Crystal Brush Awards

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Crystal Brush Awards

Post by Primarch » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:02 pm

Yes,

Dont waste your time, you'll need a year or two to get a model painted well enough to win.

Going to Adepticon would be cool though.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:58 am

Rather negative...

I meant advies about how to paint better... and what kind of modeling needs to be done are scratch builds OK of does it have to be a model from certain makers...
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:18 am

me_in_japan wrote:Well, blimey.

CMON have just announced a painting contest that will widdle all over the Golden Daemons.
Well that doesn't take much. The GD is the most highly regarded GW miniatures painting event. The Europeans have a couple of big comps that are much more highly regarded than the GD's. Gold Demon isn't a painting comp, it's a GW marketing gimmick.

@Badruck - As for getting ready, you could do it IF you devoted all your time from now to then building up your skills AND set aside enough time to actually get the mini painted. As for which model/mini, I would go with one of the bigger ones, 54mm, as they offer more chance to really show off skills and technique.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:05 pm

Rather negative...

I meant advies about how to paint better... and what kind of modeling needs to be done are scratch builds OK of does it have to be a model from certain makers...
yon question suggests that you havent spent a lot of time on CMON. I really recommend that you do (not cos you need to, just cos its dang interesting). I will save you a wee bit of time and say:

you can scratch build a model, or you can buy a model from any, and I mean any, miniatures company currently or previously in prodcuction.

The only requirement for scoring well on CMON (and, by extension, the awards) is to be really, really good at painting. If youre also really, really good at modelling, then that helps, but it's the painting that'll score you the big points.

As spev says, a 54mm mini is easier to paint, but the judges will be pro painters, and will expect greater things from larger models. You may already know about stuff like this, but NMM (or at least properly done metalics), OSL, some neat freehand, proper zenithal lighting, careful composition and layout, storytelling, character, wet blending, ability to glaze properly, and very, very carefully chosen colours would be the bare minimum for making the first cut. After that, I dunno.

If you dont already know about stuff like the above, then 1) learning what it all means and then 2) learning how to do it would be my advice towards making you a better painter. Ive managed step 1. Am currently working on step 2. I may be some time...

The Europeans have a couple of big comps that are much more highly regarded than the GD's.
really? what are they? I know that the GDs are a GW marketing gimmick, but they are also very highly regarded, not because of GW, but because they attract the best artists. They do so because winning a GD allows you to charge more for your commisions. Its a purely financial thing for the artists, but the fact is that if you want to win a GD you have to be damn good, cos everybody wants one. Usually (Im sure there are wierdy anomalies out there, but generally, recent GD winners have been bloody impressive, even by CMON standards.)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Mate, I tried to find them but couldn't find the names. They are shows the focus on military/historical models and the stuff that you see there is mind bowing! Also, Gen-Con and Adepti-con are getting more love in the States because tof the way the past U.S GD's have been run.

You are right about the financial side of it too. Getting a commision mini done by a GD winner is well pricey!! At the same time, it really depends on which GD they win. The British GD attracts the best painters from everywhere. The French/Spanish GD's have the top guys there putting in their "A" game for national pride. The North American GD pales in comparison to what the Europeans are producing.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:34 pm

agreed. The yankee GD is a bit meh, and everybody knows it. The european ones tend to have better painted, and more "arty" minis (imho) whereas the UK is the original, so it has the most clout, altho I reckon the minis tend to look rather generic GW.

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:36 pm

all very helpful stuff lads.. I have not seen any ork winners these days I would like to show them just how much the orks deserve a win...
MIJ
MIJ

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:55 am

@Badruck: As a friend (I can't believe I just wrote that :D ) I have to say mate that you are kidding yourself if you think you have a shot at this. I know that sounds harsh and you'll probably get all grumpy about it but it's the truth Ruth mm(_ _)mm Humblest apologies and all that.

You are quite a good painter, but not even close to being in the same league as the top guys (and gals). You would need a lot more practice. A couple of years (at the barest minimum) of blood, sweat and tears (and Devlan Mud :D ) is what is required. It seems a lot of these folks, do this for a living, and live only to paint, not even gaming with their minis. You would have a far better chance of winning a GT or another major tourney than this mate.

If you really just wanna improve your skills, read the articles on CMON and various other sites, get some of those DVDs and knuckle down for the next few years. Then, and only then, a Jedi will you be :)

Once again, sorry to be such a downer but a real mate tells their mates when they are being less than realistic.
Morituri nolumus mori!

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:52 am

*pikey* :oops: seconded :oops:

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:03 pm

Well I feel it may take the rest of my life to do this but I am keen I want to be a better painter so enough of this ORKS IS STOOPID AND CANT READ RUULZ about cant win so do not try all of your helpful advice is very much welcome the negative stuff well that is your opinion keep it to your self :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: as for the GT I reckon that would not be to hard either... hehheh :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MIJ
MIJ

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”