Trip Report: Ichinomiya Gaming Club

Regular (and irregular) events in the Nagoya area can be posted up here. If you want to get your gaming fix, this is the place to look first.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Trip Report: Ichinomiya Gaming Club

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:41 pm

I drove up to Ichinomiya after work today to hook up with a little gaming club they've got there - good fun! They meet at a tiny tiny little shop called Gorakuo Plamo Juku, which is just as well as it seems there's just 4 or 5 guys in the group. :D It's mostly a plastic models store as the name suggests, but the owner has a rack of paints and such, sells the blind-buy Space Marine Heroes things, and will order in GW stuff if you ask. Nice fellow!

I forgot to get a picture while it was still light out, but there's the gist. The shop is literally like 15 feet deep.

I had a fun little 50-power game with my Scythes against the group leader's Necrons - and I have to say, the more games I play the more I fall in love with small games like this. It's still plenty tactical and a game takes less than 2 hours. I brought this:
...and to be quite honest I probably should have taken 10 Intercessors instead of the 3 Inceptors. 3 times as many wounds, almost as many shots (at lower strength to be sure), same cost. Lesson learned!

Necrons are plenty scary in this edition - hard as nails and able to put out ridiculous amounts of firepower with very respectable armor penetration. We had this set of open war cards:
Which nicely neutered my assault Hellblasters. I was player A in setup, so he was able to grab the objective with his Destroyer Lord right on turn 1, and the rest of the game was me hunting him down. Highlights were my Venerable Dread getting gaussed to death, my Ironclad almost getting gaussed to death after chainfisting the Lord and grabbing the objective, my Reivers tying up his Immortals for 3 turns in hand to hand (and his Wraiths similarly tying up my Captain) and, most impressively, my Ancient - with no invulnerable save or nothin' - surviving 30 some odd shots from a full squad of Warriors at short range with a wound to spare.

I hung around for a bit as the rest of the group trickled in after work, but had to get home before I could watch some Age of Sigmar.

Overall, a fun evening with a good group of guys, and I'm planning on dropping by from time to time - it helps that I don't have class Thursdays, their usual meeting day, so I can duck out early to drive over there. I invited them to our Nagoya meetings (which seem to generally conflict with their schedules) and NagoyaHammer, so we'll see what happens!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 16 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Trip Report: Ichinomiya Gaming Club

Post by Primarch » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Sounds like time well spent. Sorry I couldn't make it, but looking at the map and my schedule, it's just a bit too far after a full day of work. Thanks for 'Pressing the Flesh' on behalf of the NagoyaHammer group while you were there.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:09 am

Hey you made their twitter feed! Good work on the recon. It looks like a very nice shop. I'll try to drop in the next time I head up to Ichinomiya.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:25 am

I wouldn't necessarily recommend just dropping by the shop, unless you need some paints or brushes or Gundams, or live close enough that it's a viable source of a 20% discount on orders. It really is a "very very small plastic model shop where a miniatures game club is meeting" rather than what we'd think of as a gaming store.

Some nice looking stuff to gape at in their display cabinets, though.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 16 infantry

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:14 pm

Well, my granny is in Ichinomiya. Occasionally I am up there on my bicycle, -and I'll be there over the new year, so it will be worth the poke the nose in there to see what it is like. Certainly a 20% discount is good incentive to saddle up and ride out there.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Return to “Monthly Gaming Days and Meetings”