Any thoughts?

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Any thoughts?

Post by Primarch » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:48 am

Well, after much um-ing and ah-ing (and sitting on my backside-ing), I decided on which head to use for Rogal Dorn.
The head comes from the Dark Angels upgrade sprue. The crew cut and stern disapproving glare seemed perfect for the most stubborn of the Primarchs.
Here is another shot of the completed model.
He's sitting in front of my PC whilst I try to figure out how I am going to do all the yellow armour in a way that makes the model look as awesome as it should....maybe I can bribe M_i_J into painting another primarch for me. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:06 am

no :|
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:01 pm

I hate to say it mate but it look like the head is too big now... maybe because of the difference in color...
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:31 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote:I hate to say it mate but it look like the head is too big now... maybe because of the difference in color...
The difference between the plastic and the metal is a bit wierd. I'll try undercoating it and see if that makes it look better.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:05 pm

good luck :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:15 am

IMHO Looks OK to m. Better than the post-capture-by-new-guinean-head-hunters look on the original anyway.
Morituri nolumus mori!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:35 am

Mike the Pike wrote:IMHO Looks OK to m. Better than the post-capture-by-new-guinean-head-hunters look on the original anyway.
Thanks.

Now, how to paint yellow nicely..... :?

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:49 am

Primarch wrote:
Mike the Pike wrote:IMHO Looks OK to m. Better than the post-capture-by-new-guinean-head-hunters look on the original anyway.
Thanks.

FWIW, I've found that GW's Golden Yellow produces a very nice, warm yellow color with only a couple of thin coats. It's what I'm using for my Epic Iyanden Eldar, which you've seen.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:52 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Primarch wrote:
Thanks.

FWIW, I've found that GW's Golden Yellow produces a very nice, warm yellow color with only a couple of thin coats. It's what I'm using for my Epic Iyanden Eldar, which you've seen.
What do you use as an undercoat/basecoat.
Everytime I've tried painting yellow, it has come out very blotchy and it hasnt dried smoothly.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:19 am

Primarch wrote:What do you use as an undercoat/basecoat.
Everytime I've tried painting yellow, it has come out very blotchy and it hasnt dried smoothly.
I actually paint yellow Totally the Wrong Way, taking advantage of the forgiving nature of 6mm models - I start with a black basecoat and drybrush a few (thin, so it doesn't get chalky) coats of white over that, so just the nooks and crannies are still black, then build up the yellow from there. That might work at 28mm, but I'd probably just start with a white undercoat. At any rate, the yellow goes on like this:

Two or three coats of very thin yellow. It'll look a bit streaky here, and you have to be careful to let each coat dry completely before moving on to the next, so it doesn't get even more lumpy and brush-strokey.

A thin wash of a mix of brown ink and yellow paint to create some shadow. This also starts to even out the streaking.

From here I build up one or two layers of yellow highlights, mostly just with the aim of killing some of the dull the brown brings. (I might be tempted to do more than that in 28mm.) I use a mix of golden yellow and a Vallejo lemon yellow I have. Very thin paint, and ending up with nothing too bright - my smallest, brightest highlights are still not even straight lemon yellow, very thin. No white in the mix at all. Again, this step does a lot to even out blotchiness. I usually take the fact that the color looks even as a stopping point.

In fact, I'll often think the yellow looks like complete blotchy crap until I get all the way to the final stages, when suddenly it looks quite nice - I remember seriously thinking about scrapping the Warlock titan and starting over fresh from a white undercoat at least two or three times as I was painting it.

The number one take-home lesson, I guess, is always use multiple coats of very thin paint at every stage, and build up lots of coats.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”