What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Mattb
Veteran

Re: What did you do today.

Post by Mattb » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:21 pm

Those Darkest Dungeon monsters are amazing! Such great designs and the fleshy paint jobs are disgustingly good as well.
Also that monochrome grey scale stuff looks cool as hell. I feel like it's one of those things that's so much harder than it looks though.

Meanwhile I tried out some of the new Cadians. The models are great and I love all the detail, but each one is going to take me so much longer. Also I don't think I'm ever going to figure out a good way to paint eyes.

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:13 pm

Wow everyone. Nice work, whether it be just getting things painted, or trying out a new painting style.

@Mattb - my current eye technique if it is of any help is:

- black base
- ivory or off white for whites of the eyes
- a vertical line of black or other colour of choice for the iris.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:00 pm

@Matt as for eyes, I think those guys look fine as is! Grizzled vets with eyes shadowed by their helmets and all that. (I almost never paint eyes myself, or at most just fill in the whole eye with white. If blank white eyes are good enough for old Jes Goodwin concept art, they're good enough for me! :lol:)

Incerdentally, and sort of tying in with some chat we had about painting in the "too much of a good thing" thread, the Black Magic Craft guy (a pro-click channel for neat videos about terrain projects!) recently posted a video about his own philosophy towards painting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee_xAxjbDfA, where he begins by talking about how the profusion of high-level pro painter channels on YouTube has probably warped a lot of people's ideas about painting goals.

And it really speaks to me personally (and describes my own painting technique pretty well to boot*). You can get some awfully good results if you shoot for "quick and good enough" for whatever your own personal values of "quick" and "good enough" may be, and figure out techniques that support that balance - that's a lot of how I've been able to bash out, er, 112 (I had to go back and count) miniatures for Darkest Dungeon in just over a month to a level that I'm very pleased with.

*Although I do drybrush instead of airbrush for preshading, almost never use actual metallics any more, don't fuss with oil washes (cleanup being a relative pain) and am not much of a fan of gore on minis. Everything else, though, is Pretty Much How I Do It.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:18 am

@Konrad - The monochrome Elf is done, if anything I will go back over it and paint it normally.
I haven't settled on a name for my Turnip28 regiment yet, but Prim's Parsnip Partisans might be okay. I hope to have my army finished by the spring, and maybe a second one if I can find time to assemble it.

@M_i_J - I hope Noah is feeling better soon.

@MattB - Honestly, I wouldn't bother painting the eyes (or edge highlighting for that matter) on a force like guard. They look great en-masse and you'll mainly be viewing them from a metre away. When you use a camera to take digital photos of them they look better fully painted, but on the table you won't notice.
My recipe for doing eyes is: Paint the skin, wash the skin, put a thin white streak on using a fine brush and thinned paint. After it dries, use a Gundam Marker pen to dot in the eyes. Then highlight the skin and use the highlight to erase all of the massive errors and googly eyes I painted. :lol:

@ToD - I'm going to add that BMC Youtube channel to my 'to watch' list, though I almost never do any terrain projects beyond MDF kits.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:10 pm

@MattB - those cadians are well in advance of anything I would do for an army that requires so many dudesmen. If you can get a whole cadian army looking like that on the tabletop, you could rightly be very proud of it. As for painting the eyes, I'm with Dave on this one - shade the whole socket, paint the eyeball ivory, and put a pupil in there somewhere if you can be arsed. I wouldnt, for guard, but it's up to you :)

@Dave - I can't even conceive of doing that many minis in a month. Hat's off to you *capdoff*

Noah is fine, btw. Poxy, but fine. Mostly he's just bored with being stuck inside and not being able to go out and run around like a mad eejit like he usually does. He's got an inflatable punchbag in his room and spent this afternoon casually demonstrating how much a) fitter and b) more flexible he is than me by doing double kicks at waist and head height for about half an hour. I swear that kid watches too much cobra kai :lol:

Oh, and for the TV watchers amongst you, I just finished Edgerunners today. It was...surprisingly poignant for a show that's about 50% explosions. I found it really hard to get over the nutso gunner girl being voiced by Staci from Boss Baby, though. That said, it wasnt really a radically different role, now I think on it...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:15 pm

That's such good painting folks. Love it all.

Here's a buzzer beater to go against Matt's guard today. I though I was done but I forgot I abandoned Shadowsun at 90% because I didn't like the scheme, and pivoted to Team Iron Man when the new Contrasts came out later. But I needed her to make points :lol:
Last edited by Jye Nicolson on Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:49 pm

@Jye - Nice work. Is there a reason the drones are missing parts of the top panel on the sides?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:32 pm

Primarch wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:49 pm
@Jye - Nice work. Is there a reason the drones are missing parts of the top panel on the sides?
They're Shadowsun's special drones, I guess she thinks it looks cool

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:58 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:10 pm

Noah is fine, btw. Poxy, but fine. Mostly he's just bored with being stuck inside and not being able to go out and run around like a mad eejit like he usually does. He's got an inflatable punchbag in his room and spent this afternoon casually demonstrating how much a) fitter and b) more flexible he is than me by doing double kicks at waist and head height for about half an hour. I swear that kid watches too much cobra kai :lol:
It is a certain rite of passage, that day you realize your son could kick your ass. Mine is a hulking 6` 2" 90+kilo ogre of a man, so that day came early for me. You might have a few more years. :lol:
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:38 pm

Last week I painted:
A Saurus Lord on Carnodon.
Some Arabs
Some Gnolls
A Predator
A Space Wolf captain
And a squad of Space Wolves.

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”