What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Konrad
Wargod

Re: What did you do today.

Post by Konrad » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:11 am

Grantholomeu wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:08 am
Got my one (1) model done for the month. :D
Lovely (in a sinister spooky way of course) as always. The base is great. I do love me a well flocked base, but for this figure something shadowy, cobblestone-y, or creepy swampy, gnarled root-y maybe?
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:54 am

@Konrad

She's a font of life that doesn't let anything around her die, so I went for the green grass, and a little bit of dead plant-matter so it didn't look too stark, but I wanted to stay away from dead stuff because it'd go against the lore kinda.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:30 pm

Grantholomeu wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:54 am
@Konrad

She's a font of life that doesn't let anything around her die, so I went for the green grass, and a little bit of dead plant-matter so it didn't look too stark, but I wanted to stay away from dead stuff because it'd go against the lore kinda.
Ah! I see! The colors on the figure and the model itself were giving me a "Corpse-Bride meets Mary Poppins" vibe. But i get it now.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:06 pm

Another month, another Underworlds Warband to play at our monthly Ichinomiya day!

Not sure this was the best place to express my fealty to Luxion Purple but what are Underworlds warbands if not a place to try rando colour combinations?

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:55 pm

How did they end up doing?

For the peanut gallery: Jye and I went to our Ichinomiya Underworlds club meetup yesterday and had our first event for the release of the new season. Quite a few people showed up and it was good fun! My takeaways were: Mollog with a Tooth and Claw Nemesis deck wasn't nearly as oppressive as I was worried it might be, maybe because a lot of the more modern Rivals and Nemesis decks let you score for doing things besides worrying about Mollog. :lol: (My one blowout was versus Sepulchral Guard, the classic target-rich environment Mollog loves.) Lady Harrow's Mournflight with Daring Delvers was really good as long as my two-dodge defense rolls held, but struggled if I lost a couple models early - it still is one of my favorite warbands to play and I may keep them in rotation. Still, overall I was impressed with balance, even between Rivals and Nemesis, and as Jye noted on the day we had a whole lot of really close games.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:51 pm

The Gorechosen did surprisingly well with their base rivals deck and the two new ones - though as you said I think pretty much everyone but Sepulchral Guard did well, poor old skellies. I went 3-2 and one of the losses was a brilliant 14-13 game that I was just happy to have been a part of.

Their mechanic is neat - you start with one token on each fighter and can spend it for effects (ala Aetherquartz), but you get one for inflicting or taking damage, inspiring when you get 3. This gives you a bunch of mini-Mollogs where the opponent has to deal with the risk of inspiring you as they try to chip you down. A bit like Mollog though you're also often praying those early two dice attacks actually go through - it's definitely a team that wants any accuracy bonus it can find.

Overall though I was just really happy with how healthy the casual format seems to be for this ostensibly competitive game. Like I said I don't think I've ever seen so many close games, it was an absolute blast.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:57 am

I'm racing to assemble and prime a backlog before it gets too cold, and today's priming adventures are suggesting the window is very narrow. Conditions are precisely bad enough to cause problems without making you quit 😅

If there's enough passable priming days before the end of the year I expect to play Votann and Blood Angels in early 2023 (along with some new Underworlds teams). If not, they can stay grey plastic until spring and I'll play literally anything else.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:19 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:57 am
I'm racing to assemble and prime a backlog before it gets too cold, and today's priming adventures are suggesting the window is very narrow. Conditions are precisely bad enough to cause problems without making you quit 😅

If there's enough passable priming days before the end of the year I expect to play Votann and Blood Angels in early 2023 (along with some new Underworlds teams). If not, they can stay grey plastic until spring and I'll play literally anything else.
I am a big fan of black gesso priming, if you are going all grimdark and base black, it is good stuff. I picked up a bottle of Mr. Hobby Aqueous primer, white primer you can brush on. Have not given it a try yet, but the Gorkamorka-forta is undergoing a drastic "レニューアル" and will be testing it out this winter. Ork scrap projects are great for testing out new techniques. If it looks bad...eh...made out of junk anyways.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:07 am

Yeah brush on might be the way to go if there's a real emergency. My Sanguinary Guard squad for example is reliant on another box that I ordered from GW directly and could conceivably arrive after it becomes too damn cold 😅. Brush on might get the last couple of models across the line and keep me warm into the bargain.

Most likely though I'll shift my army playing schedule around and paint the grab-bag of random primed stuff in my total backlog during meetings and when the figure skating is on TV :lol:

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:04 pm

Working hard to get through all this resin.

Who said a banner couldn’t be a weapon! :D Ramming Speed! :D (Ok, so I may have gone a little overboard lol!)

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”