April Nagoya Games Day - 4/25 in Kamimaezu

Regular (and irregular) events in the Nagoya area can be posted up here. If you want to get your gaming fix, this is the place to look first.
Karantu
Champion

Re: April Nagoya Games Day - 4/25 in Kamimaezu

Post by Karantu » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:38 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:33 pm
Are you planning on only fielding IG (and maybe Knights and Titans)? I'd like to check which factions I need to bring cards for.
So far I've packed CSM, IG and Knights. There aren't any Titan or Chaos Knight cards unfortunately.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:47 am

Karantu wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:38 am
The Other Dave wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:33 pm
Are you planning on only fielding IG (and maybe Knights and Titans)? I'd like to check which factions I need to bring cards for.
So far I've packed CSM, IG and Knights. There aren't any Titan or Chaos Knight cards unfortunately.
IG and a couple Knights, yes!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:56 pm

Irongutsman wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:00 am
Would love a game of Age of Sigmar this weekend. I get the stuff for my yhetee army this week so would be good to play it in real life after so many TTS games. 2k if possible, but cool if just want to do a smaller point game. Cheers
If you don't get any bites in eigo I saw someone tweeting in 日本語 that they'll be bringing along 1500 pts for AOS.

Scubi
Rookie

Post by Scubi » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:10 am

1st (of many hopefully!) game day down. Thanks to everyone for being super friendly and sharing your knowledge! I really enjoyed playing the skirmish game and learning by playing.

I realized I have a LOT to learn. Ha

I’ll see you at the next one! (Hopefully with some painted up Necrons!)
Miniatures painted in 2021:
Brother Drago (Blood Angels): 1, Warriors (Necrons): 3

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:31 am

Great game day folks! Thanks for the fun games and chatter as always.

Big thanks to Matt who after weathering the ridiculous strength of the Sisters all morning stepped up to do it again in the afternoon while teaching the new edition!

Campaign wise, I'll post properly later but the short version is it was real, real good for the Imperium/Defenders. I'll have to get my Drukhari and Nurgle forces together to help turn the tide back the other way.

I think the best emergent narrative came from the non-40k games - Alpha Legion seemingly lost a titanic (literally) field battle but their infiltrators were successful in a brutal skirmish with Inquisition forces - surely that was their real objective all along? With whatever secrets Alpha Legion came away with, this may be a phyrric victory for the Imperium indeed.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:07 am

Karantu and I had a really good game of Apocalypse - to be perfectly honest, much more fun and faster-moving than I thought it would be! We did 500 power (!) using 6mm minis and just converting inches to cm for measuring, so if it would have been 40K we would have needed a 10' x 15' table to get the same space for maneuver and such. It worked well, although we did learn that superheavy tanks are real good while powerful characters seem a bit lackluster - so my Guard force with lots of the former didn't have too much trouble with his Alpha Legion with lots of the latter.

I think I still prefer Epic for its battlefield friction / command and control elements, and the way it treats the detachment as the smallest game element rather than the 40K "squad" - for example, he had a unit of 4 predators that I had to target individually even though they were intuitively a single unit. But! Still a lot of fun, and I'd play it again.
-----

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:55 pm

Agreed, the game went really well even with the slight oddities in the rules. Being able to play a game of that scale in a reasonable amount of time was pretty satisfying for sure. Whatever logic I used while list building didn't seem to work out but I'm pretty sure I could do better next time. I'd also be interested in trying actual epic out sometime too.

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:46 am

It looks very interesting and the minis looked great. How long did the game actually take?
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:05 am

I'm pretty sure it was less than 4 hours including set up, even with us constantly looking up the rules. We got to the end of turn 4 and decided to end it there.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:16 am

Karantu wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:55 pm
I'd also be interested in trying actual epic out sometime too.
Definitely, it'd be interesting to do a compare and contrast while the game's still fresh in our minds. Maybe June?
-----

Return to “Monthly Gaming Days and Meetings”