Day 21 of quarantine, Roll20 do be looking pretty good.

Regular (and irregular) events in the Nagoya area can be posted up here. If you want to get your gaming fix, this is the place to look first.
Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: Day 21 of quarantine, Roll20 do be looking pretty good.

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed May 13, 2020 10:39 pm

Karantu wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:11 am
Sort of off-topic but would you(or anyone else) be interested in trying out a game of AoS on Vassal or Tabletop simulator? AoS would probably work better since its a bit simpler than 40k and there's less verticality to worry about.
I bought TTS and would like to give it a shot; AoS or 40K is fine by me, but I've never played the former.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat May 16, 2020 8:18 am

We did end up playing a game! @Karantu taught me some AOS in a Meeting Engagement where I learned the hard way how good the new Seraphon are :lol:

Meeting Engagements are fun, confirming my suspicion that the Warcry deployment rules actually work very well even in a bigger game.

I just need to work on my dice rolling technique, trying to hit the middle ground between just dropping them on the tabletop and hurling them off the edge!

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Sat May 16, 2020 8:31 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:18 am
We did end up playing a game! @Karantu taught me some AOS in a Meeting Engagement where I learned the hard way how good the new Seraphon are :lol:

Meeting Engagements are fun, confirming my suspicion that the Warcry deployment rules actually work very well even in a bigger game.

I just need to work on my dice rolling technique, trying to hit the middle ground between just dropping them on the tabletop and hurling them off the edge!
Thanks for the game. It wasn't quite the same as playing in person but it was a decent compromise for sure.

The audio kept cutting out from time to time on my end but I think that might be a problem with my connection. Other than that the game went pretty smoothly and we managed to finish a 1000 point game in around 2 hours. Unlike playing games in the real world you can set up as many tables and armies as you want and just save them which makes prep really easy.

The deployment rules are pretty cool and its such a under exploited part of wargaming so its nice to see some different takes on it.
My dice luck seems to be a lot better in the virtual world so I'm not sure what that says about me as a person.

As usual I forgot to take pictures (screenshots) during the game but here's one from the end if anyone's curious as to what things looked like.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat May 16, 2020 10:44 am

Karantu wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:31 am

Thanks for the game. It wasn't quite the same as playing in person but it was a decent compromise for sure.

The audio kept cutting out from time to time on my end but I think that might be a problem with my connection. Other than that the game went pretty smoothly and we managed to finish a 1000 point game in around 2 hours. Unlike playing games in the real world you can set up as many tables and armies as you want and just save them which makes prep really easy.
Yeah the initial setup and getting your head around how the program works takes a while but I can see repeat games being very fast. In the end I think the "physical" manipulation is the biggest time tax, hopefully that gets faster with practice.

Meeting Engagements themselves seem really quick, a sweet spot between Warcry and a full 6x4 game (1500-2000 points the norm I guess?). Really efficient f2f players might knock out two of those in a 3 hour session.
The deployment rules are pretty cool and its such a under exploited part of wargaming so its nice to see some different takes on it.
There's a really cool looking historical game called Chain of Command that does this neat minigame of moving spawn zones around before the encounter to simulate patrols running into each other. We should make our historical loving friends play it and report back :lol:

My dice luck seems to be a lot better in the virtual world so I'm not sure what that says about me as a person.
I'm happy I burned those four 2s on 5 dice for saves in a learning game, hopefully that's bad luck my Wolves and Sisters don't have to tank now :)

Thanks for the game, lots of fun!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat May 16, 2020 4:48 pm

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:44 am
There's a really cool looking historical game called Chain of Command that does this neat minigame of moving spawn zones around before the encounter to simulate patrols running into each other. We should make our historical loving friends play it and report back :lol:
If the game looks really cool, perhaps you should give it a shot yourself? I'm ok with providing the models and terrain* if you'd like to try it.

*Viral pandemic permitting of course.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

ashdevon
Warrior

Post by ashdevon » Sat May 16, 2020 6:11 pm

Great to see you guys getting into RPGs during lockdown. Did you manage to get a game going? Stay safe.
Nearly finished the pile of miniatures from 2013.
Painting mainly historical with some fantasy and Sci-Fi.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun May 17, 2020 1:45 pm

Primarch wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:48 pm
If the game looks really cool, perhaps you should give it a shot yourself? I'm ok with providing the models and terrain* if you'd like to try it.

*Viral pandemic permitting of course.
Historicals aren't my thing but cool mechanics are, so that could be fun if the crowded post-apocalypse schedule allows :lol: Thanks!

jus

Post by jus » Sun May 17, 2020 9:14 pm

ashdevon wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:11 pm
Great to see you guys getting into RPGs during lockdown. Did you manage to get a game going? Stay safe.
Hey Ash, Not just yet, but hopefully soon!

Speaking of starting a tabletop RPG, and since the state of emergency has lifted (Rejoice!) How do folks feel like meeting in person (my place probably, I live just a stone throw away from e-able Nagoya now) to start a session zero?

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue May 19, 2020 12:05 am

jus wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:14 pm
Hey Ash, Not just yet, but hopefully soon!

Speaking of starting a tabletop RPG, and since the state of emergency has lifted (Rejoice!) How do folks feel like meeting in person (my place probably, I live just a stone throw away from e-able Nagoya now) to start a session zero?
For my part I'm only planning to expand my bubble to Ichinomiya until June at least 😅

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Tue May 19, 2020 3:18 am

Same here I'm probably going to hold back on going out until things calm down properly. But after that I'm down to play TRPGs in person.

Return to “Monthly Gaming Days and Meetings”