Just testing the waters - Historical Projects??

Discussion of Flames of War, Black Powder and other historical games.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Just testing the waters - Historical Projects??

Post by Primarch » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:40 am

Recently, the British Pound has been on a steep, downwards trend. Whatever your feelings about British politics/economics, this does mean that purchasing from any* UK mini company is getting cheaper and cheaper.

So, I am currently looking at buying some minis (yes, me :o . Can you believe it? :lol: ), but I figured before I did, I should see if there is much appetite locally for working on a project together, maybe in the same way as the previous Fulford game.

I have some ideas for things I'd like to do, but if anyone has any suggestions I'm happy to discuss them.

Of course, I still need to get this past the financial committee (aka my better half), which is always tricky.

Anyway, if there is any interest, let me know.

*unless they have some silly embargo thing that results in them charging ridiculous prices due to impractical exchange rates. But who would be daft enough to do something like that eh?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Just testing the waters - Historical Projects??

Post by job » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:14 am

You can count on my support. I know the AWI project fizzled our, but seriously I twice pressed “Purchase” but fate conspired twice to cancel the order (the 2nd time my bank putting a freeze on the card about suspicious orders to out of country vendors). My main limitation is how much I can paint. It would also be nice to do something that links into the current collection of models (World War II, Napoleonics). But I’d consider other periods too.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:58 am

My only suggestion would be for someone to take Mike’s place as “the other person with 6mm Napoleonics” so I don’t gave to eBay mine. :?

(Seriously, it was very cool being able to play a BP game with like 20 units a side and lots of maneuver and so forth in an afternoon, on a standard size table.)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:26 am

job wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:14 am
You can count on my support. I know the AWI project fizzled our, but seriously I twice pressed “Purchase” but fate conspired twice to cancel the order (the 2nd time my bank putting a freeze on the card about suspicious orders to out of country vendors). My main limitation is how much I can paint. It would also be nice to do something that links into the current collection of models (World War II, Napoleonics). But I’d consider other periods too.
I've been looking at a game from Osprey called Rebels and Patriots that covers American conflicts from the FIW up to the ACW. It's a company level game with around 40-60 minis per side in units of 6-12. I figure it might be a good way to start out an AWI project as you can base the minis on 25mm round bases fpr R&P and then use movement trays if you want to scale up to BP. It's also a good excuse to paint up some of the more colourful, sorry 'colorful,' (it is set in America) units of the period rather than masses of line infantry.

@ToD - While there are merits to the small, compact nature of 6mm, it's truly not my thing. Hopefully you can find another player though as you did put a lot of work into your collection.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:03 am

@ Primarch: That sounds like a great idea. I’m intrigued. I’ve certainly played around with the idea of Osprey skirmish rules for Naps and Medieval stuff. I’ll look around for the rules and begin planning something. (I’m still keen about doing Hessians, the 78th Highlanders and some Continentals.)

@ ToD: I’m certainly happy to give 6, 10 or 15mm a whirl.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:13 pm

job wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:03 am
@ ToD: I’m certainly happy to give 6, 10 or 15mm a whirl.
Well, for 36 pounds from Baccus you can get a French army pack with 10 units of foot, 12 of cavalry, 4 artillery pieces and enough for 3 bases of commanders.

https://www.baccus6mm.com/catalogue/Napoleonics/French/

If you do, my British will be waiting and ready to meet them in battle!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:33 am

@ ToD: Certainly. I always liked how MtP was able to make Dabout’s 3rd Corps for I think it was Auerstadt. I’m slowly piecing together Prince Pontiawski’s 8th Corps for Leipzig in 28mm, but that will be a long road. The other Corps I’d like to build would be Sebestani’s IV Corps for Talavera. If you want to set a match up in 2020, I could probably make a force in 6mm.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Return to “Historical Games”