenact the greatest Pre-Heresy era battle.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:07 pm

job wrote:Might I suggest one other idea: Ullanor. This is historic FICTION, rather than historicals, but for many people this is kind of pseudo-history. I believe the idea was kicked around by jus and Auxryn last time. I'm sure some Orc players would like to dust off their greenskins to reenact the greatest Pre-Heresy era battle.
Easy for the Ork players, but Forge World prices are ridiculous for the marines. That's one that should be done in 6mm scale.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:49 am

I'd probably be up for some sort of group project. It would greatly depend on the period though. There are just some periods that I can't get enthused about. But rather than dwell on the negative, how about a list of things I could really get into if others are...

WW2

Kursk or Operation Bagration
In either...
28mm - A platoon a piece? Bolt Action Tank War
15mm Flames of War - A company a piece or fewer models using scaled down BA
6mm - A battalion a piece

For Kursk (it's the 75th anniversary next year) we could focus on the Prokorovkha(sp) SS Panzers and Tigers vs Guards T-34s front and/or the Northern front with Elefants leading the charge. Bagration would be similar but with a wider variety of Tanks. Of all the options, the one I would like is to do BA in 15mm. 9x T-34s No Problem!

Roman Empire

The Roman Invasion of Britain using Hail Caesar in 28mm or 15mm

Dark Ages

Danes/Vikings vs Anglo Saxons. OR Romano-Britons (i.e. King Arthur) vs Anglo Saxons.
Easy to do using HC and the various plastics available.

100 years war

In 28mm using HC?

Napoleonics

The 1809 campaign against Austria (which I'm currently slowly working on) or the Invasion of Russia in 1812.
Could be done in 6mm, 15mm or 28mm with reasonbly priced options for each.
Early Naps. The campaigns against Austria, Prussia and Russia. Why? Shakos-Schmakos! Let's get some Bicornes and Mitres out there!

Moderns

'Cold War gone Hot' using my very simple BA hack or on a larger scale using the FOW variation 'Team Yankee' in 15mm.
28mm Moderns. Afghanistan, Syria/Iraq. A wide variety of forces and rules sets available.

And that's about it for now.
Morituri nolumus mori!

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:52 am

I, for one, would be very enthused about BA in 15mm.

(It would also give me a chance to evangelize about CoC a bit, heh.)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:44 pm

Some things there that I could see myself doing.
BA in 15mm could work, but due to BA not working all that well for huge games, limiting it to tank platoons with a smattering of infantry might be best?
I already have a good start on Romans and Celts/Britons.
Anglo-Saxons Vs. Vikings is on my own list of things I'd be keen on. Saxons Vs. Romano-Britons may depend on Gripping Beast doing Early Saxons in plastic. (I think some of their armour was a little different).
100 Years War? Sure. Perrys do some lovely figures.
More Naps could also be a possibility.

Any more thoughts anyone?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:50 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot the French and Indian wars for Black powder. Available in 28mm from Warlord and other places. Lots of very colourful units and the fun we could have with our French, American and Wes Studi accents! :D
Morituri nolumus mori!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:05 pm

Mike the Pike wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot the French and Indian wars for Black powder. Available in 28mm from Warlord and other places. Lots of very colourful units and the fun we could have with our French, American and Wes Studi accents! :D
As a skirmish level game it's easy enough. At a BP scale it's going to be pricey. Interesting period though.

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Primarch wrote:
Mike the Pike wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot the French and Indian wars for Black powder. Available in 28mm from Warlord and other places. Lots of very colourful units and the fun we could have with our French, American and Wes Studi accents! :D
As a skirmish level game it's easy enough. At a BP scale it's going to be pricey. Interesting period though.
Muskets and Tomahawks? Yep, this is another ruleset I own but haven't done anything about. Skirmish level, so no need for bucketloads of minis.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:29 pm

Primarch wrote:BA in 15mm could work, but due to BA not working all that well for huge games, limiting it to tank platoons with a smattering of infantry might be best?
I realize it's an unfamiliar system and won't harp on it too much more :D but! Chain of Command's "big game" mode, where each player on a side controls an infantry or tank platoon, runs very smoothly by all accounts! And there's a very simple tool available to figure out the force rating for any platoon organization you care to put together too.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:42 pm

How about something crazy historical like the FBI raid on Innsmouth Mass.
Weird war skirmish WW2 with fishmen. :)
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Return to “Historical Games”