WIP Thread

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: WIP Thread

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:40 pm

@spev and konrad: done and done.

@ all else: just a quick update. I spent the past few days doing the head, with the intent of having it underlit and all moody and whatnot. I found blending from white to black in the space of the depth of his nose to be such a bugger that I near gave up on it, persevered, and eventually got a somewhat blocky but currently accetable level of blending, then attempted to reattach head.

No sir, not today.

I have no idea how I got it off in the first place, much less how Dlord got it on, but there is no way on gods green earth that that head is going on that body and facing any direction other than staring into his left shoulderpad.

After much grunting and straining I managed to get it onto the body, but in the process rubbed off most of the paint on the head, and a good deal off the shoulders.

Spent next coupla days fixing it.

Have now decided not to underlight it and just have it lit ambiently from the gloves, albeit somewhat brighter than it technically should be. It is his face, after all. Focal point, and whatnot.

Im now starting the wee spot lights on his backpack, from which the rear of the mini will be lit. Theyll be yellow, which means he'll be blue in front and yellow at the back. Probly representative of something deep n meaningful, but I dunno what. Maybe "We are Grey. We stand between the candle and the star" or something equally Delenn...(yes, I have been chain-watching bab5 recently. Just watched S2E22 - the Centauri just bombed the Narn back into the stone age by slinging rocks at em from space. Those naughty, naughty Centauri. Still, theyll get theirs, oh yes they will...)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:29 pm

some work wot I did on Corax:

The head is not finished. There needs to be much more glow on the left of his face (his left) and general smoothing of blends.

The backpack is looking ok, i reckon. The effect isnt really this harsh - its just a quick pic taken with flash then photoshopped a bit for contrast.

one final pic is my side project (worked on only after at least 2 hrs of corax. Rest assured Prim, youre getting priority...)

-d

hmmn. Power weapon, daemon hand, power fist, or lightning claw. Doushiyou...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:11 pm

The lighting on the backpack is sharp!

Er, sharp as in cool, not merely sharp as in well-defined. Although it is. Well-defined I mean. It's sharp at least in part because it's sharp.

Er.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:29 pm

The Other Dave wrote:The lighting on the backpack is sharp!

Er, sharp as in cool, not merely sharp as in well-defined. Although it is. Well-defined I mean. It's sharp at least in part because it's sharp.

Er.
Best stop whilst you are ahead there mate. :D
Yes, it does look cool though. But do I mean cool as in stylish or cool as in the shade of colours he is using? You be the judge!
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:41 pm

Someone has been watching 'American Chopper' Just remember not to alienate your sons and staff in your pursuit of rices and fame like Paul Senior :D
Morituri nolumus mori!

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:58 pm

I think that you and I will end up with almost identical bike Lords. I have one on a chopper with a power glove raised.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:48 am

D'oh, I was so gonna steal that idea too. :lol:
Morituri nolumus mori!

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:20 am

Spevna wrote:I think that you and I will end up with almost identical bike Lords. I have one on a chopper with a power glove raised.
Mike the Pike wrote:D'oh, I was so gonna steal that idea too. :lol:
but, ahaha, mine will have a bigger biker belly than either of yours :D

I'm contemplating a beard, too, but cant quite figure how it would look on a marine. Im also worried it would look like this:

(this is a real pic of a real person I saw in hawaii. I was filled with respect for his beard, and filled with mirth at his scooter posture...)

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:28 am

I left my ding-dang camera at work, so no pictures just yet, but I reckon a running tally will help keep me working.

At 21 days till Hallo-War, the models to paint for my 2000-point Gobbo force are:
10 spider riders
6 fanatics
2 trolls
2 stone throwers plus crew
1 gobbo warboss

That's pretty close, actually! Just for fun I have my two blocks of 44 goblin spearmen sitting out on my painting table, and they look pretty dang impressive.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:21 pm

Well after a long time not posting anything, I have some of my new dark elves to show off. None of them are finished yet, but here's what I got so far.

I think the blue colors go well with the black contrast. I'm also thinking of making the bases snow colored as well with ice blue as the base color then going up to white with an unknown middle color, but I worry that it will take away from the blues on the model already.

For the sorceress, the details were a nightmare. I needed a smaller brush (I used one size, the starter brush, the whole time) and glasses to take away the eye strain.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”