April Nagoya Games Day - 4/24 in Kamimaezu

Regular (and irregular) events in the Nagoya area can be posted up here. If you want to get your gaming fix, this is the place to look first.
Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: April Nagoya Games Day - 4/24 in Kamimaezu

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:24 pm

Welcome back! We'd be overjoyed to show you some 9th Ed 40k - I'll make sure to bring a Combat Patrol (25PL/500pts) or Incursion (50PL/1000pts) force that would be suitable for an intro game, and I'm sure everyone else will also have small forces good for it.

I haven't seen Bolt Action for a while but I bet by mentioning it you'll have conjured it forth 😀

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:00 pm

@job Welcome back! :D
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:06 pm

@Job - Welcome back. If I attend this month I will be playing Malifaux, but if you are sticking around in Nagoya I'm sure we can sort out some Bolt Action. I haven't played in ages, but I started playing Steel Division 2 on the PC and that has me amped up for some WW2 wargaming action.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:06 pm

@ Grantholomeu: Thanks, man. Good to be back.
@ Primarch: I look forward to getting back into the swing of BA and other historics.
@ Jye: Can I take you up on your offer? I’d like to get my Ad Mech up and running. If the differences aren’t too big between 8th and 9th, maybe we can go for 1k?
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:41 pm

job wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:06 pm
@ Jye: Can I take you up on your offer? I’d like to get my Ad Mech up and running. If the differences aren’t too big between 8th and 9th, maybe we can go for 1k?
The basics are pretty similar, you should find most of your skills are transferable. The most impactful difference is terrain - concealing terrain blocks line of sight *through* it but not into it, and dense cover gives -1 to hit if shooting through it, which counteracts the increased lethality of shooting. There's a bunch of cleanup stuff (melee is simpler, command reroll strat can only be used on certain rolls, Overwatch is a strat), and force organisation is different - but for 1K you probably just want a batallion or a patrol which are straightforward.

AdMech are a powerful and complex book with a lot of overlapping buffs but since you know the game itself you should be able to jump back into them without much trouble.

I will probably start with Imperial Fists and we'll see how we go. We might fit a couple of games into the morning session but if not no problem.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:13 am

Thanks for a quick primer-cliff notes there. I may end up bringing CSM instead as I have their (8th edition) codex available. I have a rough outline what Ad mech does but maybe that will have to wait until next time after I can get hold of their codex (still trying to figure how to best get hold of the 40k rules now that they’ve stopped selling new publications through the Apple Store).
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:59 pm

job wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:13 am
Thanks for a quick primer-cliff notes there. I may end up bringing CSM instead as I have their (8th edition) codex available. I have a rough outline what Ad mech does but maybe that will have to wait until next time after I can get hold of their codex (still trying to figure how to best get hold of the 40k rules now that they’ve stopped selling new publications through the Apple Store).
https://wahapedia.ru/ should pretty much have you covered for everything.

Also if you're planning to bring some Chaos Marines I might being a little bit of Imperial Guard - they're both pretty balanced and fun against each other!

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:21 am

Yeah I'm not going to encourage piracy, but realistically you want to put your army together with BattleScribe and Wahapedia is the most convenient reference. CSM's most up to date rules I *think* is the combo of their 8th Codex + Book of Fire (which I'll have with me on the day in case it matters, but it probably won't), but there's a lot of sources that have had something for them and it's easiest to just use the internet resources, especially while you're waiting for the 9th edition Codex to clean everything up.

Don't stress too much though, the Imperial Fists and Imperial Guard are pretty straightforward opponents, it should be some good honest fights over objectives regardless :lol:

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:41 am

@ Jye, Mattb: Ah, Wahaphedia. I forgot about that resource. I found it was a much better reference for quickly looking up rules than a digital copy, especially when wondering something on the morning commute or looking up an obscure rule in some or other 40k compendium. But I though it had its limitations as you can count on it be entirely exact or up-to-date.

I may put in for an order for a full rulebook and codex. I just hate the ridiculous size of the book. (Do they expect us to use it as a coffee table book? (I don’t think my wife’s friends would care much for it.)

@ Mattb: Would you like to play a 1k game in the afternoon? I will say my list is a little left field. I play the C and not so much the SM in CSM.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:51 am

I have noticed that the Power points art not accurate on Wahapedia, at least for some of the units I have looked up but there is a free Crusade builder on the GW community site that can fix that.
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Return to “Monthly Gaming Days and Meetings”