Harlequin awesomeness

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Harlequin awesomeness

Post by Primarch » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:11 pm

me_in_japan wrote:The one where your entire army cant infiltrate behind enemy lines, murder their superior officers, crucify em, and have the entire enemy army essentially operating with a Ld of 1.
Just like regular marines cant wipe out entire armies single handed, defeat gods and norn-queens in hand to hand combat etc etc. No army comes close to matching its fluff on the table top. No-one would play a game where their HQ was dead before the game started.
If you want infiltrators, max out on chosen.
Those tactics could equally be applied to Raven Guard (sans crucifiction) or Alpha Legion.
me_in_japan wrote:I'm a big believer in pre-heresy night lords. post heresy night lords are just black legion beotches. Totally uninspiring.
Nope, Blue.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Night_Lords
That picture is from Index Astartes II
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:49 pm

I didnt say that they werent blue pre heresy. I said that they were cool. Pre-heresy they were dark, shadowy creatures of the night. Stalkers, hunters - death on the wind. Dat kinda stuff.

Post heresy - bleh. Theres nowt to differentiate em from most any other generic chaos legion, especially given the constraints of the current codex. (and I shall say no more on this matter - I'll save y'all the repetition.)

And if you re-read my original post about the night lords, you'll notice that before I said "unplayable with the current codex" I said "As a faction in-game, night lords dont really work." The current codex remark was a specific example of the greater problem, to whit: their background makes them inappropriate for a tabletop wargame.

This is because in order to play them according to their background theyd have to win/lose before the game even started. Their army tactical style (and that of the Raven Guard, too) is just not suited to the current 40k ruleset. That doesnt mean they should be removed from teh game, but it does mean theyre better suited to stories than to the tabletop. SW, BA, and most other marine chapters can adequately represent their fluff on the tabletop. The infiltratey/sabotagey ones just cant.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:00 pm

me_in_japan wrote:And as for blue armour? peh. It looks daft and always has done, as do the big bat wing crests on the helmets. Night Lords wear black, like all proper bogeymen
Granted, the bat wings do look silly.
But they dont wear black.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:07 pm

me_in_japan wrote:This is because in order to play them according to their background theyd have to win/lose before the game even started. Their army tactical style (and that of the Raven Guard, too) is just not suited to the current 40k ruleset. .
And it never will be. In the same way that Guard armies dont get to spend 200 turns before the game shelling their opponents with long range barrages. Or that Tyranids dont get to deploy 100x more models than their opponents.
Some things you just have to accept otherwise the game is essentially impossible to play.

Besides which, the Night Lords cant always infiltrate, kill the enemy command etc etc. Sometimes they have to fight normally. The times when they infiltrate etc are the times when you aren't playing games with them.

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:44 pm

you guys sure know how to take a conversation off track... :D :D :D

I was hopping to see two face in the mix... guess he got left out...
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:14 am

ok, granted. but all right thinking folks know they should wear black. They do in my head, anyway :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:18 am

Admiral-Badruck wrote:you guys sure know how to take a conversation off track... :D :D :D

I was hopping to see two face in the mix... guess he got left out...
He'd make a cool harliequin, thats for sure. Far better than Clayface or Killer Croc at any rate.
me_in_japan wrote:
ok, granted. but all right thinking folks know they should wear black. They do in my head, anyway :D
Thats fine then. :D

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”