What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: What did you do today.

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:48 am

Primarch wrote:@ToD - You're getting a wee bit obsessive don't you think? :lol: :lol:
I am perhaps setting the bar a bit low comparing myself to Mike "everything is purple" the Pike, heh.

Finished up my Redemptah just now - it may be Stockholm Syndrome, but I've really come to love the model, spindly ankles and all. Plus it's friggin' yooge, which will save me 75 pounds on a Leviathan since it's just as big, making a very nice centerpiece.

"Never talk to me or my son ever again," et cetera et cetera.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:56 am

GW Manager - "Nobody is buying dreadnoughts anymore, what can we do to make them popular again?"
GW Designer - "How about putting the dreadnought inside a dreadnought?"
GW Manager - "...Genius!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't mind the model so much, but it looks like there is a piece of armour missing. I think it needs something to cover the head.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:58 am

Very nice work there, ToD. I like your approach to black- it maintains blackness while showing off the forms of the mini with the edge highlighting. Jobs a good un.

@prim - yay! Clear Red for te winz! Blood, blood eeeeevrywherr!!!!
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:30 am

Primarch wrote:GW Manager - "Nobody is buying dreadnoughts anymore, what can we do to make them popular again?"

I don't mind the model so much, but it looks like there is a piece of armour missing. I think it needs something to cover the head.
Well, you can't very well cover up the vision slit, can you? (I really hate that all the evidence suggests it's literally a vision slit and not, like, a camera or something.)
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Primarch wrote:GW Manager - "Nobody is buying dreadnoughts anymore, what can we do to make them popular again?"

Well, you can't very well cover up the vision slit, can you? (I really hate that all the evidence suggests it's literally a vision slit and not, like, a camera or something.)
What if you put the vision slit inside a bigger vision slit? Then you could have extra vision? :D

Nice paint work either way. Your black and yellow look neat, crisp and vivid. Well done with the Chapter symbol as well.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:14 am

And you know, I just realized something that will bug me a very little bit for ever. When I did the Ironclad, I painted the chapter symbol on the nice big flat area on the side of the hurricane bolters, on the right, and then, kind of on a whim, put a "close support" squad marker on the other shoulder, since that's roughly its role. So when I painted the Venerable, I stuck with the pattern, putting an "elite" squad marker on the left shoulder and the chapter marker on the right, and then did it again for the Redemptor - HQ skull on the left, chapter symbol on the right.

But on the marines on foot, the squad marker is on the right shoulder and the chapter symbol is on the left. It's backwards. :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:33 am

Now, some people would be ok with that. Some people would feel the need to go back over the incorrect models and do them again. Sadly I know which category I fall in. :lol: Hopefully you're less OCD than me.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:43 pm

Fortunately I'm somewhere in between. I'm not exactly OK with it - it's going to niggle at me forever - but I also don't mind enough to make me feel like I should strip off transfers and repaint. :lol: Plus, of course, it's my custom livery so I can say it's supposed to be this way. :lol:
-----

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:13 pm

@TOD: at least it’s only a model for a game set in an imaginary universe. You could be Guy Sajer, the author of ‘The Forgotten Soldier’, a generally well regarded memoir(?) of life in the German Heer’s ‘Gross Deutschland’ division who ‘forgot’ what side they wore their honorary cuff title. There are still parts of the interwebs smoldering over whether that invalidates the entire book or not. :roll:
Morituri nolumus mori!

jehan-reznor
Champion

Post by jehan-reznor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:26 pm

I like that Dreadnought except that potbelly.

Next nurgle marine i am working on
http://78.media.tumblr.com/6d66deecf612 ... 1_1280.jpg

And the finished SD card reader BFG heavy transporter finished
http://78.media.tumblr.com/3d78ba7ae9a6 ... 3_1280.jpg
http://78.media.tumblr.com/0615c1e21435 ... 2_1280.jpg

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”