Getting Started In 40k Means Getting Started In Painting

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Re: Getting Started In 40k Means Getting Started In Painting

Post by Mike the Pike » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:52 pm

@M_i_J: :o OMG, you really go through all that every time you paint a mini. No wonder the word 'glacial' has been bandied about in reference to your good self (usually in the same paragraph as 'brilliant stuff' I must add) :D
Morituri nolumus mori!

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:57 pm

Spevna wrote:I'm just glad that nobody made the connection with my post and the fact that I have a crew cut and lift weights! Phew.......doh!
We had all made the connection Spev. :D It's just most of us believe in the words of the Great G. Coleman, who encouraged his many followers with his ever-so-wise observation that 'It takes different strokes to rule the world'. :lol:
Morituri nolumus mori!

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:10 pm

M-i-J I new you loved painting but not that much... Mmmmm Paint... Mmmm cancer.... mmmm poison... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: just don't do what he is telling you with oil paints or any of the paints from the Tamiya line. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: hell I would not have not put a paint brush in my mouth for years :mrgreen: if that is best way to paint models I am going to have to stick with my craFTy paint jobs... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:13 pm

GW stuff is non-toxic, but I still dont want an Ultramarine Blue tongue or Skull White lips.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:21 pm

...and thats why the putting-in-the-mouth comes after the washing-the-brush-twice.

And as Prim says - GW, P3 and Vallejo paint is non toxic. It says so on the bottle so it must be true. Besides, airbrushing'll do me in long before brushlicking does...

aaaand, as previously mentioned, the brush doesnt go in your mouth, per se, just between your lips to form the point of the brush. The tongue doesnt get involved. (at least, mine doesnt. I have no idea what Prim, Mike and Badruck get up to...)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:25 pm

me_in_japan wrote:The tongue doesnt get involved. (at least, mine doesnt. I have no idea what Prim, Mike and Badruck get up to...)
As I said, no brushlicking for me. Now metal minis on the other hand....mmmm tastes like brain damage.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:28 pm

I always lick my brush to a fine point. I found it the best way to do it.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:43 pm

I stopped model and brush licking after those fuddy-duddies at the EU removed all the lead from hobby/model paints. Now I have to get my fix of Plumbum from ruined Roman aqueducts :lol:
Morituri nolumus mori!

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:51 pm

no toxic means it will not kill you quickly.... do something for me. Drink a bottle of paint and if it does not make you the least bit sick then I guess it is not bad for you. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: that said back when I licked my brush I was a lot worse a painter than I am now.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Domikaze
Rookie

Post by Domikaze » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:55 am

Thanks for all of the great, great advice guys! I am a bit of a perfectionist, so even though I know it will take some time to learn how to paint well, I seriously want to learn and eventually paint well.

I think I decided on red for my Orks clan color. I know that there are probably a lot out there and it's kind of default, but it's my favorite color combo with that green skin of theirs and I want my models looking nice, damnit! :mrgreen:

With that in mind, I found this really good guide and think I would like to base my Orks off of this:

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/sho ... hp?t=10920

But, being completely new to this I am wondering if I could get it to look so well anytime in the near future, though. Haha. :roll:

I think I would also like my red a bit more vibrant. But, I am not really sure if I am biting off more than I could chew with this. I don't mind spending the time to make my models look good, but I don't know if I am being unrealistic as a beginner or anything.

Basically, the only thing holding up my order is the paints. It's hard to decide what I want for everything when I have no idea where to start. So, I appreciate the advice and any more that you all may have.

I definitely appreciate and would love to take you guys (MiJ and Badruck) on that offer of some lessons and tutorials. Luckily, my two buddies out here have been painting models for years and have already been giving me some great advice. But, the more help I can get, the better.

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”