August Ichinomiya Underworlds Day: 8/12

Regular (and irregular) events in the Nagoya area can be posted up here. If you want to get your gaming fix, this is the place to look first.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

August Ichinomiya Underworlds Day: 8/12

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:50 am

I guess I ought to make threads for these too, just in case, since we apparently almost missed learning we have a new UW player locally! :lol: On the off chance there are any Warhammer Underworlds-playing lurkers I don't know yet, hello! Welcome!

We meet monthly, generally on the 2nd Saturday of the month, at the Ichinomiya Sports Bunka Center, less than a 10-minute walk from Ichinomiya station, plus the venue has parking if you're a car person. We have the room from 9 to 4, and the cost is 500 yen for the day (provided I actually remember to ask people to pay). This month will be the 12th, in the tatami rooms up on the 3rd floor. (To help with signposting: The bulletin board in the lobby lists us as ボードゲームの会 and the rooms are called 日本間 in Japanese.) Drop-ins are welcome, and if you're a lapsed or curious player just let me know and I can very very easily loan you a warband and deck to see how the game plays.

Play is about 70% Rivals / 30% Nemesis (we're slowly but surely edging into the latter, but we have new-to-the-game members joining and casual members dropping in and out fairly regularly). We mostly play in Japanese, but everyone is extremely chill about language barriers.

I also update the group's twitter (at ichinomiya underscore whu) with the schedule each month if that's your preferred online info-getting method.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: August Ichinomiya Underworlds Day: 8/12

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:28 am

I will be there! I will be playing Rivals as I'll be bringing at least two teams I haven't played before and want to be able to hotswap decks as easily as possible. Zero problems playing against Nemesis of course.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:35 pm

I actually had the slightly-mad idea of sleeving up all 7 non-bad Rivals decks, but I actually don't have enough sleeves and that seems like a kind of silly thing to go buy more for. :lol: Plus the surprise new Rivals deck is up for pre-order this weekend, which means it might arrive in time to play on the 12th if Yuta at Ring-tail puts it in the mail a bit early.

I'll have my Crimson Court Seismic Shock Nemesis deck along (it did fine last month, except against Domitan's using SS, which is probably a bit overtuned ATM), and the next two warbands in my "play everything" rotation (Madmob and Kainan's) and a universal deck or two for Rivals play.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:15 am

We had a nice turnout today, 7 people altogether! My lessons learned:

Kainan's reapers using the straight Voidcursed rivals deck is a good fit - part of it may have been playing someone new, and part of it getting a couple lucky curse spreads, but it seems like it's potentially quite good. I'd thought Voidcursed would be a "thematic but not competitive" deck, but I reckon it has legs, for some warbands anyway. (Kainan's having good fighter cards does help.)
Headkrakka's using the straight Fearsome Fortress rivals deck is likewise good, provided you aren't facing someone who doesn't want or need to come up and meet you mid-field (*shakes fist at Jye's Pandemonium*).

Speaking of, that was a very good game - although both of us missing some clutch dice rolls probably helped keep it nail-biting. :lol:
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:17 am

Hanging back with Static Shock did me no favours though 😅

The Pandemonium are great with their straight Rivals deck, and I did unexpectedly well with the Vampires. My main tip: roll crits. Roll lots of crits.

Great day and was good to see new folks learning the game, though at least one of them had unbelievably cursed dice...

Return to “Monthly Gaming Days and Meetings”