Thought provoking diorama.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Thought provoking diorama.

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:42 am

Also, to engage in the discussion:
Mike the Pike wrote:Is it the medium or the content which offends? Why is sexual violence depicted in movies acceptable (as art and message) but not in Miniature?
I'll reiterate that I'm not offended as such, but it's definitely the content that hits my squick buttons. I don't particularly like rape (among other things - torture is well outside my comfort zone too) in any kind of media.

Hmm, that needs a meaning clarification note, I reckon. I mean "I don't like" purely as in "it's not something I enjoy," and not as in "I don't think it should exist." Ah, the joys of the ambiguity of the English language.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:12 am

Mike the Pike wrote:Random thoughts...

Then again, is it any worse than Francisco Goya's "Horrors of War" series? Damien Hirst's sheep etc etc?

I think that the combination of sex and violence is what puts most people off, but again,the same sort of thing (actually even more graphic) can be seen in any number of 'good' war movies.

Is it the medium or the content which offends? Why is sexual violence depicted in movies acceptable (as art and message) but not in Miniature?

Yet, it's obviously not a table top piece, it's meant as an artistic diorama. Mind you none of his other stuff even comes close to being so thought provoking.

P.P.S. Is the artist even a male? Would it change perspectives if it were created by a woman?
The Pike already said most everything that was passing through my mind. (Except for the "is the artist even male" bit. Food for thought there. A couple other comments-
This is not an artwork depicting gratuitous sexual violence for the sake of getting a pervy hard on. (I'd put that Wet Nurse piece in that category.) It's telling a war story. No different than any hundred movies. Seeing that scene depicted in "toys" with such technical mastery is the shocking part.
The part that actually frightened me, how the stern, grim 40K expressions of the models faces translated the cold brutality of rape so perfectly. I've never had a diorama make me think like this one.
Should do us all good to be reminded that in the real world there are no Space Marines or Tyranids. There is no glory in real war, just senseless waste and pain and death. There are no monsters but those that we become ourselves.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:39 am

Konrad wrote:

The part that actually frightened me, how the stern, grim 40K expressions of the models faces translated the cold brutality of rape so perfectly.
This is what caught my eye too.One of them appears to be leering, others are just looking plain old evil. Captures the feelings exactly.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:47 am

I had assumed the heads were conversions. They are, right?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:27 pm

me_in_japan wrote:I had assumed the heads were conversions. They are, right?
I dont think so. They look very close if they are.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kris
Rookie

Post by kris » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:22 pm

To me, the fact that it has inspires so much discussion is what makes it art.
As fun as table top gaming is, how often does it really inspire you to question your values and perceptions and to try and share them with other gamers? That for me moves miniatures from merely entrainment into he realm of art. ;)

edit: corrected a typo
Last edited by kris on Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:24 pm

^ that is pretty much exactly what I was trying to say, only kris managed it far more concisely. :oops:
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:27 pm

me_in_japan wrote:^ that is pretty much exactly what I was trying to say, only kris managed it far more concisely. :oops:
Thats more down to your rather wordy nature to be honest.

Regardless, art or not, its not the kind of thing you'd want on your shelf on display when your parents in law came over for a visit. Then it goes from "our daughter's geeky husband" to "pushing her to divorce that filthy beast."
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:37 pm

me_in_japan wrote:^ that is pretty much exactly what I was trying to say, only kris managed it far more concisely. :oops:
take a lesson there man keep it simple...
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:49 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote:
take a lesson there man keep it simple...
I enjoy reading M_i_J' s longer posts. Actually posting something intersting and well thought out adds a lot to the thread. Short posts, especially those that just say "I agree" or some such are really unneccesary. Whilst M_i_J sometimes takes a long time to make his point, you can guarantee that there is a point and that he will provide evidence or back up his claims in some way.

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”