April Nagoya Games Day at e-Able Nagoya April 15th

Regular (and irregular) events in the Nagoya area can be posted up here. If you want to get your gaming fix, this is the place to look first.
Dekana
Veteran

Re: April Nagoya Games Day at e-Able Nagoya April 15th

Post by Dekana » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:48 am

@Auxryn: You betcha. Let's have a proper bloody waagh.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:01 am

@all- I'll bring a 1500 and 750 list should anyone be willing to let me jump in.
@asch- "non-competitive" is my middle name. I'm looking to play 40k, and warm-up for Naghammer, but I'd be happy to do some Necromunda too.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

asch
Veteran

Post by asch » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:39 pm

@Konrad
Thank you very much! I would write down 1500 and 750 list, too.
We are looking forward to play against you.
I suppose I will be able to bring Zone Mortis boards and accessories, along with 1000-credits-worth Goliath and Genestealer gangs.
Konrad wrote:@all- I'll bring a 1500 and 750 list should anyone be willing to let me jump in.
@asch- "non-competitive" is my middle name. I'm looking to play 40k, and warm-up for Naghammer, but I'd be happy to do some Necromunda too.

asch
Veteran

Post by asch » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:27 am

@Konrad
Thank you for two games today! Fighting against Dinork army was pretty fun.
As for Necromunda, I am sorry that my son got too frustrated to carry on. I personally found the way things went bad for my gang rather to be a fun factor.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:44 pm

asch wrote:@Konrad
Thank you for two games today! Fighting against Dinork army was pretty fun.
As for Necromunda, I am sorry that my son got too frustrated to carry on. I personally found the way things went bad for my gang rather to be a fun factor.
A pleasure. Maybe next time the Ork/SquatOrk team will manage to kill more than 6 marines before getting tabled. :cry:
Necromunda is pretty complicated. Especially for little boys at about 3 in the afternoon. The new version is not much easier than the old version it seems. I think 40K is actually easier to learn! Love the figures though. Nice paint job on yours.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Thanks to kojibear for a fun game - a learning experience! It gave me some ideas for tweaks for my list next month, that's for sure, although I think my force will always struggle against enemies that have a strong hang back and shoot element - I'll have to ponder tactics a bit. I think your army is really solid as it stands, not to mention bee-youtiful and characterful. (I'm telling you, though, velociraptors with mind control helmets!)

Also had a fun little 4-way learning game with Badruck and, er, two new guys whose forum handles I don't remember, heh.

In both games, Eisenhorn and his daemonhost buddy were good fun - not overpowered for the points you pay, and Gregor himself has definitely shifted a good chunk of his points from "is personally survivable" to "has a scary buff daemon friend". Snipers are not his friend. Cherubael is.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 16 infantry

Dekana
Veteran

Post by Dekana » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:07 pm

Thanks to Auxryn for my bloody introduction to 8th edition!

The Auran 81st guard regiment today found themselves facing down a band of mechanized orks. The mission: thin out the greenskin horde (aka kill points).
The ladies of the regiment were divided into roughly 3 parts, including an artillery company, infantry squads backed by hellhounds, and a detachment of grav-chuting stormtroopers. The orks boasted a large mob of boyz, their own company of grot-crewed cannons, lootas, trukk nobs, and burna boyz hidden in trukks.

The stormtroopers completed their mission admirably, destroying the nobs and lootas before they could cause much damage to the army. The deep strikers were wiped out by ork counterattacks, but that almost goes without saying.

The boyz were whittled down by lasgun and hellfound fire before they could get too close the front line, but the greenskin tankhunters were able to wipe out half the guard vehicles before being dismounted.
The ork cannon fire was mostly ineffective, while the guard artillery battery was able to inflict significant damage throughout the fight (mostly in the opening salvos before black smoke from burning vehicles obscured the battlefield.)

At the end of the day, the guard troops were wiped out, as were most (but not all) of the forward deployed greenskins. Finding themselves unsupported, the guard artillery company decided to pull back, leaving the battlefield to the orks.
(A narrow ork victory by 1 point.)

@Auxryn
I had a chance to look up some of the questions that came up during the battle. Some lessons learned:

1. We both had the orders wrong! The orders do have to issued at the start of the shooting phase, but they do not need to be executed immediately (the wording is usually a buff like "lasguns become rapid fire 2 until the end of the phase.") So I could have used the basilisk to fire on the burna trukk first before wasting the shots of the infantry squad on it. However, I wouldn't be able to, for example, use "Move, Move, Move!" after destroying the trukk because I didn't have anything else to shoot at - the order would have to be issued before any shooting.

2. The grot cannons don't work the way that we played them. Grots and their guns become separate units after deployment (this is explicit in the FAQ). That means if I were to shoot the grot in front of a cannon, wounds don't spill over to the cannon - that's a separate unit. The wounds would damage the grot unit, probably killing both of them because they're so weak.
I think the best way to play them is to have both grots behind the cannon so they can't be targeted, forcing the cannon's higher toughness to be used.

3. I think we figured it out at the end, but cover is much more simplified in 8th edition. Intervening models and vehicles 50% obscured behind buildings are not a thing anymore. If an infantry unit is entirely in terrain, it gets cover. If a vehicle is in terrain and 50% obscured from the shooter, it gets cover. That's it.
No intervening models granting cover, no getting cover from being on the other side of some woods.
(Line of sight does still matter, of course.)
You can't spell slaughter without laughter.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks to Kojibear and Badruck for the games yesterday, and to everyone else for the banter and camaraderie.

Overall, I think Bolt Action 40K went quite smoothly, but then I may be a smidgen biased. :lol:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Monthly Gaming Days and Meetings”