What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: What did you do today.

Post by Primarch » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:21 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:33 pm
big up 'nuff respect to you, Prim. Novamarines are not the easiest chapter to paint, but you've gripped this particular coconut firmly by the husk. Keep up the good work, sir! *rips off a snappy salute*
They're not that difficult. I've found that you really only need three things to paint them.
1. Concentration
2. Perseverance
3. A burning hatred for people who throw Double-dog Dares around on a whim.
After that, the task is an easy one. :D

#edit#
Down to the edge highlighting and then on to the basing.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:32 pm

@Primarch: Firstborn Marines! Those look great. I really love seeing people go for one of the lesser known successor chapters, especially when they're from Badab. Also as someone who used to play Empire in WHFB, I feel your pain on the quartering.

As for me, I just finished up a small squad of noisy boys. Apologies for the terrible photo.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:29 pm

Awesome Nova Marines, Prim! I can't help but salute the courage of anyone willing to quarter.

Matt, great Noise Marines, I'm so excited to take the fight to them! How's the force as a whole coming along?

For my part I assembled another squad of Van Vets, an Infiltrator squad and Incursor squad today. I also played online against my Ork using friend and lost again, though this time I had more models alive than him in the fifth turn. I just need to stop putting myself into positions where I need good rolls (or at least not bad ones) all the time and I probably could win with this force.

Or leave the Repulsor Executioner at home. It's not actually good against Orks, the combination of high toughness and having invulns most of the game with only really having one good gun with two shots makes it very chancy. The middling guns fall foul of Ramshackle and the chaff clearers don't clear much on 5s to wound.

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:29 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:29 pm
Matt, great Noise Marines, I'm so excited to take the fight to them! How's the force as a whole coming along?
Slow and steady. I have a ramshackle 25PL thrown together, but for my 50PL list I'm still waiting on those new posessed. Damn it GW, just let me give you money already!
Last edited by Mattb on Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:47 pm

I do love how those noise marines are looking.

In my own Horus Heresy news, I finished up my sixth and most-likely final engine for my Legio Mordaxis battlegroup:
The posing feels a bit wonky to me (it doesn't really have the sense of weight of the other two Reavers), but them's the dangers of fully-articulated legs. Still, the paint job turned out well, and I'm especially pleased with the base.
Here's the lot of them:
That's the last titan I'll paint for the foreseeable future (mostly, as I've said, because my titan shelves are just full). The only other things I want are a "for sure, but someday, and only if there's nothing else in the hobby wishlist for that month" Warmaster for my Gryphonicus force, and a "maybe someday, if I can look those foot pistons in the face again" Dire Wolf for the Griffons as well.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:25 am

Such good paint jobs are wasted on Traitor Legios 😅

Whereas mine don't quite do Loyalists justice. Speaking of Loyalists...

Senior Astartes of a company-level force of unknown chapter that have come to the aid of Master Inquisitor Tara's Crusade. While they have not formally joined her command, they are reported to be close to the Daughters of Russ and Emperor's Scythes, who refer to them as "the Third" or "the Perfect".

Edit: I now have a legal purple Combat Patrol but it would kind of suck by itself so I need to paint more. I've been playing the Crusade online in Incursion games and getting repeatedly trounced by Orks and while so far the whole roster is primed, painting a few models that aren't earning their keep will be a little tough 😅. I'm tossing up whether it's OK to field models I painted up for Imperial Fists/Dark Angels alongside them or if the whole team really needs to be purple.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:45 pm

Assault elites of "The Third".

While displaying a marked preference for the sword, following discussions of the realities of the theatre and gifts from the Daughters of Russ* these marines largely switched to hammers and claws for deployment. Their leaders, bearing suprisingly ancient and exquisite blades, had less incentive to alter their approach.

The Primaris amongst them appears to be accorded the rank of Captain but with few if any actual command duties. He is referred to by the Daughters as "the duelist" and may be adopting a ritual role, sublimating some dire sins of his mysterious chapter.

* The weapons bear neither the distinctive marks of Iron Priest Herja's forge in particular or Fenris in general, so it is not clear where the Daughters obtained them. That does make it clearer why they would so lightly give them away.

(I had some trouble here with Nuln Oil Gloss pooling because I didn't pay attention and used too much)

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:04 pm

My very tiny heresy train continues to careen down the track with no tiny brakes:
Once again, thanks to jus for the printing service!

(I realized the other day that it's been a good few years since I hosted an epic event or did an epic effortpost - if any relatively-new forum members would appreciate my waxing all lyrical about how great epic is, let me know. :lol:)

@Jye, all this purple nonsense has officially convinced my to paint up the elven blitz bowl team I've had kicking around in full Evangelion colors!
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:22 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:04 pm
@Jye, all this purple nonsense has officially convinced my to paint up the elven blitz bowl team I've had kicking around in full Evangelion colors!
Yessss. I plan to do my Tau in Eva 02 colours when I finally stop interrupting them with random projects.

Elegance of Wrath, heavy support for the Third. It has already seen very hard fighting against the Orks, explaining its less than impeccable condition, where it has served more ably as cover and roadblock than gun platform.

(These things suck in small games 😂. They have too many varied guns on one chassis so at any given time it's hard to have good targets for all or even most of them and splitting fire for good effect is rough. The classic scenario is the enemy all being in transports, so even if you crack one open with the big guns it's too late to allocate shots to the passengers.

That being said it did great last night in a 100PL game where Eradicators and Dreads cracked one transport, allowing it to fire small and middle guns at the passengers while the big ones helped to crack the second)

Edit: as expected the Luxion Purple pooled and streaked on armour, more like a classic Contrast than Baal Red or Imperial Fist. It's not as bad IRL as in the photo so I'm content.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:22 am

I finished up the dudes to ride in those rhinos too:
Doing the trim on the shoulder pads was surprisingly easy, and really made me regret (much too late) not trying to do facing colors on my 6mm Napoleonics colleciton.
-----

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”