Plamojuku Events Thread

Regular (and irregular) events in the Nagoya area can be posted up here. If you want to get your gaming fix, this is the place to look first.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Plamojuku October Events

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:18 pm

Ochiai-san has spent nearly a year working hard at getting very good with his Thorns! He’s a real force to be reckoned with. And man, I keep hearing how good / interesting the Grymwatch are, but I’ve got such a big painting backlog... :oops:
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:01 pm

I think Ochiai-san's told everyone (read: Jye and myself), but the November 3rd Sundayhammer day has been moved to the 2nd, which I can't go to. :cry:
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:04 am

Of course, apparently we can never be in the same room at the same time 😰

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:47 am

Not saying you should be around more to defend your fearsome Underworlds reputation, @The Other Dave but...

Ochiai-san, Kuroi-san (sp?) and I had a couple of three way games of Underworlds and it was lots of fun. The first one I won through typical Mollog nonsense, the second I went with the backup Orc deck and Kuroi-san and I tied after a double Shardgale nuke left the board empty for everyone's last three actions of the game 😂

Played a little Warcry earlier in the day too - Kuroi-san beat my Orruks with his Flesh Eater Courts, then tied with Ochiai-san in a mad scrabble for high ground. Good times as usual at Plamojuku!

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:42 am

Man, wish I'd been able to make it, if only to witness the once-in-a-lifetime "rocks fall, everyone dies" ending. (And my fearsome Underworlds reputation, I keep trying to tell them, is about 90% based on my being the one that introduced most of them to the game, giving me a lot of easy wins as they all figured out how to play. :lol: Ochiai still sees me as the guy to beat, but fundamentally I'm Bad at Wargames while he's figured out how to wield the nighthaunt like a scalpel, heh.)

Apparently instead of SundayHammer in December they're having OnsenHammer, at a friend of Hide's cabin up in the mountains of Gifu - I *might* be able to make the drive up there. I haven't heard about the rest of this month, but the weekend of the 9th is the yearly hobby festival thing they have at Ichinomiya station so probably no gaming, and the 23rd is my wife's birthday so that's out. :lol:
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:59 am

More fun at Plamojuku today, and I managed to finally meet ToD when he swung by to pick up the cards he'll be slaughtering me with tomorrow.

Lots of people there including some first time Underworlds players - and we spotted Kaji-san, who is an Underworlds player, buying the Warcry box at the end of the day, so it looks like both games are super healthy there.

I tried Ironsoul's Condemnors and Rippa's Snarlfangs - the former were very good and very solid, the latter have potential but are trickier to use. I won one game with each, but in between Kuroi-san crushed me mercilessly with Mologg, as I think we can all agree I richly deserved 😅

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:34 am

It was good to finally see you! Glad we didn't cause the universe to end by co-existing. :lol:

I'm kind of excited for the Snarlfangs - it looks like they'll be a sort of a finesse-y aggro warband. My current goal is to git gud with the Mournflight, so the cards from Rippa and the gift pack are mostly going to shore up my demo Magore deck, as losing the season 1 cards left them with a bit of a dearth of nice aggro-oriented end phase objectives.

Did you happen to catch when the December plamojuku days will be? All I know about for sure is onsenhammer.
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: Plamojuku Events Thread

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:40 pm

No idea what's happening after Onsenhammer, sorry!

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:11 am

Another good day of gaming out at Plamojuku!

In the morning Dave and I kicked off our Warcry campaigns, trading wins in two games. I was lucky to take the first, the Gloomspite goblins are very strong, with lots of board control and the ability to put out some serious damage. The second game we pulled the same trap on each other's Hammers but goblin quality won out!

I went on to play a third campaign game, my first convergance, against Kuroi-san's Nighthaunt. I got very lucky and got a move buffing twist AND a triple 6 in the first turn, meaning the normally sluggish Ironjawz were rocketing around with 10" moves. Kuroi-san put up a stubborn defence but it was a tough ask to defend six objectives with Orks all over them.

Meanwhile Dave was going on a tear with Underworlds - I think he was undefeated all day. I ended up scraping wins in a couple of three player Underworlds games myself, mostly through Ironsoul's Condemners loving a target rich environment where nobody can quite one-shot them.
Last edited by Jye Nicolson on Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:00 pm

Yup, 3 and 0 for me, 2 of them with Magore's, proving that season 1 warbands can still bring the pain (admittedly, Magore's probably being one of the stronger season 1 warbands, but still). I'm not sure how they'd do against a really strongly tuned deck, but on the other hand I made some improvements of my own after today's games.

WarCry was fun too. I'd heard it described recently somewhere as sort of like "joining a larger game halfway through," just when things are getting to an exciting tipping point, but with the very real possibility that the matchup, board state, or objectives make one player's job a bit more difficult. Asymmetric scenarios are my thing anyway, but I like that way of thinking about it. Hopefully I'll be able to do my first convergence at the Nagoya games day this month.
-----

Return to “Monthly Gaming Days and Meetings”