Plamojuku Events Thread

Regular (and irregular) events in the Nagoya area can be posted up here. If you want to get your gaming fix, this is the place to look first.
Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: Plamojuku Events Thread

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:53 pm

Westernhammer was on yesterday and very busy - lots of people showed up, even Dave on a shopping trip :D

I took the Sacrosanct and Warrior Chambers out for a spin in Warcry. Went 1w/1l with Sacrosanct vs Ochiai-san's Iron Golems and Cypher Lords, and as you'd probably expect it was the Cypher Lords that did me in, I just didn't have the mobility to stop them running off with treasure, and my ranged threat depended on a triple I didn't have. Conversely defending treasure against the Iron Golems I had all the time in the world while they lumbered in, just as slow as I was (that Ogre Breacher though!).

Warrior Chamber seems like they have better individual tools, but not in the Start Collecting box and only four of them in a list. I won that game mostly through the poor Golems having to truck it across the board and getting tempted into fighting when they should have been running. Even then I only won on the strength of somebody who could fly and the poor old golems being half an inch from where they needed to be.

Also won a game with Ironjawz vs Golems, they love a standup fight.

Underworlds was going all day and I snuck a game in at the end vs Kawamura-san's new Ogre deck. Kawamura-san is relatively new to the game but a canny player who is dangerous even with a limited toolset. I had a Cursebreaker deck deeply informed by the current meta, but I still haven't cracked how to properly drive them, and magic dice hate me. So I think it could have easily gone either way, but I played very cagey and used a board with three blocked hexes - this made Kawamura-san come to me, separating the ogre and cat from their Gnoblar support crew, and I was able to edge out a win.

Once again Plamojuku Westernhammer is just the most AoS you can play without actually playing AoS, and a ton of fun.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:19 am

Turns out I was lying about the "Not actually playing AoS" bit, as Kuroi-san and Oshou-san (whom you folks may remember from last month's Nagoya day) fired up a 2000 point Tzeentch vs Bone Reapers battle today, which ended in an epic draw after four hours! Really handsome armies and seemed like a hell of a game.

Meanwhile a few more of us had shown up for Underworlds and Warcry - sadly while Dave made it his dice did not, replaced by treacherous demon changelings that invariably rolled the exact opposite of what he needed. Fireman-san (whose real name I've forgotten because I suck, but as usual I remember his online handle) had shiny new dice from a Warhammer World trip, but they betrayed him any time he wasn't rolling against Dave.

(I won a few games I did not deserve to, I'm saying)

Flooding the board with Plague Monks worked well in Warcry - not really surprising, but the mission suited it. I played a fairly meta deck in Underworlds - Cursebreakers - so while there's subtleties I've yet to grasp it largely ran itself. My luck ran out eventually with Sacrosanct Chamber in Warcry, I had the best of the fighting but Fireman-san kept the pressure on the objective and I couldn't accumulate enough ritual points before the bell sounded.

Good times as usual!

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:28 pm

I swear, when I asked Fireman “are you sure that attack doesn’t do 3 damage?” (going for black humor because the game had not been going my way and a 2-damage attack not one-shotting a banshee seemed lucky in that light) I did not expect him to say “oh, actually, yes it does, thanks”. It was that kind of day. :? Apologies if some salt showed through, heh.

I do think that skaven deck has promise though - it’s no meta-buster but it seems to make good use of combos, which can be tricky for non-regenerating warbands on account of what you need to invest in a single fighter, and the potential of doing like 10 damage to each adjacent fighter is just too hilarious to pass up, overkill though it may be.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:38 pm

Yeah I said all that stuff about the importance of one shotting elite fighters but when a little Reaver dude is doing it from range and a plucky rat is doing it in AOE...😰

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:23 am

We played out at Plamojuku again today!

I had a good run with Warcry, losing a convergence to Dave but otherwise generally having things go my way. My Sacrosanct are only of middling strength but they are tough and if you have to move in on them you'll have a bad time. I also busted out the cute little rat horde (is using Plague Monks now on the nose?) and got a objective control mission when poor Kaji-san had just 5 elite DoK models, so that was a bit of a forgone conclusion.

Underworlds wise I busted out a straight up netdeck and so can't take much credit for my wins. Dave was on a tear though with his much more creative decks, though again winning so much with Nurgle might be a trifle gauche :p

Barring full lockdown I think we'll still be doing a fair bit of this, it's a small space but not many people, and you don't need to go through crowds to get there.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:23 am

Yeah, I had a good few matches of Underworlds - my magic-heavy Nurgle deck is a bit like "what if Cursebreakers but with only one mage," and has its strong points, but a canny opponent could probably neutralize Fecula without *too* much trouble. I was pleased it did so well against a well-played Grymwatch deck, though. My win with Mollog was against an opponent who hadn't faced Mollog, which almost doesn't count, but it was nice to see that season 3 Mollog with a Championship deck is still Mollog.

WarCry was fun - I'm almost happy just sitting on my convergence gaining experience and territory, heh. Keeping half a goblin warband alive isn't trivial! I do think I want to get them through their campaign before I really get into another warband, though.

Knock on wood the small group size of plamojuku will let us keep going for a bit.
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:03 pm

The Other Dave wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:23 am
Knock on wood the small group size of plamojuku will let us keep going for a bit.
Narrator voice: It did not. However it did let us start up again a bit sooner!

We rolled some dice out at Ichinomiya yesterday, four of us rotating between Warcry and Underworlds. I kept poor Dave on his convergence again in Warcry (goblins are such a strong team, but being stuck with an effective loss condition of "any five goblins die" is a struggle), but then fell to his expertly piloted Mournflight in Underworlds. I also managed to sneak in several games with Skaven in Warcry, they are *very* good owing to their roster depth giving them excellent tools at all point levels.

There's another game day on this Saturday so hopefully I should be able to keep pushing along my Warcry quests and roll a few more crits in Underworlds. Thinking pretty seriously about temporarily retiring the Cursebreakers, the net deck I tried is just too good, but I don't have a lot of painted options to replace them with (Molog is my best looking team, but he's just mean :lol: )

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:28 am

I'm not sure a Beastgrave Mollog is any meaner than netdeck Cursebreakers, heh. Maybe 85%-90% as mean. :D

I mentioned it to you, but Hide-san tentatively suggested a "How Dave Does Contrast" painting workshop day - that might be an impetus to get another warband or two painted up!
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:35 am

That'd be awesome. I'd be hoping the Witch Elves or Ironjawz beat the buzzer on that one, but if not I still have plenty of unpainted Beastgrave teams.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:44 pm

Another Plamojuku day today, a little light on numbers (still spinning back up slowly), but Ochiai-san, Kawamura-san and myself had a good time.

Everything 3 players meant we only got four games in, and they were a mess tactically speaking but great fun. My Condemnors somehow scraped out two wins in Underworlds, even in a game where the action was actively running away from me to the far board and we had to hoof it further than Condemnors have ever hoofed before. My Skaven were less lucky in Warcry (mostly because I entrusted a tiny rat with the task of living through a whole turn in front of Kharadon guns), but my Sancrosanct did better and took the final game.

I'm usually down on the Sacrosanct Chamber's strength despite quite enjoying them (they just don't have the sheer nonsense of the Vanguard), but any game that relies on flat numbers of kills is pretty good for them. We often say Toughness doesn't matter in Warcry due to crits, but 20 HP protected by 5 toughness needs a lot of crits to get through, and if they're popping weaker opponents in between the multiple actions requiring to kill them, it can be hard to catch up.

That's probably it for this month, but I expect we'll be back there first Sunday of July.

Return to “Monthly Gaming Days and Meetings”