What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Mattb
Veteran

Re: What did you do today.

Post by Mattb » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:32 am

@Dave: your little chibi Marines are adorable.

I finished these two up the other day, but close enough. Behold: mohawk Voldemort and his wizard pal.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:29 am

Lovely work as always Matt - did you see the Posessed etc are up for preorder now? I remember they were part of your plan.

Looking forward to the Emperor's Children showdown!

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:39 pm

Yeah, I'm loving those EC's, fantastic work, Matt!

My Epic 30K Death Guard force continues to burgeon, with some fancy Javelin speeders:

Kondo-san, who just got himself a 3D printer as well, proved unable to resist the call of tiny (in his case) Blood Angels, so who knows, I may actually get some games in! (Although as I mentioned at the games day last weekend, I do have enough Knights for a full 3000-point force, so roping people into demos is also fully on the table.)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:12 pm

The last Contemptor, surely 😅

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:17 am

Finished up some Vindicators and Sicarans for my 30K Death Guard over the past little bit:
Which gives me about 2000 points all done and dusted over the course of the past month. Some breachers and storm eagles for them to ride in, plus some contemptors of my own and I should get a comfy 3000 points wrapped up.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:10 pm

Those are some quality little tanks!

I thought I would paint less at the new job, but I reckoned without the endless induction zoom meetings 😅

More Poxwalkers, bringing me up to...39. One of the little buggers escaped the last priming run, so I'll need to get out into the park some morning just for him.

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:34 am

So I finally got around to using contrast paints for the first time; not much though, just magos purple to go back over the fire on the balefire acolyte because I wanted it to look brighter. I can definitely see the appeal of them - just one coat and a quick highlight and I was done. Although is the base colour meant to show up so clearly underneath? I tested it on a white scar and wraithbone base first and the base colour showed through really obviously - I'm not sure if it was because I used it wrong or if it was just because the contrast I was using was a really light one.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:33 am

Magos purple is super light. It really varies paint to paint, but I think a lot of folks use the lights ones as straight up washes.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:35 pm

my experience with contrast paints has been that the new ones (in the bigger bottles) are far more intensely pigmented than the previous ones. Earlier ones definitely work best as glazes or washes, although they can be used to colour an area if you dont mind doing several coats. The newer ones, though, are so well pigmented that they'll happily cover almost all the paint under them in one coat. (caveat: mostly the new ones I've used have been fairly dark. I've yet to try a yellow, for example).

So, aye - it varies?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:01 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:35 pm
my experience with contrast paints has been that the new ones (in the bigger bottles) are far more intensely pigmented than the previous ones. Earlier ones definitely work best as glazes or washes, although they can be used to colour an area if you dont mind doing several coats. The newer ones, though, are so well pigmented that they'll happily cover almost all the paint under them in one coat. (caveat: mostly the new ones I've used have been fairly dark. I've yet to try a yellow, for example).

So, aye - it varies?
Jye Nicolson wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:33 am
Magos purple is super light. It really varies paint to paint, but I think a lot of folks use the lights ones as straight up washes.
Cheers guys. Yeah, it looked similar to a shade at first, but its reassuring that I wasn't just using it wrong.

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”