Getting Started In 40k Means Getting Started In Painting

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Domikaze
Rookie

Re: Getting Started In 40k Means Getting Started In Painting

Post by Domikaze » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:58 am

Also, do all of you get your paints online? Do you just use the citadel ones?

I saw a sUGAR ton at Joshin and was wondering if anyone has any experience with those paints. Again, I have no idea what the difference of any of these paints would be, so I don't know if they are complete crap or not.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:19 am

Domikaze wrote:Also, do all of you get your paints online? Do you just use the citadel ones?

I saw a sUGAR ton at Joshin and was wondering if anyone has any experience with those paints. Again, I have no idea what the difference of any of these paints would be, so I don't know if they are complete crap or not.
Actually, paints are one of the few things I buy from the stores, but thats usually because I need a certain colour at the time. I mainly use GW paints and they are good. I also make use of Vallejo paints, which are also pretty good. I have used Tamiya paints from time to time, but I generally find them to be of a lower quality than the others. I know people like to use them to air-brush with, but for everyday painting I would avoid them (even though they are cheaper). Tamiya weathering powders (they look like a make-up case) are very good though and make it easy to dirty up your vehicles, something that orks need so pick up some of those (black or brown will work well).
There are a lot of different paints and brands on the market and there is absolutely nothing stopping you from mixing and matching as you see fit. Pick up a starter box with the basic colours and then buy what you need to finish your models. Most of the paints will mix together with no problem so you can often create shades you want without buying specific paints. Its just easier to buy them ready mixed.

Two things you should buy are Devlan Mud and Thraka Green, two of citadel's washes. These go over your regular paint to provide shading. Its a quick and easy technique that will really make your minis shine.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:07 am

I get mine at the home centres over here (Khama and Dio World). Some of them carry a brands called Americana and Delta Ceramacoat;

They come in 2fl oz./59.1ml pots for 157 yen. The give you a comparison, the GW ones come is 12ml pots. They are a bit thick so will need watering down (which is a good idea anyway). I have been using them for years and have no complaints.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:21 pm

The Tamiya Paints are good but only out of an airbrush most of the paints in the model shops are very hard to use if you do not use them out of an Airbrush... because they are not truly water based paints you have to thin them with thiner and water just make them a mess. GW Paints are very easy to use. the paints Spevna uses are great too and a lot cheaper and look great as well.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Domikaze
Rookie

Post by Domikaze » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:24 am

me_in_japan wrote:paints:

Black
White
good, strong red (e.g. GW blood red)
dark brown (e.g. P3 umbral umber)
light brown/tan (e.g. GW bubonic brown)
bone (e.g. GW bleached bone, Vallejo Bonewhite)
dark blue (Foundation Necron Abyss see below)
mid blue (e.g. GW ultramarine)
dark green (e.g. GW Dark Angel green or GW foundation orkhide shade)
mid green (e.g. GW emerald green)
strong yellow (e.g. GW golden yellow AND GW foundation Iyanden darksun)
dark metal (e.g. GW bolt gun metal)
light metal (e.g. GW mithril silver)
shiny gold (e.g. GW shining gold, P3 brass balls)

Devlan Mud: AKA magic juice. Possibly the most useful paint ever made. its a muddy brown colour.
Thraka green - important if you plan on painting green things.
Badab black - useful for metals.

Orkhide shade (a very dark green)
Iyanden darksun (a slightly brownish yellow)
Mechrite red (darkish red)
Calthan Brown (mid brown)
Necron Abyss (v dark blue)

the last "special" paint id recommend is a metallic colour from GW called Tin Bitz. Its a dark brassy colour, and is an ace base coat for any metal.

Ogreenskins :mrgreen:
So, going into this I am wondering if I am gonna need all of these paints? What kind of colors would be good for starters with my orcs? All of these? I am probably just looking for some greens, reds, browns, blacks, and whatever else (like white for their teeth or something).

