What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
ashmie
Wargod

Re: What did you do today.

Post by ashmie » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:59 am

@ Lovejoy and Yellowstreak

Good luck with new changes and jobs etc. Although a bit daunting a change is as good as a rest in the long run. :) I still look back on my 4 hours a day Japan job teaching business engineers and getting paid close to 400,000 en some months! Incredible. The best job I ever had in terms of pay. Glad I changed things up and I hope to be able to earn and enjoy a job like that again someday. I'm now on minimum wage in the UK. Like the job but the stress is high for the money we receive. Keep working abroad if you can. Gambatte kudasai.
Currently saving to do a masters in military history. (Just so I can meet some historical players you understand). :)
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:41 pm

I'm painting the beastman warband for Mordheim that I've had sitting in a box since ... well, since it was for sale. :)

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:47 pm

Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:58 pm

ashmie wrote:Currently saving to do a masters in military history. (Just so I can meet some historical players you understand). :)
Sounds like fun, does your local uni offer the course or will you be doing the course online?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Dekana
Veteran

Post by Dekana » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:59 am

@ashmie
That's a fitting background for the scene, hah.

@kojibear
Yeah, I'm starting to speed up a bit. I took my time with the first model to make sure I had the colors right.

Yesterday I painted up the rest of the previous trooper's infantry squad.
Washes not applied yet, and I need to magnetize an arm for one special weapon trooper.
This makes 3 infantry squads painted, so I think I'll work on some HQ characters next. I'd like to have my naghammer force fully painted, so I'd better make a list before painting further.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:23 am

I went by Yodobashi Camera in Sakae today.

Yodobashi, for some reason, had an Eisenhorn in stock.

My Nagoyahammer list now includes Inquisitor Eisenhorn. :lol: (And gave up Chapter Tactics to do so - the things I do for coolness! Sadly, no amount of list fiddling could free up the 25 points for Cherubael, but I don't have a suitable model for him anyway.)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 16 infantry

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:24 am

@ Prim. I looked int the University of Exeter which is hard to get in to. Richard Overy a WW2 buff is a Prof there. My friend who studied archaeology advises me I should do a BA in history first to understand the basic concepts of historical research. Might make sense. Seeing as it's for my interest rather than to get a job it might be worth thinking about it for the long haul. That's a lot of money though at 9 grand a year. Maybe OU would be a good way of studying as you say.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:02 pm

I asked my ex if she could take a look at my latest models. She sighs as normal. Before marriage she loved them, as soon as we married she hated them. "Why must I look at models now", she says. I say because I don't have anyone here to show them to. She sighs further as they are largely historical war related. She even helped me paint some and did a fantastic orc tattoo on a Warhammer giants belly. My son then sees the cabinet over her shoulder. WOAH SUGOI he yells. WOW AMAZING. My model making friends will know what an auspicious moment this is. One that took me by surprise but filled my heart. After years of rejection its wonderful to have our hobbies and interests accepted and admired by family. Especially from our sons and daughters.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:34 am

Also I got started on my Dunecrawler last night:

I'm just sort of taking the standard Gryphonne "mottled gray" scheme and playing with it a bit - mostly because large flat areas of pale gray would drive me bonkers. Next I just have to get the dazzle scheme done, add yellow trim and unit markings, and weather the crap out of it and it'll be done. The scheme kind of makes me want to get some Kastelans even though I hadn't planned to - big stompy robits would look pretty boss done up this way.

I have to say, though, this weekend I took the plunge and picked up a bottle of matte medium and it makes painting smooth light colors so much nicer than just thinning with water.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 16 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:29 am

@Ashmie - I guess some kind of foundation work is necessary for a post-graduate course. It sounds expensive though. For that kind of money you could buy a LOT of books and enjoy the research and information collection without the stress of tests and deadlines. But, if it's something you feel passionate about doing, then go for it.

@ToD - Nice! It reminds me of a battleship, just with more legs.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”