Nagoya December Games Day: 12/27 at e-able Nagoya

Regular (and irregular) events in the Nagoya area can be posted up here. If you want to get your gaming fix, this is the place to look first.
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Nagoya December Games Day: 12/27 at e-able Nagoya

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:13 am

I’m toying with the idea of coming up to this. Tis the season to see friends, after all (and hopefully not catch orrible plagues in the big city :roll: )

If I did come up, would anyone be available for some Underworlds or Magic?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:21 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:13 am
I’m toying with the idea of coming up to this. Tis the season to see friends, after all (and hopefully not catch orrible plagues in the big city :roll: )

I can bring Underworlds along, sure!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:08 am

The Other Dave wrote: I can bring Underworlds along, sure!
Sweet! It’ll be good to see folks. It’s been ages. Plus, I’m actually quite keen to play underworlds, and for a while there my mojo was gone completely. It’s a date :D

As for my other game of choice, is anyone up for some MtG? I have a bunch of commander decks if anyone fancies a game.

OZMS2Tallgeese
Warrior

Post by OZMS2Tallgeese » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:03 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:13 am

I'd be happy to do underworlds too in the afternoonish.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:27 am

@me_in_japan I'd love to play some Commander, but I'll probably only be available in the morning. Would that work for you?
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:31 pm

I’d be very keen to play commander in the morning, and underworlds in the afternoon, if that suits everyone else (Dave, Tallgeese and Grant). Would that be ok for you?

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:32 pm

me_in_japan wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:31 pm
I’d be very keen to play commander in the morning, and underworlds in the afternoon, if that suits everyone else (Dave, Tallgeese and Grant). Would that be ok for you?
That’s perfect for me.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

OZMS2Tallgeese
Warrior

Post by OZMS2Tallgeese » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:30 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:31 pm
Sure. Depending on my game with Jye, I might be a little late in joining you guys but we'll see.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:18 am

OZMS2Tallgeese wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:30 am

Sure. Depending on my game with Jye, I might be a little late in joining you guys but we'll see.
I'll bring an Underworlds team too and we can be in the same boat for the afternoon!

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:19 pm

@OZMS2Tallgeese - This is the list I'm planning on bringing for our game:

HQ

Logan Grimnar on Stormrider - Tough, hits hard, but doesn't get character protection. Advance + Charge. Chapter Master (Captain rerolls all the time, 1 unit gets full rerolls). 9" Auras and can give a autopass morale aura

Primaris Chaplain on Bike: Advance and Charge (turns into an aura after she makes a charge, advance and charge in 6", fall back and charge for the cavalry), Armour of Russ (new wording, makes target ineligible to fight until all Space Wolves have fought), ridiculous threat range, charge/fight bonus litanies

Wolf Guard Battle Leader on Thunderwolf: Lieutenant aura, Teeth of Terra (decent melee weapon). Advance and Charge.

Troops

Infiltrator Squad x 2: Unit of 5. Deploy anywhere on board up to 9" from enemy deployment zone/units, block deployment within 12", take no damage from first failed save each turn

Incursor Squad: Unit of 5. Deploy anywhere on board up to 9" from enemy deployment zone/units, cheaper than Infiltrators

Elites

Hounds of Morkai: Unit of 5. Reivers with: Ignore Look Out Sir for psykers, hit/damage bonus vs psykers, -1 to psychic tests within 18", -2 to psychic tests within 6", 4+++ during psychic phase. Still not sure they're actually good but if you don't take them vs 1K Sons you will never take them.

Bladeguard Veterans: Unit of 5, they get the Wolf Guard keyword but it doesn't really do much. Volkite pistol on sarge.

Judiciar: Note in the new codex their magic hour glass has the same wording as Armour of Russ, so you can't even use the interrupt strategem to have the target fight.

Wolf Guard: Unit of 5, Jump Packs, all with Storm Shields, mix of thunder hammers and power fists, plus that one lightning claw (won't proxy).

Fast Attack

Fenrisian Wolves: Advance and Charge. They are real cheap and I already painted them 🤷‍♀️

Thunderwolf Cavalry x 2: Unit of 5. Advance and charge. Tough, lots of extra attacks from the wolves themselves. Mix of Thunder Hammers and Power Fists, all with Storm Shields.

Stuff to look out for:

Space Wolves lost the combos that made their characters such ridiculous solo killing machines, instead they rely on the Elites & Fast Attack buffed by characters to do the work now. Most of the actual threat in this list comes from the Thunderwolf Cavalry and Wolf Guard, if you kill them I will lose control of the battle.

Everything in the army except the Fenrisian Wolves can now Heroically Intervene. The characters lost their ability to intervene 6", but the strat that allows any unit to intervene 6" is still in and is free for characters. You should especially make sure not to end a charge phase within 6" of either the Chaplain or the Judiciar, as they will intervene in and force you to fight last (if you don't have a choice use multiple units). I sprung the Heroic Intervention + Armor of Russ combo on Mogus and Karantu in TTS without making them aware of the danger they were in, and I ended up feeling like a cheap Yu-Gi-Oh villain; don't let it happen to you!

The threat range on the Chaplain is huge (32" max, maybe 27" reliably) and helps me land charges with the cavalry in various ways. If you want to stay out of melee you'll need either a really wide berth or to screen effectively. Note the bike, sleigh and Thunderwolves don't benefit from breachable terrain and have to go around walls.

I get a strategy to Deny the Witch, so watch out if you have a low cast roll and I have CP.

Space Wolves still have the strat to ignore to hit penalties, and it now works for charge penalties too.

My anti-1K Sons strat is full rerolls for hit and wound in melee.

I have multiple strats to put a unit into Assault Doctrine (though I think RAW I don't get the super doctrine with the cheap one), easy access to wound bonuses, rerolls etc. in melee. Short version if I really want to blow all my CP I can make a unit incredibly dangerous in melee turn 1 or 2. Turn 2 is the danger as I'm assuming you won't give me a good charge target for the TWC or Wolf Guard turn 1. From Turn 3 of course everything is very dangerous.

Edge case but the Judiciar and the Wolf Guard Battle Leader can use a strat to get one of the special warlord trait auras mid-game if they satisfy its requirements; this is probably giving a 6+++ aura if you wound one of them and I have lots of CP for some reason.

I still have all the Marine strats though they are a little different now - fight on death for characters only works if they haven't fought already, Transhuman Physiology only works on Primaris (so those Bladeguard, Reivers and that Chaplain should be very annoying to kill), Reivers can turn off Objective Secured. I don't generate CP for killing characters any more so I can't really afford to do all that plus all the insane melee buffs I want.

I will probably take Warrior Pride (3 VP if 2 units are in engagement or charged), Abhor the Witch and whatever the mission secondary is. I think this will make it very tough for you to deny me secondary points, but the things you'll need to do (stay out of melee, don't have psykers die, do the mission) will definitely win you the game if you can pull them off so 🤷‍♀️

Good luck and I'll try to let you know if anything changes before the day.

Return to “Monthly Gaming Days and Meetings”