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:55 am

Domikaze wrote: So, going into this I am wondering if I am gonna need all of these paints? What kind of colors would be good for starters with my orcs? All of these? I am probably just looking for some greens, reds, browns, blacks, and whatever else (like white for their teeth or something).
Get a black and a white and you can mix a little in with the other colours to give you more variety.
For Orks you'll need a Dark Green and a Medium Green (Orkhide Shade and Snot green if you use GW paints). Then get a medium shade of any other colours you want to use. Plan your color scheme a little beforehand and only buy what you need.
If you have any cash left, Devlan Mud is a great way to add shading to a model, you just paint it over the top of anything. Thraka Green may be useful for Orks skin and Badab Black is nice for metals.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:56 am

i kinda figure the colours i listed as a bare minimum. Im sure plenty of people will disagree with me, and I know it seems like a lot, but you can get the whole shebang for about 32 quid from wayland (one set of 6 GW paints for 11 quid, and the other 14 from Vallejo for about 21 quid.) Thats about 4200yen, all in. i.e. about the same as a GW box set of figs. This set of paint will last you pretty much indefinitely, and all of them will be used on pretty much every model you paint.

Oh. One thing. Do Not Use White to Highlight or Black to Shade*. This is the gospel according to Europe, and everyone knows European painters are the best :P

Observe this rule from the get go, and your painting will be much better. Read a bit about colours. There a lot of info out there, and you dont really need to know 10% of it, but if i could recommend one thing, itd be to learn about colour theory and opposite colours n whatnot.

Feel free to disregard this advice - pretty much everyone else on this forum does, and nowt terrible ever happened to them, but its something I wish I had known when I started painting. Woulda saved a lot of un-learning of bad habits in later years.

so, thats my thoughts. Enjoy em or ignore em, tis entirely up to you. No offence will be taken :)

*White+another colour+base colour is OK. Likewise, black.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

dyllybones
Rookie

Post by dyllybones » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:09 am

Dom, in reference to Corey and I painting for years... I'm afraid that is only true of Corey, and he, despite being good, is usually too modest to admit to his skill.
I'm afraid the only two warjacks of mine that ever ended up looking good were far from the most detailed works ever. They looked more like mud-spattered cel-shaded giant robots.
That actually sounds really cool now that I think about it.

I have really been looking forward to painting plastic minis, which I'm sure is loads easier than metal.
However, "easy" is relative, and I am sure my Space Wolves could use plenty of expert help, so I will be paying attention to this thread as (if) it progresses. My army will also have red as a secondary color, so any tips that way will help.
Mainly, I am going to need pointers from you painters about properly doing FUR. Yeesh.

And I can echo what has been said about painting yellow. It sucks. Eight-some-odd layers-worth of suckage.
Warmachine/Hordes: Cygnar and Mercs (No models in Japan)
Warhammer 40K: Starting Space Wolves (Custom chapter "Wendigo Descendants")

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:58 am

dyllybones wrote:Mainly, I am going to need pointers from you painters about properly doing FUR. Yeesh.
If you're talking about fur that is sculpted onto the space wolf kits, its easy. Depending on whether or not you want to do grey or brown, just change the colours around.

Start with a dark grey, paint all of the fur in that colour.
Take a medium grey, wipe the excess off the brush onto a tissue and lightly rub the brush over the raised edges of the fur.
Take a light grey and again, wipe the excess off. Lightly brush over the raised edges, particularly towards the bottom part of the piece. Make sure to leave some of the mid colour showing.
Get some black wash and add a tiny bit of water. (Badab Black if using GW paints or just mix about 3:1 water with standard black paint) and brush it over all of the fur. Lay the model flat on it's back/front so that it doesnt run towards the bottom. The wash should go into the recesses of the fur giving a dark shadow effect and should also help to blend the 3 greys together.
Practice this on a spare shoulder pad before you do it to a real model and see how you like it.

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:24 pm

With fur I would say... make dry brushing your friend if you do it any other way is looks like a wet fur stay a way from washes they give it a dead look... paint it black dry brush a dark Brown or gray over the black make sure that is dry and then hit it with a lighter shade of brown or grey. with a very thin brush give it a few patches of a 50/50 scull white and some other gray or brown... do not be afraid to do parts grey and brown on the same pelt looks more like a real wolf or Coyote.. I should now I have certainly seen plenty of pelts.. Voss would no even more he is from Montana...
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”