Bolt Action - New Edition Incoming

Discussion of Flames of War, Black Powder and other historical games.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Bolt Action - New Edition Incoming

Post by Primarch » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:17 am

Warlord Games and Osprey Publishing just announced that they are working on the 3rd edition of Bolt Action.
We’re proud to announce a revised and updated third edition of the best-selling Bolt Action World War II wargaming rules from Warlord Games.

Bring the great battles of World War II to your table-top with Bolt Action. Strike out from the beaches of Normandy. Sweep across the deserts of North Africa. Battle in the jungles of Asia and on the islands of the Pacific. Fight from street to street in Arnhem, Stalingrad, and Berlin.

This third edition features refined and updated rules and starter army lists to get new players straight into the action. Seasoned veterans, meanwhile, will find new tactical depth in the detailed force composition mechanics and a wide variety of fresh challenges in the scenario generation system.

Rally your forces, study the terrain, and prepare for battle – the fighting continues!
// COMING 26.09.2024 //
Warlord have also released an FAQ about the upcoming changes:
https://warlord-community.warlordgames. ... mber-2024/

So, it has been 8 years since 2nd edition dropped (2016) and 16 years since the game was first released I believe (2008ish). Having to update all of my army books is kind of a pain, but at least they should remain valid for a long while. Could you imagine if your game of choice required buying new rules more frequently than once a decade? :D
It seems that the new edition is mainly changing the army list side of things, all of the things that make BA the game it is are staying. As a historical game, there won't be any phasing out of armies or replacing of unit types, so everything I have is still usable. There are some rules that need tweaking in the core rulebook, but I always found BA to be a breeze to play for the most part.

Hopefully this will give the local players an excuse to dust off their collections, and maybe provide an opportunity for new players to join in.
I for one am excited!
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

YellowStreak
Legend

Re: Bolt Action - New Edition Incoming

Post by YellowStreak » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:10 pm

I hope they incorporate some of the rule additions from K47 around reactive fire and combat with unactivated units.
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Return to “Historical Games”